Thread: Which scope for my 460

Default Which scope for my 460

OK guys Im not a gun nut but am thinking of putting a scope on my 460. 8 1/2" barrel. Would like to try for a moose with it next year. I would like some sort of rings that I can take the scope off if Id like and then snap/pivot it back on and have it be ready to go. SOOOO which scope in the 2-6 power range and rings would you reccomend. Thanks

I recently bought a Nikon Encore 2X and Warne Quick Release rings and base for my 460V. The base is specifically made to take the recoil from the X-Frame pistols and it allows you to keep your iron sights.

Can't give you a field report yet since I won't have it mounted until next week.

For my 460s Iíve got this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=656270
    With this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=463702
    And this:
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/handgun-scopes/fx-ii-2x20mm-handgun/
    All works good as a scope but I find it way too fiddly to take off and then the sights on the base are awful and too close together to be practical. Iíd like something thatís easy to flips or clips out of the way of my factory sights but Iíve not found anything. For me, when itís scoped in the field itís scoped and when not itís not. As if they were not quick detach rings so I ended up with 2 460Vs, one scoped all the time and one not.

Oh and 2X is all the magnification you want, or at least all I want. I had a 4X at first and thatís way too small a field of view, makes a big blind spot around the scope that is very noticeable with the scope out there on a handgun. So tried a variable and finely settled on just the fixed 2X and like it best by far for field use, the others would be fine for targets but make me way to slow to acquire a target in the woods.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by normK View Post
    I recently bought a Nikon Encore 2X and Warne Quick Release rings and base for my 460V. The base is specifically made to take the recoil from the X-Frame pistols and it allows you to keep your iron sights.

Can't give you a field report yet since I won't have it mounted until next week.
    Normk Please keep me posted this sounds like what I would want. Thanks...Price range?

How long of a shot do you anticipate? Have you thought about a red dot? I have an Ultradot 30 on my .500 Linebaugh and I took a cow moose with it in Maine last month and the first shot was a bit past 100 yards.

Whitworth 100 -150 would be awesome but as you know 200 would be the bomb...am I just wishing here?

How good you are and what kind of rest you have, not the guns capability, will determine what your maximum range will be and how much scope you can use. Usually for unsupported field use, 2 to 2 1/2 power is about all most people can deal with. That would limit most people to about 100/125 yds. If you are shooting from a blind or off an anchored back pack and can shoot well, 175 to 200yds should be possible. The main thing here is, can you hit a 9" paper plate every time from field conditions at your intended range? I'm with ADfields on the scope thing. Either it's scoped or it's not. Trying for both introduces things I don't trust.

The gun can do it, 100 isnít that hard a shot on a standing still broadside moose size target. Start adding variables, distance, movement, up/down hill, quartering too/away and it gets hard fast though. The gun is solid to 300+ if you are and have the skill and all the variables worked out in your favor. The easiest variable to fix is usually range, by stalking in though. Iíve put enough lead on paper out to 300 that Iíd give it a go if the situation dictated it that way and I couldnĎt stalk in.

Now a lesson my Dad thought me the hard way was that just because you can kill it at ďXĒ yards donít mean you should. He imparted this lesson by pointing out a very nice Mule Dear across a canyon from us. When I said I can take that shot ALL he said was ďWell son, I wouldnít.Ē then let me have at it. You know, as it turns out I learned itís a heck of a lot harder to recover game through a canyon than it is to shoot over it!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Whitworth 100 -150 would be awesome but as you know 200 would be the bomb...am I just wishing here?
    It's definitely doable with a good rest. I would rather get closer, but that's me. I would have preferred a closer shot on my Maine moose, but I was rapidly running out of shooting light and had to take the shot there and then. As others mentioned, the revolver is up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Normk Please keep me posted this sounds like what I would want. Thanks...Price range?
    Scope was $198 from Mt. View Sports (free mount and boresight) , base and rings were $207 from opticsplanet.com

I set my 7 1/2 inch 460 up for Whitetails and black bears from a stand. I used a 3 - 12 power varible by Burris. So far the average shot taken at game with it is less than 20 feet. I have a custom 460 S & W rifle that the average shot is right at 100 yards. All should have been 1 shot DRT's. But, the closest shot with the handgun, the animal was still on its feet- so I shot again. Didn't need to, but my policy is if still on their feet- I keep shooting. Have never taken more than one shot with the rifle- seems they fall quicker from the longer barrel (18 inches). I load the Barnes 250 gr as I want one load for all of my 460's. (I own more than 2) From a rest the 7 1/2 inch will hit a 9" paper plate out to 350 meters... But I probably will never shoot at uninjured game at more than 150...

Scope wise- I have the scope permanently mounted on my "hunting" revolver, and good open sights on my 5" carry revolver. The rifle has both, however I have only used the scope on game.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I have a custom 460 S & W rifle that the average shot is right at 100 yards....

Chris
    Can you tell us a little about this rifle? I sure would like to get a rifle in 460 S&W that isn't a single shot.

Started with a Model 30 lever action, added a new barrel, new feed tube, follower, opened up the feed gate to handle the straight wall case. (Caution- this is for NON-POINTY bullets only). An easier way, (however heavier) would be to get a Marlin Model 444 and simiply change out the barrel. I have seen one bolt action, but didn't really like the weight ratio or 22" barrel.

100_0185.jpg

This is a photo of my Father and I on his last hunting trip (RIP). This was a management spike taken to prove that the 460 S & W could handle whitetail deer. It did very well.

Chris