Thread: TC ICON SS Weathershield?

Default TC ICON SS Weathershield?

Anybody own, shot, played with one of these??? Reviews all look good and only drawback I see is they are a bit on the heavy side???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Anybody own, shot, played with one of these??? Reviews all look good and only drawback I see is they are a bit on the heavy side???
    I shot one of the first models in .308. "Ultrawood" stock, not the synthetic but it absolutely shot like a house on fire. That thing was solid as a rock and weighed half as much.

Lot of innovative features, particularly the bedding and integral weaver bases, but ultimately I decided there were better options for me.

They do have some cool features, I just wonder how long they will be around - I think S & W bought them to have a supply of AR barrels ??? I have not handled any, and don't know anyone that has, it seems we have a flood of guns from a variety of makers and a shrinking hunting community that does not need to buy several to fill their hunting needs.... I sure hate to see Made in America companies get knocked out by foreign competition...

Thx for the reply Hodgeman!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I haven't shot one, but my general thoughts about them are that it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist. While I'm sure they are good, dependable, accurate rifles, so are a multitude of other rifles. They do not fall into any particular niche...just an ordinary hunting rifle. They are heavy and, to my eye, butt ugly. So if you choose to go that route, I'm sure you'll be happy, but they aren't for me. Just my $.02.

You know how when you shoulder some guns they just fit and feel perfect. Well the Icon is 180 degrees from that in my opinion. They just feel awkward.

Looks like a heavy pos to me.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    You know how when you shoulder some guns they just fit and feel perfect. Well the Icon is 180 degrees from that in my opinion. They just feel awkward.
    EKC- that's kinda what I thought...just as awkward as an introvert 13 year old. Shot great but felt weird. To me a gun has to feel and fit right, good groups from a bench don't mean a thing if its a ungangly beast from a field position.

Its got some neat innovations but I think it will ultimately dissapear because none of its features really set it apart from the pack at its price point. Probably a decent rifle for stand hunting, but the world is chock full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I haven't shot one, but my general thoughts about them are that it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist. While I'm sure they are good, dependable, accurate rifles, so are a multitude of other rifles. They do not fall into any particular niche...just an ordinary hunting rifle. They are heavy and, to my eye, butt ugly. So if you choose to go that route, I'm sure you'll be happy, but they aren't for me. Just my $.02.
    Have no fear cO4hoosier, it was mearly an observation as of late the hunting shows have made a push to show the TC line ( especially the Venture model ), they must be dumping good sponsorship $$$ to try to garner more sales.
    Uhhh, somehow the UPS guy musta got my house confused cause yesterday he brought me a new Browning 6 1/2 lb SStalker XBolt in 308 - Hmmm how did he know what I wanted??? Well of course I said Awww, just leave it I will find some use for it... YUP

I've got a TC Weathershield in .300 Win Mag. It's an awesome rifle. The features for the money can't be beat. It's a very smooth rifle.

What I like:

1. The fact that it is heavier. I'm not an ultralight fan. I didn't buy it for sheep hunting. The extra weight makes it a sweet shooting magnum without a skull splitting brake on it.

2. The Hogue overmolded stock with machined aluminum bedding. I like the feel of it sooooo much more than hard shelled plasticy feeling ones. It's just darned comfortable on those frosty mornings. I like the Hogue so much that I bought one for my Winchester Classic .375.

3. The Weaver scope rails. Solid. I've got a Burris laser range finding scope on it. No rings. Rail to rail mounting, indestructible and dead solid. It makes for the lowest possible mounting system, and the most solid. Hard to see a better way to mount a scope.

4. The bolt. It's a monolithic wonder. It's also a snap to take apart and keep clean.

5. The trigger. Crisp, adjustable, can't ask for anything more. No trigger job needed at all.

6. The finish. Not shiny, not too ugly, just functional. I like it. Seems impervious to conditions.

7. The price.

8. Again, the bolt. Nice 60 degree of bolt angle lift. Makes for a smooth cycling bolt action.

It's a functional, very accurate weapon right of the box. It feels and shoots perfectly. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I like it. It's extremely well built. I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and it's been through a lot of weather and handling. It puts meat in the freezer just fine. It's a tool, and a great one. No need to baby it, no need for trips to the gun smith.

Again, for the money, it's very well worth it. I'd buy one again in a heart beat. I'd like a few more of them, a Warlord and a Precision Hunter.

Thx Sir for the nice inputs - I am on your side when it comes to largwer calibers / heavier gun wanted for sure. I strat to loose the fun of it shooting my 300 win mags after about 30 - 40 rounds for sure and thats in a beafy win 70 supergrade with wood stock that is pretty hefty....
    Sounds like you like the Burris scope - how well does that rangefinding system really work?

I hunt with someone who has an Icon Classic in 300WM. It is probably the finest production rifle I've ever handled. Fit, function, accuracy, trigger, short bolt throw, and looks all in one package. The only thing I would change is the tacky "Icon" engraving on the receiver.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Thx Sir for the nice inputs - I am on your side when it comes to largwer calibers / heavier gun wanted for sure. I strat to loose the fun of it shooting my 300 win mags after about 30 - 40 rounds for sure and thats in a beafy win 70 supergrade with wood stock that is pretty hefty....
    Sounds like you like the Burris scope - how well does that rangefinding system really work?
    It works perfectly. But, it is a piece of electronics. I got mine on clearance at Boondocks. A short review:

1. The scope, with the Icon, fits perfectly. It's a rail to rail fit. Seriously, there's no finer scope to rifle fit to be had. It's simply two double sided Weaver clamps. Tight, close, bulletproof.

2. The scope is stout. It's heavy, but we put it on the scale and it weighs about the same as a good range finder and scope. Even if the rangefinder didn't work, it's a pretty nice scope. I still have the pre-Eliminator version. But, you can send their regular range finding scope in and for $200 get it upgraded. I might do just that. If I want to target shoot, I'll do that, if I want to hunt, I'll use the rangefinding scope.

3. The scope is goofy large looking. It's a darned good thing that the scope DOES mount perfectly, because of it's profile, it needs all the help it can get.

4. The little remote fob is useless. I don't use it. I use the scope's button on the side, not the remote.

5. The scope works exactly as advertised. I've only ranged and shot with it out to 700 yards, the bullet hit exactly where it was ranged to. I called the Burris techs and got the values for the 180gr Nosler Partitions that I shoot. With the scope, with the exception of windage, I can put the bullet exactly where it needs to be. The greatest thing is that in the extremely dim light, once you find your moose in the scope, you never have to take your eyes off of him. Just watch, range, watch range, watch shoot! (precisely!) I don't know if other folks have seen the phenomenon of a moose disappearing in the brush while you switch between range finder, binocs, spotting scope or rifle scope, but it's pretty amazing how they can do that!

6. The ballistiplex reticle is the added benefit to the equation. You know your ranges for the crosshairs (just call the Burris support number with your load data or ammunition information and they'll supply you with it), you know exactly your range, it's a snap. Just range, line up the appropriate cross hatch reticle, adjust for wind, and watch the bullet hit precisely where you wanted it. All this without ever taking your eyes off of your target.

In short, I really like it. But, I have a Burris Signature Safari 1.75-5X on my .375 that doesn't have it and miss it a LOT. But, it has an illuminated reticle that my Burris laser scope does not have. I do believe I might go ahead upgrade it to the Eliminator because of that. (an illuminated reticle is awesome)

Dislikes:

Bulky.
    Goofy looking.
    A piece of electronic gear that needs batteries and might fail.

Instant range finding without having to reacquire my target.
    Dead solid rail to rail mounting.
    Awesome Burris quality and support.

I like gizmos. This is a good 'un. I like this scope almost as much as my Canon IS 10x42L binoculars (that's another write up!) It's most definitely not for the purists or the go simple and light crowd. But it does take so many variables out of semi long distance shooting. It also lets you keep your eye on the animal. No guessing, no wondering, just a clean precise placement to ensure minimum loss of meat due to extremely precise bullet placement. I've got other rifles, single shot, iron sighted ones. But, I just want to fill the freezer. I know that there's going to be some guff at this combination of equipment. It'll be from folks with airboats, airplanes, four wheelers, you name it. If they aren't hunting with a sharpened stick.....

I snapped a cheap camera shot through the scope so that you can see the way it looks. The distortions are because of the camera, not the scope.

Accurate bullet placement is a hoot!:

Looks like a very nice rig to me for sure! Great inputs "Sir", thank you very much!
    That could also be a great varmit combo on say a 243 - I have lost sight of more than one game animal for sure when switching gear...

Very good comments....THX