Thread: Mystery Ranch Crew Cab

Default Mystery Ranch Crew Cab

I have a MR NICE 6500. I was looking at getting a Crew Cab pack. Wanted some input from any of you with the CC.

In this link for the MR CC, under the pic "Crewcab with load space from top". Those side pockets, those are part of the CC pack that you get?

How do you sling your rifle. On my 6500 I use a water bottle pocket for the stock. Did you purchase the accessory water bottle pockets?

Thanks!

Used the MR CC on my recent goat hunt. LOVED it. Wish I had a pic of it collapsed with the sides tucked in and it buckled up. But I do have a pic of it with over half the goat in it. There are side pockets that fold out and they are quite roomy. They come with it. I bought the "day pack lid" for it, and it helps when you have a "high stack" of stuff in it, to secure it all down. On the way out I had a deer in the pack and put my sleeping bag on top, and secured it all with the day pack lid.

Here it is with the goat in it.

As for carrying my gun, I went and purchased teh Kifaru Gun sling and attached it. VERY slick and a nice way to hike/travel with a gun.

REALLY, really impressed with how it performed in the field and how much it could carry!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I have had a crew cab for about 3 years now and it has served me very well. It took a little getting used to but there are some youtube video's that help explain some of the diffent configurations and can help expidite your understanding of the pack. I use one large dry bag for the majority of my gear then drop it once we make camp. I think the CC really shines as a daypack/framepack durring the rest of the hunt. I just strap my rifle on the back and hope that I don't need to perform any snapshots...this is usually in alpine or tundra. If I am in thicker cover I will simpley sling my rifle over my shoulder or carry it. If you have used the NICE frame you know how well it hauls a load, so I do not need to sell you on that. Overall I am happy with the CC.

Here is it on it's back, but unfortunately the day pack lid was unhooked at the time.

the kifaru gun bearer i have had with clients, they hit their teeth with the barrel sometimes doing up steep stuff..anyone else have to watch for that when the bumpin' around the mtns gets severe? kept gettin' in their way when they were glassin too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    the kifaru gun bearer i have had with clients, they hit their teeth with the barrel sometimes doing up steep stuff..anyone else have to watch for that when the bumpin' around the mtns gets severe? kept gettin' in their way when they were glassin too.
    When the going gets that steep i strap the rifle to the pack.The gunbearer works great for me when i'm making my way up to the alpine.

thanks for the info and pics.

that's funny that you mentioned it as a guide. I was reading another forum where two guys had said their guides didn't like the gun bearers because they really slowed them down every time they had to take their pack off etc.

ya i don't like it and would never use it. i spend some time standing around watching guys load their guns up...
    i have a hook on the side of my frame, sling gets tossed over it and off i go, comes out faster, carrys fine, i can tie my boots without my gun falling off and the weight stays on the frame, don't get in my way and theres no buckles or goofy stuff.
    if i don't want to have it handy i just strap it to the back of my pack with 3 buckles and off i go....kifaru is good at marketing i think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

the crew cab is by far the best pack i have ever owned, so far this year it has packed out one caribou, one brown bear hide and skull, and one mountain goat. the goat hike was by far the burliest hike i have ever undertaken, 3000 feet of vertical from crossing a river, busting through swamps, bushwacking the alders, ascending a mountain (moss in the trees was about a foot thick) traversing alpine, dropping onto a galcier, climbing an 800 foot high talus slope........and then all back out with 95 pounds of hiking gear and goat. the crew cab performed better than i could have ever hoped. it controlled the load at all angles and absorbed all my gear with the daypack lid. i use three granite gear rectangular dry bags to pack my sleeping bag, pad, food, extra socks/clothes, in and then use the side compression buckles to strap the rifle on. keeps the rifle secure and splits the difference between too high and too low (easy to avoid branches and such). as far as being able to get it out fast enough, i was able to remove the pack unbuckle the rifle and shoot a charging grizz before she got me. i also carry a .44 mag in a holster attached to the hip belt. definitly a great bag that is highly versatile. by the way the side pockets are attached to the bag.
    pic is goat, guns, and gear all loaded in the MR CC

I had some issues with the rifle when glassing, but not anything major. As for attaching or taking off, whomever had issues with it being timely went to a special Education school, because it is SUPER quick to take off, and really not that time consuming to put on. Not as quick as a hook, but for the secureness of it when hiking (REALLY like how it tucks right in front, you don't even notice it), it is well worth it. And for quick release/shot, it is already in the ready positiong, and I can guarantee I can get it out and into shooting position faster than the hook on the frame (there is a Youtube video of it, which demonstrates it).

I did have issues with the gun bearer when going through the heavy alpine and the branches and brush grabbing the gun. When the stuff is that thick you can't avoid it happening, but the gun bearer required some extra support at where it attaches to my shoulder strap (a wrap of duct tape did the trick).