Thread: Got charged by a brown bear

Default Got charged by a brown bear

I have to say that God was with Nitro (my chocolate lab) and me today. It was a beautiful day so after work we went on a quick hike/hunt to just enjoy the nice weather. We had hunted about 1hr and half when we started working our way back to truck. Nitro seemed a little birdy so I had my little 20 gauge ready. As Nitro went past a Willow patch a brown bear charged him. I yelled at the top of my lungs and the bear stopped looked at me, pinned his ears and charged me at a full run from about 50 yards out. I put the bead on his head and just hoped it was a bluff charge. There was nothing but one small two foot high bush between us about 30 yards out. I decided if he made it to that bush I was going to start shooting. I didn't have much faith that 4, 7/8oz loads of 7.5 would stop him but I didn't have much choice. When he made to the bush my trigger finger was about to shoot but luckily he veered out into the brush on the right.

I kept yelling for Nitro and just backed away 300 yards or so back up the hill. Thankfully Nitro was fine and just ran up to me and then kept hunting like nothing happened.

I usually carry slugs in my vest for that very reason but it happened so fast I didn't have time to load them. Even if I would have carried my pistol I don't think I would have had time to draw it. I helped carry a man who had been mauled to a helicopter about a week and I was within a few seconds of being in the same situation.

Once I got a safe distance away I checked out the scene with my binos and it was apparent that the bear had a kill buried there and we walked right up on it. My wife hates it when I hunt alone but it was only suppose to be a couple hour hunt.

So be safe out there!!! No birds on this trip but plenty of action.

Wow!!!!! Thanks for posting...I am really glad it turned out the way it did. How long did it take to get over the shakes?

Wow,close call there!Glad to here you and your partner made it out ok.Well is it open for browns there?Sounds like a good chance to go back and show him your not bluffing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    My wife hates it when I hunt alone but it was only suppose to be a couple hour hunt.
    Didn't tell her, did ya?!

Heart STILL pounding?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Wow,close call there!Glad to here you and your partner made it out ok.Well is it open for browns there?Sounds like a good chance to go back and show him your not bluffing!!!
    I wish, if it was open for browns there, I would have been there this morning at daylight with my 338.

Where did this happen? Wow, that is way to close, how did your dog react while the charge was happening? I know you were concentrating on the bear, just curious how your dog reacted. Glad you're ok...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Sounds like that bb could use a little sensitivity training.

Glad you and the dog did ok, i've always wondered how mine would react, hope I don't have to find out.

I carry my 12ga. until the snow gets deeper and I carry it with one round of bird shot chambered and a few brenneke's following for that very situation. Like you said I may never get that second shot off even but I figure that gives me a fair chance... Just a thought FWIW!