Thread: 2011 Denali Highway Moose

Default 2011 Denali Highway Moose

I spent my entire moose season working on the lodge for the most part, except one day I was able to hunt a full day... the last day of the season. We left the lodge at about 9am. I told my hunting partner that we were just going to ride trails as fast as possible and look for fresh tracks and go from there. We had a light rain the night before. We rode and rode... and finally about 25 miles into the ride, I spotted several moose cross the trail in front of us. I was off the machine like a flash with my gun in hand and went in the brush for a better look. I noticed one bull had at least 3 points on side, with a possible fork on the other. I stalked my way in and spotted what appeared to be a small fork about 30 yards in front of me, with a cow on each side of him. I looked over to my left and a very large bull was looking at me 50 yards away. I'm certain he was 50", but couldn't get a good enough look at his brow tines, and I was sure the fork in front of me was legal. I have my bino's up and trying to look at both of them, each in different directions, but the little fork gave me the look I wanted, and I could see he was legal. I took my attention from the large bull, pulled up with the .375 ultra mag, and let him have it. He fell in his tracks, and the other moose took off. This was about 2pm on the 20th. We did quick work and headed back to the lodge and enjoyed some great moose meat! I'll keep being thankful that I was more lucky than good this season!
    Claude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

That'll be great eater Claude.

Perfect! Way to get after it and make something happen, Claude. That big boy will still be there next year, so maybe that'll work out for the best as well. I'm hoping to come see you for some predator calling in mid February...glad to see you've got plenty of wood cut to keep me warm.

Brian if you are looking for company on that adventure I may be up for tagging along.

way to get it done with only a day of hunting
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

CLAUDE, that meat sure will help you get thru the winter. glad you got a good eater.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Brian if you are looking for company on that adventure I may be up for tagging along.
    I'll let you know, Jon...I just might take the company. I'll be planning it around a weekend when my wife and kids are out of town, but don't have the dates firm yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll let you know, Jon...I just might take the company. I'll be planning it around a weekend when my wife and kids are out of town, but don't have the dates firm yet.
    So long as its not early December weekend, I have plans for you helping me on a mission that weekend Brian.

Congrats Claude, glad you finally got a day to hunt for yourself. You guys sure were working hard the day I shot that caribou, but must say, the lodge is looking great. Once again, thanks for everything, and look forward to visiting this winter.

Very Good!!!
    Like you, if I had but only one day to hunt...It would be the last day of season!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

That's a dandy reward for all the hard work you put in over the summer! Good to see another for the freezer.

Talk about a last minute hunt congrats Claude!

Nice to get a "Quickie" once in awhile - congrats!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Plenty of us are happy with luck over skill!
    Conbrats.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Great job

Man that is getting after it way to go man. Making a quick decision to go with the little rack instead of hemming and hawwing over the bigger bull shows a dedication to the freezer instead of the wall. I think that says alot about you as a hunter and my hat is off to you. Thats what it's all about. Congrats.