Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer call

Default deer call

having trouble finding a sitka blacktail deer call, anyone know where i can buy one.

Sportsmans has deer calls... You just need a buck grunt and maybe a doe blee (or whatever they call them). It doesnt have to be specifically for a blacktail.

Just make your own...dosen't take more than 10 minutes. I just take a couple small wood blocks, hollow out a small channel with a knife or file; use a rubber band or piece of flagging tape for a reed, pull it tight and sandwich it down between the blocks with string or tape. I prefer the flagging tape, cut about 1 cm wide.
    Nice Marmot.

"Doe in a Can" bleet call works good.

I go the same route as Skookumchuck. Dirt easy to make your own doe bleat. I get the best results if the reed is slightly loose so it sputters a little while bleating, especially with a hard puff.

Just be aware that they're about they're as good or better for calling brown bears. Be selective when and where you use them, and watch your backside.

I bought mine from a native guy. I'm going to be using my calls very sparingly this rut. I've had no problems calling in medium aged bucks, but have yet to have anything BIG come in. I have a feeling I've been doing a good job of announcing my presence to the big, mature bucks with my imperfect calling.

I buy yellow cedar version of the Hank Master's call here locally. Best $35 bucks you'll spend for hunting Blacktails. Sure, you CAN make a handmade one. These calls are like trumpets and you can bring 'em in from a long way. I always start LOUD on the call and then sucessively tone it down. If they are going to come to the call, it's usually by the 3rd "session".

270 - eventually there will be a Masher following that doe in. Just have confidence - and I know that you have the fortiude to pass on a dink (i.e. a buck that I'd probably shoot)

I've always made my own, similar to skookumchuck's method. A rubber band between two pieces of wood, held together with black electrical tape. I started helping my dad when I was really young. Seems the older they get the better they work. Get the rubberband kinda broken in.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

As someone mentioned before, keep an eye out for bears. Deer calls are effective on both deer and bears.

They are very easy to make and I have seen some strange looking calls work really well. I like to use friction tape for the reed on my calls, holds up better then others. For the wood I prefer to use cedar or bamboo if available.

What time of year does calling work best for you guys? I am going out over Thanksgiving, will the rut be full on in the end of November?
    Thanks

I'll be testing this one out in a few weeks.

+1 for friction tape.
    Alpine is awesome...

I'm also in the call sparingly crew. The natural rut tendencies of deer lead to exposure. Just find the rut zones and watch for the magic to happen. I've use a doe alarm call to get a buck to stop or lift his head.

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post

I'll be testing this one out in a few weeks.

+1 for friction tape.
    Beau, what in the world is that........looks like a tinker toy reject?

Default Beau, what in the world is that........looks like a tinker toy reject?

Made by Alex P in K-town. Bleat on one side grunt on the other. Don't get run over by the ruttin buck, Halloween to mid November.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Alex's grunt call didn't work to well for me ... but his bleet calls kill big Bucks ...

I have a good feeling about this coming 'rut' ...

Alex Panalago carves his calls out of yellow cedar. e-mail addy is judie-alex@comcast.net

He's a good old guy and loves talking about deer hunting.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Alex's grunt call didn't work to well for me ... but his bleet calls kill big Bucks ...

I have a good feeling about this coming 'rut' ...
    I really like his "normal" call I got from him.

I've called in a half dozen blacktails [buck & doe] with Circe's Jackrabbit call. http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/...egoryId=123670
    As others' have stated ~ bears do come too...

Simple yet effective, yep calls in the big ones. Need to use heavy flagging to get the right sound. Friction tape works too. Hollow out the front smaller then the back. Couple minutes to make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast