Thread: Any Luck with Hydrophones?

Default Any Luck with Hydrophones?

I was watching Alaska Outdoor Television a while back and one of the guys was using a hydrophone and was listening to whales thru a Honey Tone speaker box. Now I found the site that sells it but I was curious if anyone has one out there and if its worth its weight and gold. I priced them out to be around $200. I am sure I'll be buying one anyhow but if anyone has any good comments on how much they use it and such. Thanks

Why do you want one? I mean, listening to whales would be interesting, but does it help you locate fish somehow?

I used to use a hydrophone all the time, but we used it to track salmon that we had implanted with sonic tags.

I saw the same episode and actually emailed the outfitter/guide on the show about where he got his gear, but got no response. So I bought a Honey Tone from Amazon, and then this great deal from a guy in England. Very reasonable $$$ and the sound is great.

http://engravedglass.blogspot.com/20...-for-sale.html

So fill me in...I didn't see that episode. What'd he do with the hydrophone? What happened to that show, anyway? All I've seen is the same half-dozen shows repeated for months and months.....

It's gotta' be more interesting and informative than NPR.

I'd be interested in the outcome. I imagine it would be a great show and tell for my children...and my wife and me.wink

The HoneyTone, made by Aquarian Audio Products was awesome to see used. I couldn't believe the clarity it provided. I think its very interesting to be able to hear what's going on down below. You'd be amazed how much noise we make as fishing dudes above stomping around the boat. Surprised anything bites.

Here's a link to the HoneyTone clip

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1396646171531

Aquarian Audio Products
    http://www.aquarianaudio.com/

Alaska Outdoors Television has moved over to all Alaska CBS stations. No longer on FOX TV. We'll run the first 26 episodes on CBS through fall next year. Jan 2012 13 new episodes will premiere on Outdoor Channel and WildTV for those in Canada through June 2012. A few new 2012 episodes will make it onto the CBS broadcast next summer. A limited # of new shows were produced last year due to a poor advertising economy but we managed to stay on air, not everyone nationally, did. I'll be announcing our new national sponsors soon. Our new local sponsor is Ace Hardware so lets support them, which helps me shoot new episodes :-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

It is amazing how water transmit vibrations like sound MUCH better than air. They aren't anywhere near the hydrophone quality but when I put my cameras underwater, it is amazing how much noise my line makes as I am reeling in, or the sound of something hitting the edge of the ice as I am ice fishing. How loud the 'crunching" sound is when something hits the bottom. Not sure how noise not directly in contact with the speaker through the line or something would sound.

My question would be

1) Do the fish hear the same thing?
    2) They don't seem to spook at the noise but I can't believe the "artificial" noises like metal on ice could be an attractor. More natural sounds like something hitting the bottom might.

Might be fun to try the icefishing thing and see the different reactions. This is interesting.

These videos are my underwater video. The saltwater one isn't very good but definitely is much more interesting from the noise factor. If it's anywhere near as loud as it seems, I wonder how much benefit vs cost (or pain in the back end) would be to try and eliminate bad noise, increase good noise. Egads...like I need to make this fishing thing even MORE complex! lol.

Great footage! I didn't realize how much sound we transmit from above until my first time sending down a camera underwater recording sound. I could hear us talking, stomping around, dropping ***** on the boat deck. Changed the way I fished. I'm surprised we catch anything with that much noise from above heading down.

Default Thanks Tim

Actually I was the fan that e-mailed you about the HoneyTone hydrophone earlier this week. Thanks so much for the video as well and the updated show info!

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    The HoneyTone, made by Aquarian Audio Products was awesome to see used. I couldn't believe the clarity it provided. I think its very interesting to be able to hear what's going on down below. You'd be amazed how much noise we make as fishing dudes above stomping around the boat. Surprised anything bites.

Here's a link to the HoneyTone clip

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1396646171531

Aquarian Audio Products
    http://www.aquarianaudio.com/

Alaska Outdoors Television has moved over to all Alaska CBS stations. No longer on FOX TV. We'll run the first 26 episodes on CBS through fall next year. Jan 2012 13 new episodes will premiere on Outdoor Channel and WildTV for those in Canada through June 2012. A few new 2012 episodes will make it onto the CBS broadcast next summer. A limited # of new shows were produced last year due to a poor advertising economy but we managed to stay on air, not everyone nationally, did. I'll be announcing our new national sponsors soon. Our new local sponsor is Ace Hardware so lets support them, which helps me shoot new episodes :-)
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

That's actually remarkable clear sound. Cool clip. Thanks!

I may have to get one of those. I used to use hydrophones for work, and after hearing us banging around in an aluminum river boat I've always tried to keep the boat as quiet as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    That's actually remarkable clear sound. Cool clip. Thanks!

I may have to get one of those. I used to use hydrophones for work, and after hearing us banging around in an aluminum river boat I've always tried to keep the boat as quiet as possible.
    coho slayer "So fill me in...I didn't see that episode. What'd he do with the hydrophone? What happened to that show, anyway? All I've seen is the same half-dozen shows repeated for months and months....."

coho slayer "Why do you want one? I mean, listening to whales would be interesting, but does it help you locate fish somehow?
    I used to use a hydrophone all the time, but we used it to track salmon that we had implanted with sonic tags."

Hook, Line, and Sinker... couple posts and turned ya from "Why do you want one?" too "I may have to get one of those." They look awesome and I got mine on order. Thanks Delarm!
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Yup....well, initially I thought there might be some fishing-specific application for them that I hadn't thought of, which is why I asked why...lol. After hearing the whales and seeing how cheap they are, relatively speaking, it would be a fun and educational addition.

I agree, we were near Greene Island fishing for halibut and we saw a whale in the distance jumping out of the water and splashing down. About 2-5 seconds after you would here the sound of the impact. I thought that was cool enough but when I saw that episode of them using the HoneyTone I was sold. I ordered the 20' mic w/ the HoneyTone speaker box. I'll hopefully have some vid's for ya when I go crabbing later in the year.
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Course now I want a recorder/hard drive of some sort too...

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    Actually I was the fan that e-mailed you about the HoneyTone hydrophone earlier this week. Thanks so much for the video as well and the updated show info!
    Just had another request for information on this hydrophone. I see since we filmed that show the mics have been upgraded. Anyone out playing with these things?