Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Ft Hewes w 115 Yamaha Prop Question

Default 22 Ft Hewes w 115 Yamaha Prop Question

I just repowered my 22 ft Hewescraft Sea Runner with a 115 Yamaha 4 Stroke. Lots of advice from the dealers etc, but I'd like to hear from somebody with this boat and motor or similar. Right now I have a 17 pitch which seems to do pretty decent but I'm thinking a 19 might be better? Any advice?

What is your current WOT RPM? That will determine whether or not you can turn a 19 pitch. You should be able to turn between 5500 and 6000 at WOT.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    What is your current WOT RPM? That will determine whether or not you can turn a 19 pitch. You should be able to turn between 5500 and 6000 at WOT.
    I thought that would come up first. A Tachometer is first on my Christmas List. The RPMs sound under 5000 RPM but to be safe I'll get a tach before switching props.

You might even need to drop down to a 15 pitch if it feels like she is lugging now. Deweys tends to send the boats out the door underpowered in my opinion. I have been in a 22 foot searunner with the F115 and it was run WFO all the time. I would not want to be caught out in the snot with that set up. From what I experienced, it would be tough to power out of a trough if you had a full load. Hewes makes a great boat, though. I put 1000 hours on a set of yamahas pushing a 24 foot Hewes before getting 6 footitis.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think spoiled one is on the right track, if you were overreving with a 17 you would have most likely hit the rev limiter, and its obvious when the motor starts to stutter. It not hitting the rev limiter than I doubt you could turn a 19...unless the 17 is just right.....now I am not saying that is the best way to determine if you have the right prop but it would be accurate most of the time.......a tachometer can be very handy...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Buddy of mine had a 20' Alumaweld that had a 130 HP Suzi 2-stroker. He repowered it with a 115 HP 4-stroker. He was way underpowered and was running close to WOT with a medium load on flat water. I'd say you should be running a 150 HP 4 stroke.

I ran 4-blade 15-pitch and 3-blade 15-pitch aluminum props on my F115 when I had my 22-foot SeaRunner hardtop. The 4-blade prop gave me better fuel economy, and only gave up a couple MPH on the top end. The 3-blade prop was better if I had a heavy load, like a week-long bear hunting trip with lots of gear.

I tried a 17-pitch prop once, and it was too much for my set-up. I could only make about 5200RPM.

I have a 115hp Yamaha on my 22' SeaRunner & I run two props the same as Dan - 13.25" x 15 4 bladed ss prop @ 5800 rpm wot & a 13.5" x 15 3 bladed aluminum prop @ 6000 rpm. I run the 4 bladed ss prop almost exclusively as it seems to be a pretty good all round choice except when you go to Big Lake & use it for a shallow water rock detector!

Thanks for the advice. akdewey and Dan in AK have boats that just like mine so very helpful. Now it's time for a tach and hopefully it's a simple - like a dangling wire marked tach....

I run a 186 weldcraft w/ 150 etec turning a stainless 3blade 15 X15. Can't tell if I'm hitting the rpm limiter or not. But the tack will only read about 5200 rpm. Since I'm coming up w/ 3year or 300 hr service this fall, I'm seating up with the dealer for a printout of the motor and an "on the water" laptop hook up to really see what the motor and prop is doing. Per Etecownersgroup.com , the question has come up concerning the acuracy of a analoge tack or a digital model . In the group "blog" it was highly suggested to prop for "optimum range" rpm, rather than just within "operating range" . 4 or 5 reasons were listed as advantages by being "pickey" about the correct prop. Time will tell if I'll be looking for a digital tack or a different prop. Lots of luck w/ your ride.

I run a 186 weldcraft w/ 150 etec turning a stainless 3blade 15 X15. Can't tell if I'm hitting the rpm limiter or not. But the tack will only read about 5200 rpm. Since I'm coming up w/ 3year or 300 hr service this fall, I'm seating up with the dealer for a printout of the motor and an "on the water" laptop hook up to really see what the motor and prop is doing. Per Etecownersgroup.com , the question has come up concerning the acuracy of a analoge tack or a digital model . In the group "blog" it was highly suggested to prop for "optimum range" rpm, rather than just within "operating range" . 4 or 5 reasons were listed as advantages by being "pickey" about the correct prop. Time will tell if I'll be looking for a digital tack or a different prop. Lots of luck w/ your ride.

