Thread: falconry

Default falconry

Has anyone ever hunted by means of falconry before or at least know where I could find some information on it. Information regaurding its use as a form of hunting in alaska, and maybe some instruction. It seems like a very interesting thing to learn about.

Did it in Germany in the late 70's and early 80's. It will hook you like drugs, there is a two year apprentice program Google falconry in Alaska , check with the injured bird rescue all the info is out there.

i googled falconry in alaska and found adf&g 30 page falconry pulication
    its very informative, thanks for the reply and suggesting the bird rescue

If you volunteer at the bird rescue you can work up to having injured birds that you care for in cages at home.
    This is very rewarding as it gives a good life for a bird that would not survive in wild.

I have not started falconry here again as it requires many hours and you can't just find anybody to care for your birds when you need to leave although if you are in to it you will meet other birders that have the knowledge to care for your birds.

I have been happy to befriend the wild birds that I feed from my hand and care for when injured. We have Chickadees with deformed beaks that would die in the winter if not feed right they can't crack seeds.

I have both Woodpeckers and Owls that nest on my property, the neighbors have taken down their trees and would like me to as well but mine will stay right where they are for my feathered friends.

There is nothing like the feeling of a bird leaving your arm to take down another bird or rabbit and coming back to you. They don't need us we are captured by them.

I have birds in the house and geese and ducks in the yard , I guess I do have birds just not a big powerful one.

Be careful you could get caught up in birds.

500 lb seeds
    30 peanut butter
    a way to keep water from freezing and fresh all winter.

Did you know that you can hypnotize a chicken?

You can get lost in birds.

Ok I'll bite, just what would you hypnotize a chicken for?

Default hyptonising

That is pretty funny.... Chickens.

I have seen guys with a falcon down on Potter's Marsh a couple times this winter. I even saw it chasing a ptarmigan there. They have a van and park in the middle by the hwy. You will hear them whistling to it.

catch the chicken turn it on to its back hold it legs to its body, grab the head with your thumb and middle finger on the side of its head put your pointer finger on its throat and draw a line off its beak it will lay there.

I use to do this to them before I cut off the head I don't know why it works.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    catch the chicken turn it on to its back hold it legs to its body, grab the head with your thumb and middle finger on the side of its head put your pointer finger on its throat and draw a line off its beak it will lay there.

I use to do this to them before I cut off the head I don't know why it works.
    I don't know why but I really want to try it. Wonder if I can find some free range chickens here in Kuwait.

Hello Grandads338,

I was very involved in falconry for about ten years and I could give you some useful information. Send me a pm and I will see if I can help. There is a lot more to it than you could ever get from the Internet.

Scott f