Thread: Kodiak Road system hunt

Default Kodiak Road system hunt

I got the idea of ferrying my truck over to Kodiak to do a road system deer hunt from a member of the site. I have never been there and was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone familiar with the area. I donít need specifics just a general ideaÖBasically, could a newbie go over there and have a successful hunt? The reason Iím thinking of doing this hunt is because I canít swing the more expensive fly-in hunts. Thanks!

first off most of the road system is private land so you'll need to head out toward pasagshak bay area or get a land use permit from lesoni(spelling). depending on when you go there are weapon restrictions, the deer will be at the tops of the mtns in mid oct..glass high, hike higher. not sure how the deer numbers are on the road. bring a fox call and do some pred hunting too. silvers should be in the rivers as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would be interested in seeing how this hunt turns out as I might try later on as well.

BRWNBR is right (to a point.) Lesnoi owns most of the road system, right next to the road... You can get get a land use permit for about a buck and a quarter. There is other land too. Coast Guard and Borough land. I prefer not hunt the Lesnoi land. The deer are up high in dern near goat country. There are access points on lesnoi land to the mountains that don't require a land us permit. You are going to need to be able to hike, have a land use map, and maybe bring a shotty. You will be in some good ptarm country. As far as bucks, the last time I took a hike I saw a dozen does, lost my gps, and shot a fox. Weather is nice right now. There is no snow on the mountains, but we did get our first frost the other day. They are out there, you just have to put in a good days hike to get where most people don't want to go for deer..

Another piece of advice: start as high as you can. Six foot grass, weeds, and salmonberry bushes suck. Same goes for the rotten pushki.

I have done it and had a tough time getting to the deer. They were HIGH up there and we basically pushed them away. October is a tough time to do the road system due to lack of snow and there is no ferry to Kodiak in November. (You may want to verify the November ferry schedule yourself, in case I am incorrect). November is no guarantee of low snow levels either. If I was to do it again in October, I would plan to go high and stay there until I shot one (spike out) then drag it down away from the bears! Other members on this forum are probably more familiar with the private lands around the road system than I am. We hunted the south side of Pasagshak Rd. about 3 miles from the "T". Walking in about a half mile on a mostly dry river bed, then climbing up from there. If "Lesoni" is the guy with all the Bison, we spoke to him in passing a few times and he never said we were trespassing.

It was nice to have a vehicle there! We drove back and forth from Kodiak to Pasagshak every day we were there and had a warm bed to sleep in every night at the motel!

My buddy did manage to get one buck on that trip and we also caught some fish! Had a great time and learned a lot about hunting the road system there.

Lesnoi is the native corporation that owns most of the road system
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

Road system is closed in november.
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

Another idea is to do the registration bear hunt from the road system,it opens the 25th of october.Just have to make sure about the private land,but there is places to hunt with out paying.I heard of a 10' bear took near Buskin lake opening day.We hunted it last year after a fly out deer hunt for a couple of days.The only bear we seen was a sow and the only reason my partner took her is because she was limping in he front from someones bad shot early in the year.Even if you don't harvest anything you will see some neat country and catch some fish.Good luck to ya.

7'8" squared

Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences. The information is giving me a starting point. Iím still learning but hopefully, Iíll have some hunting experiences of my own to share on the forum

Andrew....pm sent