Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Sled

Default Ladies Sled

I'm planning on getting my wife a new sled this season. She has always ridden big utility Bearcat/Viking types. Any suggestions for a small, light weight trail sled? It dosen't have to go fast, she dosen't highmark, or boon dock. Looking to get something new, the more pink the better,

Duncan
    Fairbanks

Most any of the 600cc sleds will work. Just do the dealer rounds and let her hop on a few. One will stand out!

Skidoo 550fan is a good sled for a lady.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Too bad they don't make an XLT anymore.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

550F Dirt notes. Plenty of power for trails and backcountry riding like poker runs and trips to the cabin. Lower fuel economy than the 600 but less weight and cheaper too. Great for late season when the liquid cooled machines are overheating. Easy to pull start, but get an electric starter. If you go with the Tundra, get the higher windshield if you plan to ride when it is real cold. If the dealers still have any 2011 machines, they might have a sweet price too.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I was hoping they still made sleds in the 340-440 range, but in the new style. It doesn't seem to exist. After wrestling big wide/long tracks, I'm looking for something light. Also something my teenager will be embarassed to ride, it it won't get borrowed and destroyed (through no fault of his own of course). Looks like the lightest currently in production is a 550. I might just get a quiet 4 stroke.

some 4strk sleds don't like to freewheel when you let off the gas. Engine braking is a PITA on a sled! Nothing like letting off the throttle on a steep drop and beating the sled to the bottom of the hill!

That's how it is on a buddies Yammie.

Look around, I know you could pick up a very lightly used Polaris 340 fanner that will be everything you want it to be. I did this for my wife a few years back, installed electric start and reverse. She loved it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

My wife has a 05 Expedition Sport, which has a 550F, 136 track, electric start and is comfortable to ride. She likes it a lot. Not pink, and your kid may not be too embarassed to ride it, but it is not as much fun in the powder as other sleds, so he might still not want to borrow it. You can always throw some flower decals on anything you get to keep him off.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    My wife has a 05 Expedition Sport, which has a 550F, 136 track, electric start and is comfortable to ride. She likes it a lot. Not pink, and your kid may not be too embarassed to ride it, but it is not as much fun in the powder as other sleds, so he might still not want to borrow it. You can always throw some flower decals on anything you get to keep him off.
    Flowers and some Barbie decals, those are anathema to the male of the species.

Most of the ladies I know that ride, ride full size 700 or 800 sleds and love them. If she rides a Bearcat or a Viking, anything under a 600 is going to be pretty boring. The weight difference between modern 500's and 800's is nothing.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I don't really understand this thread. Maybe because I don't ride for anything except utility.
    Lightweight and comfortable I understand. I guess guys prefer heavy, uncomfortable rides?
    I never knew that sleds had gender restrictions. Guess I learn something new every day!

FWIW, the whole "pink is for girls and blue is for boys" thing didn't begin until post-WWII.
    Aside from embarassment, tell your kid that "real men" don't use stuff without permission!
    Real men know pink helps 'em find you in an avalanche, and flower decals look really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    I don't really understand this thread. Maybe because I don't ride for anything except utility.
    Lightweight and comfortable I understand. I guess guys prefer heavy, uncomfortable rides?
    I never knew that sleds had gender restrictions. Guess I learn something new every day!
    I'm with you, actually. I don't ride much and don't own a machine, but when I borrow one, I'd much rather borrow my friend's 550 fan-cooled machine that is light and nimble instead of my brother's 800 that is heavier, sucks more gas, and a pain to get unstuck. I'll be looking at buying a couple of machines sometime in the next few years, and I'm almost certain that I won't be going over 600. I'm looking at this thread as a list of good options for me...though I might leave out the pink flower decals.

I disagree completely. As far as rights I am gender neutral as can be but to deny that there are differences between the sexes is silly. My wife and most women shoot smaller guns, ride smaller sleds, comfortably shoot smaller framed hand guns, peddle different bikes and draw lower weight smaller bows. The list is endless and sure there are a minority that blow the curve but it is a sound generalization based in fact. My wife can ride an 800 but she can't pull start it and doesn't need it. I weigh 265lbs and a 600 doesn't have the power I need in some situations. My wife weighs 1/2 as much as me and a 600 will take her to the same places that I need the 800 to get to. Her clothing has different requirements because she (and most women) shed heat differently. As long as I have a warm core I am usually fine, if her arms or legs get cold she is freezing! The examples are numerous! My family is 4 males and the wife. She likes pink and that like the op is a personal choice. She likes to play with the boys doing "boy" things while maintaining a splash of "femininity" if you will. For her a flaming skull graphic in pink is just the ticket! Personally I just enjoy having her out there and will get her what she wants and needs so that she gets maximum enjoyment out of the experience!

My wife and I both ride 600 etec Renegades. Our best friends ride the same thing, too. For an all-around fun, capable, lightweight sled the Renegade is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    My wife and I both ride 600 etec Renegades. Our best friends ride the same thing, too. For an all-around fun, capable, lightweight sled the Renegade is hard to beat.
    Those are sweet machines for sure, but 20 k for a couple of snow machines this day and age is tough for me to grasp. Oh well I guess a guy can charge a couple up.
    I see where LuJon is coming from, but I'm w/ Seraphina and Brian on the frilly accessories

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

if shes really fat a 600cc might not be big enough, if shes skinny a 200cc could be good
    Semper Fi!

My partner drives a 800 expedition four stroke. She is only about 115 pounds but can handle the expedition fine. Good for hauling ( any good old lady should be able to haul in the bush) and good for trail riding!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    if shes really fat a 600cc might not be big enough, if shes skinny a 200cc could be good
    If shes really fat then I suggest a Arctic Cat!

An exped 800 4-TEC is a nice sled but is only about 1/2 the power of most 800 two stroke sleds. Not exactly apples to apples there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast