Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter food

Default Winter food

I know it's a little early but here is the scoop. My wife is trying to finalize her food menu for our Mobile kitchen for the H.D (Yes Vince that's why that blue thing is on the yard lol !) We are going to hit different snowmaching areas every weekend and are trying to get a menu up. Our food is going to be fresh none of those frozen beef patties %100 fresh beef. Any way looking at what people might want or get now as a quick grab and eat on the go hot food. So far

Breakfast
    Burrito,Potato,egg,cheese,bacon
    Waffle,Egg,bacon sandwich
    sausage gravy biscuits

Lunch/ Dinner
    Burgers
    hot dogs beef and reindeer dogs
    grilled cheese
    B.L.T
    Chili

Coffee,soft drinks

As of now no fried food holding off on the deep fryers for now
    Want to keep the menu simple so we can cook it and get it out as fast as fresh food can be cooked
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Man that's something. Fast food on the trail. Personally, I like your breakfast stuff at anytime.

P.S. ANYTHING tastes better when it is deep-fried. The BEST french-fries in the world, as seen on Tony Bourdain, are deep-fried in duck fat. Get the deep fryers installed and start making people happy. But where can one get duck fat?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

We will serve our menu all day . I know about the deep fryer but before I invest 3 grand in a deep fryer setup you are just going to have to deal with chips

If you are looking for things to cook on the go on your sled, pick up a copy of Sled Cooking 101 by Janine Stewart. It's full of recipes and ideas for your Hot Dogger/Muff Pot/Hot Pot/etc.

Thanks Morsno ,But we have a full commercial kitchen on wheels It's going to be pulled with the truck not the sled LOL. But I might just pick that book up

Thanks

Cold days I think of a hot meal that sticks to the ribs. Something with mashed potatoes....perhaps a Shepherds Pie packed into a big sourdough roll.

Of course it hasta be made with moose burger.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fresh French roast coffee, made strong with hot water on the side to water down, hot cocoa for the kids. Yup, it will be kewl.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Fresh French roast coffee, made strong with hot water on the side to water down, hot cocoa for the kids. Yup, it will be kewl.
    Going to have fresh hot coffee and cocoa and PB&J for the kids

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Cold days I think of a hot meal that sticks to the ribs. Something with mashed potatoes....perhaps a Shepherds Pie packed into a big sourdough roll.

That sounds good might have to steal that from you ,I think F&G and the Health Department would frown on the moose But keep them rolling my way got another week before we have to turn in our menu

Roger,
    Anything self-contained that's not to sloppy to eat when wearing all those clothes.

A tureen or two of soup and chili would be popular, but surved in a steep sided container, like a 20 oz cup, not a bowl
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Roger,
    Anything self-contained that's not to sloppy to eat when wearing all those clothes.

A tureen or two of soup and chili would be popular, but surved in a steep sided container, like a 20 oz cup, not a bowl
    Yep we planned on serving in a cup with lid to go. Been there done that sloppy thing with all the clothes

You're going to have a flat top, right? If so, quesidillas are super quick and easy to make.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You're going to have a flat top, right? If so, quesidillas are super quick and easy to make.
    We have a monster flat in there Had to even out all the equipment on both sides so the trailer will not flip over LOL!!! But that is a good one will check more into that one. Trying to keep the menu short and sweet . Less is sometimes better learned that this year with our summer business

Looks like a nice simple menu so far and tasty!

So since you are hitting different trails every weekend how we all gonna know where you are and when? might just have to plan the riding season around the mobile kitchen. LOL
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

wow, I've never had a shepherds pie packed into a sourdough role, but that sound freaking amazing. This is going to be my next meal for sure. I'll grind up some caribou and try this idea out. Might even make my ice fishing menu.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGONUT View Post
    So since you are hitting different trails every weekend how we all gonna know where you are and when? might just have to plan the riding season around the mobile kitchen. LOL
    We are going to start off at the Kroto creek campground since we live close by and go from there. Only going to be there or elsewhere on weekends

Another question, What does everybody carry for $$$$ Cash or Credit ? Looking at a mobile card machine for the trailer right now we just have a home based unit for the other business.So might just have to take cash for a little while

You'll find more and more folks traveling only with cards. I've caught myself at times with no cash on hand. It sucks but getting a card machine will most likely get you more business. So, so easy to flip out the plastic nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Another question, What does everybody carry for $$$$ Cash or Credit ? Looking at a mobile card machine for the trailer right now we just have a home based unit for the other business.So might just have to take cash for a little while
    Because of how remote even just a few miles down the road can be, I never leave home without at least $100 cash in my pocket for any unknown expenses. Gas on the trail, good samaritan type stuff etc.

Keep in mind you'll pay out 3% on all credit cards.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If you have an iPhone try Square for credit card transactions.

I'd definitely hit a food wagon before and after sledding. Tasty yet grab and go food items
    , stuff eatable while on the road, would be an epic win in my book. How about a homemade pulled pork sandwich with slaw and spicy BBQ sauce?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast