Thread: Wulik Water Quality effects on Dollies

Default Wulik Water Quality effects on Dollies

I am in the planning stages of a fishing trip to the Wulik River for Dolly Varden and Grayling. While on the Kivalina Village website, I noticed an outcry related to the discharge of the Red Dog mine into Aqalugruaq Creek which later empties into the Wulik. While I realize this is a very emotional issue for the villagers, does anyone have any information or resources related to the effect on the fish populations or in the Wulik. Has anyone who fishes there regularly noticed a difference? Does The fishing above the confluence differ from the fishing below it? Thanks in advance for any information.

-Joe

apparently it is also labeled as Ikalukrok Creek on most of the maps I have found

Visited the area a couple years ago w/ a university group and we were interested in the geology and geochemistry at and near the mine site. Water quality data was better at that time than natural background levels. Certainly the are a number of hazards posed by the impoundment of so much 'dirty' water, but when they have to place a weir across the creek to keep grayling out, you can be assured the water is not that bad. Currently- not hurting a thing. Could it? Bet your pants it could! One needs to keep in mind how Red Dog mine was first discovered. It was a big dead zone of land, stained orange from the sulfides leeching out into the creeks and keeping most vegetation at bay. Now, most of the leechate is contained, sequestered for the time being and if properly handled will not become a problem in the future.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/mining/lar.../publicnotice/

You could spend your fall reading all about it through/ the DNR website, there are legitimate grievances although I'm not sure this is one, yet.
    Wish I could have fished it as there are some monsterous Char in there 30+ inchers. Wow!

Kivalina is a angry village and the Wulik is much cleaner now than it ever was befor the mine. Its not an issue, go fishing and catch some 23 pounders!

Walt

I believe the record comes from here, you should have 0 problems finding healthy fish. I travel here quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    I believe the record comes from here, you should have 0 problems finding healthy fish. I travel here quite often.
    The record most certainly is from there, as well as the previous record prior to this one.
    fishing-main2.jpg