Thread: Can Am idle/acceleration problem

Default Can Am idle/acceleration problem

I have a 2007 Can Am 500 XT Max that's never given me an ounce of trouble until last weekend. I started right up as usual, but shortly after began to run rough, and failed to maintain an idle. It restarted but the same thing happened. As long as I applied just a little throttle it seemed to be fine, but when I took for a short shake-down ride, it started coughing and missing, losing power than coming back to life. Everytime it happened, it restarted without a problem, but would never idle or accelerate normally. Just when I thought there was water or dirt in the fuel system, it started idling very fast and the check engine light came on. Seems like it must be something electronic, any suggestions on simple things to check before I load it up and haul it back to town to the repair shop? For the record, it's stored in a heated garage, and I keep it full of fuel, so I don't think water or condensation is the problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Sounds like a probable wet connection. Start with all the electronics. Pull the plug wires, any fuel injection connections clean em up and fill the contacts with electrical gel.

I like to do that every year on almost every single electrical connection from axle to axle minus what's under the hood since I don't plan to submarine the Ranger in 4feet of water.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I would check and clean the air filter, replace the fuel filter and drain the gas tank to remove any water or dirt and there a drain on the carburetor that should be open to drain it of water and dirt. This something we all should do prevent ant problems. Let us know what you found.

Sledneck, I have an 07 650, and just started experiencing a few similiar issues such that you had. I have about 1100 miles on mine, and haven't experienced any problems up to this point. Mine would run fine right after start up, and for the first part of my ride. Then it would progressively get worse, cutting out, missing, and eventually backfiring really bad. Got to the point I couldn't drive it, and had to be towed the rest of the way home. Been so busy, haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but now that things have settled, gonna try and figure what the problem is, hoping its nothing too expensive, wishful thinking I know.

Anybody with ideas for me and Sledneck...been a great machine up till now, guess it was about time.

Well a check engine light on would tell me that you have an injected vehicle so I would asume it is coming on due to the missfiring. So does this vehicle require a valve adjust? And sounds like more than just water in the fuel... Injected vehicle would more likely not run or start and die then not start if water was the problem.. Carberators would allow some moisture/water to pass through but injectors are way more sensitive.

good luck and let us know what you found to fix it...

It didn't appear to be anything simple, so I ended up taking it in to see if it had thrown a code. Turned out to be a faulty temp sensor, had that replaced, handed over a few hundred dollars and now it runs great again!

J in AK, our machines are the same year, the symtoms and the mileage is similar (mine was just under 1,000) you might want to check the same thing.