I think a 17 to 19 is a big step for a 115 horse. I am running a 17 on my Hewescraft 22 ocean pro and the motor is a 4 stroke 225. I may be a bit underpropped but the motor is not straining at high rpm.

ssminnow,
    Looking at putting another prop on my boat too. What was the prop you settled with? I have a 22' SeaRunner (Non-ET) with a 115 Yamaha and I feel like I should be going faster than I am. I am fairly new to ocean boating but running around 5400 RPM on flat seas I can go about 23 knots with a 13.5 x 15 three blade aluminum. Maybe that is about right, but seems to burn a lot of fuel for not going very fast. Never had it WOT so I don't know top end. Any info you guys could provide would be of great help.

Thanks

If you are looking to get a new prop anytime soon, check out Dewey's. They are discounting all the Solas props. I heard they aren't selling them anymore. A buddy of mine just picked up two at about half price.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman 101 View Post
    ssminnow,
    Looking at putting another prop on my boat too. What was the prop you settled with? I have a 22' SeaRunner (Non-ET) with a 115 Yamaha and I feel like I should be going faster than I am. I am fairly new to ocean boating but running around 5400 RPM on flat seas I can go about 23 knots with a 13.5 x 15 three blade aluminum. Maybe that is about right, but seems to burn a lot of fuel for not going very fast. Never had it WOT so I don't know top end. Any info you guys could provide would be of great help.

Thanks
    From the sounds of things it sounds like the boat is under powered.
    You are having to go too far above the RPM sweet spot to get speed that really should be available at 3800-4000 rpm.
    Most outboards are their most fuel efficient at or just under 4000 rpm.
    I think your boat would run much better with 150-175 HP on it.
    What is the maximum HP rating on the capacity plate on the boat?
    You really want to be pretty close to the maximum for best mileage and performance.
    My 18 footer is rated for a maximum of 125hp and currently has a 90hp 2 stroke on it. It cruises at 26-28 mph and tops out in the mid to high 30's. Fuel mileage is cut nearly in 1/2 at WOT (5200 rpm) as opposed to cruise at (4000 rpm).

I'm planning on repowering next year or the year after and am struggling with getting a 90 hp 4 stroke or upgrading to a 115 hp 4 stoke. Guess I'll have to see how deep my wallet is come the time.

ssminnow,

Thanks
    You may be under proped, if you are cruising at 5400/23 I would say you are definetly needing more pitch. At WOT you should not exceed max RPM, I think it is 6K for that motor. RPM at wot should be midway between 5000-6000 RPM.
    TR

ssminnow,

Thanks
    Maybe drifter nailed it, this is performance billetin from yamaha, boat may not be identical to your but it was tested with what sounds like the same prop you have, so if all is well I would expect you would see similar numbers.
    http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites...ht-f115txr.pdf
    TR

I just bought a used 18' searunner and it has a 90hp 4 st yammie on it......you guys have me wondering whether I am going to be under gunned ..........find out saturday.....I have to buy another prop for it (only have 1) and am thinking of going stainless, but I want to be able to trade it out if it is not the right RPM...

ssminnow,

Thanks

Check the engine mount, I would bet you are set as low as possible. Raise it up a hole and re-test.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Ok, I looked at the performance bulletin and see thereare essentially two differences: the extended transom and the hole positionwhere the motor is mounted. The performance bulletin has it in position 2,where mine is just as SkinnyRavan suggested--in the lowest setting.

I have also inspected my prop and found that it had a few dings in it here andthere and there was a decent bend at the end of one of the blades and a smallbend in another. I would expect that to have an effect on performance. So Ihave swapped the prop with my back-up prop which is the exact same just neverbeen used. Hopefully I will see a difference in performance. If not, I'll movethe motor up a hole. If I end up moving it up a hole, is there a spacer thatshould be placed in the gap which will be created from moving the motor fromthe lowest physical setting or is there no problem with the gap?

Thanks for all of your posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast