Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep it pointed in a safe direction!!!!

Default Keep it pointed in a safe direction!!!!

had a guy flip his saftey off his rifle and blew my coat to pieces, luckly i wasn't in it!! just goes to show you never know. keep it pointed safe safe safe!!! my wife didn't laugh when i told here this story!!
    Also a couple pics from the last trip. missed two nice blackies....

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well I hope I am never around that guy with a gun. I dont know if anyone else is having this problem but, your pictures aren't coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    had a guy flip his saftey off his rifle and blew my coat to pieces, luckly i wasn't in it!! just goes to show you never know. keep it pointed safe safe safe!!! my wife didn't laugh when i told here this story!!
    Also a couple pics from the last trip. missed two nice blackies....

Cmon Jake, spill it. Operator error obviously... but was it a Rem 700?

Glad you were not in the coat, btw

Some things you just don't tell the wife. Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Remington 700?

Good thing only a coat, i have an old Sako that has reacted like that at times. One more good reason guides do not allow the client to chamber a round until needed.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Gotta love those that that can't wait to point fingers at the brand of rifle, when the obvious failure was in the moronic decision of the operator. Firearms kill people through operator error; if more people would believe that then we'd have far fewer unintentional shooting incidents.

Glad you are well and safe Jake. I've sometimes wondered if adding some Kevlar to my hunting attire would be a good idea--maybe next season...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    One more good reason guides do not allow the client to chamber a round until needed.
    Generally the way most folks I have been around in Alaska hunt. No round in the chamber until it's time to shoot. Once the round is chambered..............it's soon time to shoot and the safety isn't used.
    Have also experienced safety failure.............with barrel pointed in safe direction.
    Keep it safe!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

My kids have done it on the bench once each. Finger on the trigger, thumb releasing the safety...BANG!!! Ouch!! My son, when he was eight, was having a tough time closing the bolt on my 30-06, so he hooked his pinky inside the trigger guard and used his thumb to lever the bolt shut... BANG!!! Ouch!... All the kids learned valuable safety lessons on those days.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Back in 97 I got shot by a gun that was proven to be defective by experts in a court of law...Just stating this to prove that some guns do have issues. That being said 99.9% of the time it IS the operator...Great photos man just awesome...

One more for not chambering until it is time to shoot. That is inexcusable, I hope that fellow had to change his shorts afterwards.

Nice pics !

Good to hear you are well, Jake !

I have experienced a faulty bone stock Rem700 trigger that would go boom after releasing the safety. I had the same problem even after a well known anchorage gun smith "tuned the trigger." It is scary stuff and makes you loose trust in a firearm real quick. I had the trigger replaced with a Timney and so far so good.

Glad no one was injured!

This is one of the reasons I often teach "keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction" as rule #1 of firearms safety in my hunter ed classes, even though it is often taught that "treat every weapon as if it's loaded" as #1. If it's pointed in a safe direction, nobody gets hurt if you fail to follow the other rules.

kxj66ni

Quote Originally Posted by .338wm View Post
    one more for not chambering until it is time to shoot. That is inexcusable, i hope that fellow had to change his shorts afterwards.

Nice pics !

Good to hear you are well, jake !
    great all are safe;; but safety for the hunter and everyone should be the guidees first preority.
    Kxj66

it was a rem 700, the gun was shot at a bear, then the bear ran off, he set his gun down and was going to unload his gun and flipped the saftey off to unload it when it went off( i guess not realizing you don't need to flip the saftey to work the bolt on a rem)...i got it to do it several times afterwards on an empty chamber.
    lotta quick "jumpin' on the guide" reactions here....everyone one holding a gun also needs to be accountable for what they do with it...no matter what.
    Master guide 212

Not at all Jake... I am glad it wasn't pointed at you. I am curious if he was one of those home gunsmiths that adjusted his own trigger. Also, a coat is a safe direction as long as nobody is wearing it. Will you add a system check to Rem 700's that come into camp now

Those REM 700's are scary, glad you or anyone else didn't get shot. Since I don't own a 700 I don't know, but has remington done anything to try to inform people who have bought them of this problem?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

kxj66ni

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    it was a rem 700, the gun was shot at a bear, then the bear ran off, he set his gun down and was going to unload his gun and flipped the saftey off to unload it when it went off( i guess not realizing you don't need to flip the saftey to work the bolt on a rem)...i got it to do it several times afterwards on an empty chamber.
    lotta quick "jumpin' on the guide" reactions here....everyone one holding a gun also needs to be accountable for what they do with it...no matter what.
    good your safet : everybodie should be accountable but the guide is responsible for for safety. maye time for refreesher course in guide dutys.
    good you and the hunter are safe
    kxj66

kxj66....probably right. what was i thinking....he was unloading his own gun and it was not pointed at me.....are we missin' the point of this thread....?
    Master guide 212

Guides are also responsible for wiping afterwards too. That's in the guiding manual as well.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast