Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SkimLinks / SkimWords Launch

Default SkimLinks / SkimWords Launch

Hi folks,

You have probably seen the notice pertaining to our launch of SkimLinks and SkimWords. Let's consolidate the input on that into this thread, so we can avoid having to poke around everywhere for your ideas and suggestions. Please try to keep the rants out of it. Nothing wrong with saying you don't like it, and we do want to know that. But I don't want a thread that goes to seed on everything that's wrong with the universe. Let's keep it concise and constructive, so we can improve your experience on the site.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Smaller notice?

Would it be possible to shrink the font of the notice? It could still be obvious without taking up a page and a half at the top of every page you see. It would be nice to be able to see at least the first couple of threads on a page without having to scroll down to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Would it be possible to shrink the font of the notice? It could still be obvious without taking up a page and a half at the top of every page you see. It would be nice to be able to see at least the first couple of threads on a page without having to scroll down to get to them.
    Skier,

We wanted everyone to notice the message, so it is highlighted. The message is set to disappear after you "X" out of it. Just click the X in the upper right corner of it and you'll never see it again. Go ahead and do that, then post back in here to let us know if it is gone. It should work.

Let me or Brian M know if you continue to have issues with it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Wow, that did work!! Thanks for the tip Mike! Boy was that thing big

Default Thoughts on skimlinks

Just curious what folks think about the new changes?

okay, I must have just been blind. I am usually good about seeing those kind of things, but never even thought to look. Thanks for the response. It's gone now.

Question Skim feedback, and Viglinks

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Would it be possible to shrink the font of the notice? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The message is set to disappear after you "X" out of it. Just click the X in the upper right corner of it and you'll never see it again.
    Mike S.

I came to this forum just a second ago to post exactly what anchskier posted, and scrolling a bit I see you spot on answer. I did so, and it worked great just as you said. Thank you for that.

One piece of advice I might offer, is that that huge banner announcing it might be bettered if the final words of it were the advice you give here; X it out and it will be gone. Many of your members never see this "Forum Tips" subforum and most-to-all will feel a bit stymied by the immensity of the announcement on every page.

So far as feedback about the Skim technology, I haven't seen it yet on your site, so no direct human feedback at this time.

(edited)

You asked for feedback - that's mine.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-28-2011 at 06:06.

Thumbs up Whatever it takes . . .

Here's my takeógo for it. These fora provide a valuable service to those of us who frequent it, but it must or should reward its owner and administrator for the time they invest. And, as the Skim Links header says:

Currently, we have three ways to monetize our forums; Forum Sponsorship, Banner Ads, and Paid Memberships. The resources coming in from these sources are not enough to get us where we want to go, so we have been looking at other means to grow.
    I'm guessing that one of the reasons for the multitude of fora here, which all cater to specialized interests, is the opportunity to sell ads to businesses and organizations catering to those interests. For instance, AK Backcounty has a nice ad on the AK Resources forum, guides advertise on the fishing fora, and so on.

So . . whatever it takes to keep these fora active and viable, go for it, Michael and Brian. Wading through whatever is a small inconvenience compared to the service these fora provide us.

*A specific suggestion: You might try soliciting an ad or sponsorship from UCIDA or UFA for the Fisheries Management forum . .

My experience working in the IT field, is that it is generally disliked.
    I think it will be great fun - Which forum do I post that I'm looking for information on cougar hunting?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Update

We have temporarily taken the notice offline due to a technical issue, and will repost it this afternoon. Regrettably, this may mean that you may see it one more time. Please bear with us on this; we are all learning...Thanks in advance for your patience. Regards,Mike

Hate, loathing, disdain, abhorence. They are intrusive and invasive, frustrating and aggravating. If one enjoys random pop ups everytime their cursor drifts over a "BING" then they certainly enjoy IN YOUR FACE this junk.

I am sure I missed something, but I don't want to sugarcoat it anymore than I already have.

Wink Veni, vidi, vici and all that . . .

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, fulbush. Back in the horse-and-buggy days when I attended high school, I took a year of Latin in the ninth grade.

Fora is the plural of forum as data is the plural of datum.

Kinda late in the game to change . . .

Skimlinks is a software "enhancement" if you will that simply seeks out key words within threads and turns them into links that "should" be associated with the topic. For example in a perfect world if someone posted up about how great their kimber firearm shoots then the skimlinks software may find the word kinmer and link it to a kimber related site. There will invariably be erroneous links to unrelated sites but we will work to minimize that. The pro is that this is one way that we can add income through advertising to the site while still offering a free service to the members. The con is that there will almost certainly be implementation issues consisting mostly of erroneous links that we will eventually iron out. Some people also just flat out don't like links that when you hover over them may pop up a blurb advertising something. The sites I have seen using this software do not create real popups but rather will open a box next to the word when you are hovering that goes away when you move your mouse similar to the preview feature when hovering over a thread title in the main forum screen.

I hope that this venture will prove to be minimally invasive to the members interaction with the forum but will do well at providing a source of income to the owner so that we can all continue to enjoy this free service.

I now prefer using Tapatalk 10:1. Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Skimlinks is a software "enhancement" if you will that simply seeks out key words within threads and turns them into links that "should" be associated with the topic. For example in a perfect world if someone posted up about how great their kimber firearm shoots then the skimlinks software may find the word kinmer and link it to a kimber related site. There will invariably be erroneous links to unrelated sites but we will work to minimize that. The pro is that this is one way that we can add income through advertising to the site while still offering a free service to the members. The con is that there will almost certainly be implementation issues consisting mostly of erroneous links that we will eventually iron out. Some people also just flat out don't like links that when you hover over them may pop up a blurb advertising something. The sites I have seen using this software do not create real popups but rather will open a box next to the word when you are hovering that goes away when you move your mouse similar to the preview feature when hovering over a thread title in the main forum screen.

I hope that this venture will prove to be minimally invasive to the members interaction with the forum but will do well at providing a source of income to the owner so that we can all continue to enjoy this free service.
    What's good for M & M Enterprises will be good for the country.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I also use tapatalk for 90% of my browsing. I just wish I could figure out how to send rep with it.

skimmilk....
    Change we can believe in!
    Proud to be an American!

Wink Tongue in cheek . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    . . It's never too late to learn how to effectively communicate....
    I appreciate the humor, dkwarthog, none of us need take ourselves too seriously. And thanks to fulbush as well.

Howeverrrrrrrrrrr . . it matters little whether one is understood by five people or five thousand . . .

. . if one can pick the five. . .

Default Skimlinks vs. Skimwords

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Skimlinks is a software "enhancement" if you will that simply seeks out key words within threads and turns them into links that "should" be associated with the topic.
    Maybe I read about the two technologies badly, but I thought that product you describe is Skimwords.

And that Skimlinks instead is a product that adapts existing links into a different type of link that still lands the user on the same page, but does so in an "affiliate fashion" thus that this site will reap a small percentage of any sales that user may make. This programatic link/adaptation is not in itself new technology; in fact I wrote an Internet software program in the 90's that did it.

Here's an example of what I understand Skimlinks to do: I can create a link here in this post to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ Click on that and you'll be at the Amazon site. But because this site now/will use Skimlinks, when you go there (through the magic of 'cookies" and affiliate sales programs) Amazon will know that you came from outdoorsdirectory.com, and will reserve a portion of money you spend there and send it to this site's owner. Typically this "sales kickback" condition will last for a set time period; maybe 30 days or so, but I'm not sure what cookie expiration date Skimlinks uses.

It's cool technology, and does not cost the end user (us members) so much as a penny. Personally, I like this site providing some more financial remuneration for its owner; that better ensures this site will continue to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Maybe I read about the two technologies badly, but I thought that product you describe is Skimwords.

And that Skimlinks instead is a product that adapts existing links into a different type of link that still lands the user on the same page, but does so in an "affiliate fashion" thus that this site will reap a small percentage of any sales that user may make. This programatic link/adaptation is not in itself new technology; in fact I wrote an Internet software program in the 90's that did it.

Here's an example of what I understand Skimlinks to do: I can create a link here in this post to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ Click on that and you'll be at the Amazon site. But because this site now/will use Skimlinks, when you go there (through the magic of 'cookies" and affiliate sales programs) Amazon will know that you came from outdoorsdirectory.com, and will reserve a portion of money you spend there and send it to this site's owner. Typically this "sales kickback" condition will last for a set time period; maybe 30 days or so, but I'm not sure what cookie expiration date Skimlinks uses.

It's cool technology, and does not cost the end user (us members) so much as a penny. Personally, I like this site providing some more financial remuneration for its owner; that better ensures this site will continue to exist.

The reason that this stuff is so despised, is that in practical terms, it's spamming. Even worse than filling your in box with ads, this modifies what you write by imbedding hyperlinks which you did not intend - in effect making you the spammer. Maybe you asked about fishing in the amazon? Great, now there's is a link to God-Knows-What???

To say it doesn't cost the end user a penny isn't any more true than to say that TV commercials, email spam or junk mail delivered by the post office is free. All of those are "free", hated by the public, and not free in any way.

I still think it's going to be fun ... unless I get kicked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast