Thread: Game bird research request for ADF&G

Default Game bird research request for ADF&G

Here is information I copied from a poster / pdf from ADF&G Small Game Program. Good stuff we can do!
    Tell your friends! Contact Rick Merizon if you have any questions.

Are you interested in assisting Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) biologists collect valuable age and sex data from this years grouse and ptarmigan harvest?
    YOU CAN HELP!
    Remove the following from each bird:
    1. ONE, whole, clean, intact wing,
    1. FIVE – SIX tail feathers from the center of the tail (including rump feathers).
    Enclose each wing / tail feathers in an envelope with date of harvest and approximate location.

Either drop off at your nearest ADF&G office or mail directly to:
    ADF&G ATTN: Rick Merizon Call:
    1800 Glenn Hwy, Ste. 2 OR 907.746.6333
    Palmer, AK. 99645
    Enclose your contact information if you’re interested in getting a copy of the final report

Your assistance is greatly appreciated and will benefit the research and management of southcentral Alaska’s wonderful wingshooting resource.

Thanks Woodsman. These wing/tail samples are used by many other States to estimate what the age and sex ratios are like. They offer a glimpse into the current years crop of birds, plus the trends over time can tell a strong story about various aspects of the population. Hopefully folks are active with this program and Mr. Merizon hosts a "wing bee" for folks to learn about aging and sexing these samples. Free labor too!

Where did you find this .pdf? I did a quick search and can't find a page dedicated to the Small Game Program and their outreach materials.

Stay tuned for my own Citizen Science post. I spent some time on the phone today with Mr. Merizon and we will both be distributing information for us hunter/harvesters to participate in a nationwide White-tailed Ptarmigan study.
    Go Big Red!

Cool... thanks for posting Woodsman. I used to do this with all my ducks back when I hunted waterfowl a lot more often. I've been fortunate enough to get into a few grouse this year, and always keep wings and tails for fly-tying. I imagine I could part with some in the name of science!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I've been doing this for Rick for a while now and, although, the flier doesn't ask for anything else, I agreed to weigh birds and note the general area where they were taken. If you have a good and proper scale this is good stuff to know. In past years we also sent in the gizzards for another research program, but that was a real pain. In the interior we also put up wing drop boxes near heavily used areas. If you have a scout group perhaps this is something they could do for ADF& G?

Jim

Any wings that come home with me are usually used for trapping but this season I have little freezer space so I will send any homeless wings I have to F&G. Great idea about the drop boxes. I sometimes clean birds in the sticks and would be more than happy to use a drop box rather than leave more bait around for predators in my coverts.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I talked with Rick today and mentioned the flyer info I copied had "south central" on it.
    He made each flyer for the area in which it would be posted. The study IS statewide. The white-winged ptarmigan study would be another great off-shoot of the "Program".

Weights and location would be good. Jim, can you suggest the kind of scale appropriate? Are you weighing your birds in grams before you gut them? Where would you suggest getting a scale and is there a brand/model we should look for? Similarity will help maintain data that is comparable to itself and other data gathered....

Pulling the crop out (a skin sack the size of a golf ball in the neck area just above the chest where the bird stores food it has just eatten) and saving it in a sandwich bag with the date & location info (and freezing it) might help biologists determine what the game bird is feeding on in specific areas at certain times of the year. This info among other things could help biologists determine food sources for habitat improvement/habitat identification purposes.
    Maybe..

Southcentral RGS has been doing a crop study for several years. Those crops are still of value for further evaluation.

AlaskanWoodsman,

Many years ago I bought my scale from a geology supply company. It's what folks were using and it has a nifty clip for quickly grasping a bird by the foot. I've always weighed birds as they were on the wing. Grains are what I provide, and any good quality scale should do this. I suppose a digital reloading scale would be best, but mine is on my reloading bench where it will stay. I have always examined crops, but quite frankly I always see the same food items. I now only make note of any anomalies.

Jim

Thank you! Sounds good! I'll do the same with a small digital scale & grains.

Alaskan Woodsman,

What I dummy I am sometimes. I meant to say GRAMS, not grains. Sorry.

Jim

Jim must be moonlighting on the Bowhunting forum...

Going hunting this weekend -- will keep this in mind-- hope I can add to Rick's collection of data and my freezer.

At the Alaska Fire Science Consortium last week, someone presented a paper on predicting alder die-off after a fire by measuring char height on the "trunk" of the "tree." (I use quotes for effect, as most alders don't quite measure up to tree status in my book, but being one from the oak woods, I digress). Anyway, in his presentation, he mentioned that his work was part of a larger study that was looking into grouse habitat. He mentioned an ideal number of alder sprouts per acre - perhaps something like 12-15,000 - and noted that when fires kill off the tops of alder bushes, often the more productive sprouts will come back and grouse will have more to eat. I'm going to try to track down the paper that he presented and put a copy on here.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.