Thread: Rose Hip Recipes?

Default Rose Hip Recipes?

I'm processing some rose hips and I want to make a "fruit leather" type of candy.

Does anyone out there have any recipes that are close to that?

Smile Rose-hip candy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook1986 View Post
    I'm processing some rose hips and I want to make a "fruit leather" type of candy.

Does anyone out there have any recipes that are close to that?
    Not exactly "leather" but candy nevertheless . . reprinted from the Fairbanks newspaper:

Rose Hip Candy
    By Janet Woodring

Harvest rose hips. Remove the seed from each rose hip with a small coffee spoon or pointed knife.

For each 1 cup rose hips, dissolve 1/3 cup sugar in 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp water. Add rose hips to the sugar-water and cook over medium heat. Be sure all hips are coated on the inside. Cook until rose hips are just about to burn, about 5-10 min. Remove hips quickly from pan- but individually, if you can- dropping each onto a sheet of waxed paper that is covered with granulated sugar. (Use two forks for this process.) Separate any nested hips. Sprinkle sugar over them, then roll in the sugar until the hips are well coated on all sides. While they are drying, break off any hard bits of sugar. Add more sugar and toss the hips gently with two forks. Store in a glass jar.

It is not advisable to try more than 1-1/2 cups rose hips at one time. For that amount, use 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. It is best to have the hips only one layer deep in the pan to avoid nesting hips. Also, the syrup thickens fast while you are removing the hips from the pan.
    And here's a recipe for rose-hip leather from UAF. It's a PDF file, so let it load. If you don't have Acrobat Reader, let me know, and I'll cut-and-paste it for you:

http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publica.../FNH-00228.pdf

Great recipes man! Just got a dehydrator and I'm on a foraging binge. Too bad I started so late.. Any other neat things I can hunt for that thrive in the fall?

Thanks for the info Marcus. Gonna try it tomorrow. now is the best time for some berries like rose hips and lingonberries, just after that first frost. I make a killer lingonberry and walnut/pecan jam, and my raspberry-current jelly is pretty yummy too!

Rosehips make a great tea as well - mix with a bit of mint and cinnamon.

Thumbs up Scandinavian recipes . .

New Scandinavian Cooking is a TV series broadcast by PBS on the Create channel. Here's the Web address for anyone interested:

http://www.newscancook.com/home/?__k...d4d86a2505a3d1

Fun to cruise their recipe files . . lots of "northern" type foods, including lingonberries, cod, crab, cabbage, 'bagas, and other such delicacies familiar to those of us inhabiting the earth's colder regions..