Thread: Alweld semiv 2060 motor q's

Default Alweld semiv 2060 motor q's

Got a few questions. Planning on building me a river boat. Kinda at a crossroad with the 2060/2070. I want the lightest smallest boat,i can haul moose and gear,fuel, and still be able to run shallow, and hall butt, with fuel economy in mind...thinking of a 140 suzuki prop, then pullung over on beach and,putting jet on when needed. Boat will be tunnelled. Is theextra ten inches in width reallyneeded on the 2070? Also, will I need a power lift to remove lower unit to replace with jet(when im on a beach), or can I swap to jet without it? Want boat to be as light as possible. Thanx in advance. Any advice appreciated.

The 140 is a good motor and will work well for you. I have the Johnson/ Suzuki version on my 20 foot boat with a 60" bottom. I also use a lift to swap back and forth between prop and jet.
    Get the 70" bottom, the setback on the lift will make the back of the boat set some 3-4 inches lower and more than double the time to get on step with the jet. The wider bottom will get on step quicker, will drift better as it will draw less water, will run shallower, and haul more weight. You might lose a few miles an hour on the top but the Alwelds are a fairly light hull and it should perform well with the 140.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Got a few questions. Planning on building me a river boat. Kinda at a crossroad with the 2060/2070. I want the lightest smallest boat,i can haul moose and gear,fuel, and still be able to run shallow, and hall butt, with fuel economy in mind...thinking of a 140 suzuki prop, then pullung over on beach and,putting jet on when needed. Boat will be tunnelled. Is theextra ten inches in width reallyneeded on the 2070? Also, will I need a power lift to remove lower unit to replace with jet(when im on a beach), or can I swap to jet without it? Want boat to be as light as possible. Thanx in advance. Any advice appreciated.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Is it even possible to swap to jet on the bank w/o a lift? Who makes the best lift? And how much am I looking at?thanx

I really want an Alumaweld Free Drifter w/ an E-TEC 115 jet. There is no way I want a tunnel hull they draw way to much water because you lose so much floatation w/ the tunnel. One other thing I would get rid of is the foam the put between the hull and deck, it makes it a nightmare to do any welding repair and also stinks from fish slime and moose blood.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Yes its possible..........with a forklift...LOL
    The 140 is 400 some pounds and would be a bear to make the swap on the bank.....
    I have a power trans lift, it has over 7" of travel which is handy to fine tune prop or jet. The power trans uses a jack screw so they do not creep down and the one I have has worked flawlessly. They are quite heavy at 55 pounds and are about grand, last time I checked.

http://www.powrtran.com/cgi-bin/cart...?parts_id=9662

Some disadvantages are the weight of the lift and the setback act like a big lever on the transom, so thats where the wider bottom really helps keep the boat from seting so low in the water at rest.......or you could add some pods, but cheaper to buy a wider hull to start with.

Is it even possible to swap to jet on the bank w/o a lift? Who makes the best lift? And how much am I looking at?thanx
    TR

Dang gramps all great info. Hopefully.buying hull soon then will have all winter to take my time and make it, with weight in mind, when I build. I want this thing to be wicked. Nice plywood(indian cab), 75 gal tank, on and on

Gramps-how fast can you cruise with a medium sized load?with the jet on. Say 1000 pounds or so..

32-34 MPH at WOT, burning 9-10 GPH, running 5200 -5400 RPM. My boat is pretty heavy with a 80 gallon fuel capacity, so 2 guys, fuel and some gear adds up to over 1000 pounds pretty darn quick. I added up all the basic safety gear, tools, spares and winch, life jackets, paddles, shovel and that stuff added up to a couple of hundred pounds, for the most part that gear stays in the boat.

Typical cruise at what I think is most economical is in the mid twenties at 4400 -4800 burning 5.5-7.5 GPH.
    All these numbers are reasonably accurate as conditions can vary a lot, if you are looking for a hot rod I would get a IB whether it be a Sport Jet or a V-8 of some sort, thats a whole diffrent boat than a 20 foot Alweld. The Sport jets perform very well and similar weight to a OB powered boat.

From what I have seen if you can hit 40 with a OB jet you are doing real well, maybe others can chime in as I have limited experinece & knowledge other than my own jet boat experience.

IMO, the only reason to run a OB in a larger boat with a windshield is if you plan to use the prop for long trips, the savings is there but I am not quite convinced (yet) that its a 30% advantage running a prop over a jet foot. The biggest disadvantage to big IB's is intial buy in and weight, but there are some deals on the used market, especially in the lower 48............

The Alweld is a good hull and relatively light, it will perform well for you, are you thinking the wide bottom?

I have attached a couple of photos of some linkage I fabed to facilitate the swap between the jet and prop. Other wise you have to split the cowling and fool around with the cables, some guys run w/o reverse but personally I find it necessary, especially when drifiting and dipping in the Copper river.

DSCF1282.jpgDSCF1290.jpg

Are you throughly confused yet...................? lots of pros & cons either way, and its really tough do decide because a boat can be used in such a huge variety of conditions here..........

Gramps-how fast can you cruise with a medium sized load?with the jet on. Say 1000 pounds or so..
    TR

My boat is mainly gonna be a long hauler, so due to the fuel consumption of the inboard, thats prolly outta the question. I will mainlyhave the prop on, but there will be times I pull over and take advantage of the jet. Yes, im dam near 100% set on the 70" beam. I like ur setup in the pics.. I think a lift would be worth the money/weight. The longer I can keep the prop turning obviously the better..boat shop told me just the hull on the 2060 is 600lbs. So the 70 cant be much heavier. Thats pretty dang light. Should be a impressive prop boat, and a decent, maybe a lil underpowerd under a load, jet boat.my main two tjings are speed and fuel economy...which those two words dont really go well together, so im trying to meet somewhere in the middle....

600 pounds with a windshield? or are you goint to tough it? Is that a 70" beam or 70 " bottom width?
    I doubt you will be lacking for power, I can step ~ 2500 pounds with the jet, (after I added the pods), with a 70" bottom that boat will haul a impressive load. I have never tested with the prop but suspect it would carry close to 3000 pounds.

My boat just motor, hull, fuel tanks (MT) is close to 1800 pounds, The Alweld when setup should be some 400-500 pounds lighter......just guessing.......?

The 140 is a great motor, thrifty and quiet, quiet enough you can converse in normal tones at a cruise speed, I like that ALOT, at WOT the noise increses some but not awful and usally at WOT, not much time for yakking........!
    TR

No thats just the hull. Im gonna make my own cabin, nothing special.its a 70" bottom.stepping 2500, wow. Ya im stoked for.next summer/fall