Thread: limited out and dog brings you someone elses cripple?

Default limited out and dog brings you someone elses cripple?

I only ask this cause myself and a few buddies have had this happen in the past. You have your limit and your picking up/walking out and your dog pops out of the bushes with a cripple that someone else shot and didn't find or sailed ect. Now you one bird over your limit, what do you do? If you keep it you over bag limit, if you leave it its wanton waste. In the past i was able to find the guys who sailed the bird but what if they hadn't been there? I realize this is a question for the troopers but what do you guys think from an ethics stand point? I've noticed a good number of lame birds floating around this year. Just a reminder that everyone needs to make every possible effort to recover every bird even if it goes hundreds of yards And if you knock one down and dont find it then in my eyes count it in your bag limit.
    Griffin

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I don't think it's wanton waste if you didn't kill it. If it were, every person who finds something dead in the woods would be guilty of the same.

Chances are you would have to convince the judge if the trooper caught you with over limit. Ethics would say to keep the bird, but according to the law it would be illegal to keep it and illegal to toss it. When I was young in Calif hunting one opening day afternoon after all the ducks had been scared away, I talked with a late hunter on the levi that all he did was walk the levi and let his dog collect a limit of wounded birds. We have also found wounded birds near the DL portage after a days hunt, but were not close to the days limit so keeping it was no problem. Bud
    Wasilla

This tends to happen more on opening day than any other. We found three on our way out opening morning.
    Some of my friends in Washington have run into this same problem. They kept the bird and got a ticket for over the limit.
    I usually try to lay the bird in an open area so if the shooter is looking, he or she can easily find it. If they don't at least a hawk will be able to find the duck and it won't be complete waste.

I actually had this happen and it brings up a sore subject that happened this weekend. I had a good day in the field three years ago we ended up getting a two man limit on geese and were packing up decoys and getting everything in order to head out when my lab retrieved a goose. So i thought to myself, well see must of been playing with the other eight and grabbed one and started running around with it. so I threw it in the pile on the back of the tailgate and started counting to make sure she hadn't grabbed another dropped it without me seeing. Well not much longer after i turned to see where my lab was at did I see her with another bird in mouth she fetched it to me and then turned and ran back into the tree line. Following her steaming more and more as i got closer i found two more geese stacked under some bushes. The geese had to of been old because they were stiff and starting to stink. This irritates the @^$& out of me people want to go out and have a good time but have no morals. There was another issue that burnt me this weekend there were tons of people out skyblasting after getting the stalk put on our decoys more than a couple times i started to get irritated. Then I noticed that people were skyblasting and wounding cranes everywhere birds were hobbled up in the fields and I know the shooters could see what they had done but didn't even attempt to go after. DIDN'T EVEN TRY!! that afternoon while scouting I counted 4 wounded cranes hobbling around in fields that obviously couldn't fly, and found two dead one in the middle of a road and one in the field that I spotted with binos. I say screw you to those kind of people don't give everyone else a bad name because you are too lazy or have no morals. JUST STAY HOME. Thats my two cents I needed to get that off my chest I was pretty ticked. It takes me a good 1-2 hours to set out my spread and get things right for you jokers to come and stand 100 yards from my spread and shoot at birds that are way too far for you to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Chances are you would have to convince the judge if the trooper caught you with over limit. Ethics would say to keep the bird, but according to the law it would be illegal to keep it and illegal to toss it. When I was young in Calif hunting one opening day afternoon after all the ducks had been scared away, I talked with a late hunter on the levi that all he did was walk the levi and let his dog collect a limit of wounded birds. We have also found wounded birds near the DL portage after a days hunt, but were not close to the days limit so keeping it was no problem. Bud
    I don't see how it's illegal to leave the bird in the field. If you didn't kill it, I don't believe you have an obligation to recover it. If you stumbled across a fresh moose kill, would you feel an obligation to recover/butcher the animal and pack it out?

Here's my opinion...

If you've shot your limit and your dog finds someone else's bird on the way back to your rig, you're under no obligation to take it from your dog and add it to your bag. Tell him to drop it and keep moving. It's not wanton waste because you did not shoot it and it's not in your possession. What's that old saying? Possession is 9/10's of the law, lol.

If you're wounding birds and loosing them, then ethically you should be counting them to your bag limit. If you are hunting without a dog or boat and are dropping birds where you can't get them, you'd darn well better be counting those birds towards your limit. This is an occurrence I see occasionally out on the wetlands in Juneau. Jump shooters hike around without a dog and take shots that end up dropping birds into or across the channel and they have no way to retrieve them. It's poor ethics to hunt that way, but if they do, they better be counting every bird they loose toward their limit. To shoot 14 birds and bring home 7 is a serious issue in my book and I'll be speaking to or calling the troopers on people who I witness doing this.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I don't see how it's illegal to leave the bird in the field. If you didn't kill it, I don't believe you have an obligation to recover it. If you stumbled across a fresh moose kill, would you feel an obligation to recover/butcher the animal and pack it out?
    Frost I always try to see how things can look from a wildlife troopers point of view. If a trooper pulls up in his truck at the exact second that i'm taking the duck out of my dogs mouth and he sees me putting it on the ground... Depending on the trooper, you can all see where this can go.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Frost I always try to see how things can look from a wildlife troopers point of view. If a trooper pulls up in his truck at the exact second that i'm taking the duck out of my dogs mouth and he sees me putting it on the ground... Depending on the trooper, you can all see where this can go.
    yea my thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Roger that, but my point stands. All things being equal, if you didn't kill it, you aren't obligated to recover it. If LEO happens to show up at just the right (wrong?) time and sees you taking the bird from the dog, all you can do is tell him the truth. If it doesn't go your way, you have the option to go to court over it. If LEO shows up a few minutes later and finds you with one extra bird in the bag...that just won't go well, and I doubt a court date would change that.

Bottom line, I'd leave the bird in the field.

I wont take someone else's dead or crippled duck no matter what - i figure the rapters are more worthy - they sure will enjoy it more than i would. A stinky ole duck is not worth a fine no matter what. The guy that found the old geese or cranes or whatever you found - you should have put them right back, it probably helped the local fox population that winter.and could have given you something else to hunt later in the winter. Lemons to Lemonaide?

The few birds we wound and lose up here pales in comparison to what is going on all along the flyways. Its an unfortunate part of the sport and we ALL know it. I know some of you will claim you never lose birds, or you shoot your limit including the lost cripples - good on ya, and your not the problem, you never were.

I hope you reported what you saw to the Federal FWP - they actually have the pockets deep enough to probably do something about it if it was as blatant as you posted regarding the cranes. Sadly; i have read so many postings of people having to "get something off their chest about what they saw" on these forums that I'm totally jaded about it, and I think most others are as well. Call the proper Authority, report what you saw, keep it off the Inet in case the morons actually read this stuff ( i doubt they do) and maybe they will get caught the next time they go out. You can only hope anyway.

most of us would rather hear a report about how the Northerns are finally moving through so we can get out and get some decent shooting in. So....are they moving?

Reward the dog for finding it, take it, drop it and leave it for the food chain..to easy.

With all the other birds out there looking for food...seems pretty easy for me... I might even find a muskrat mound or something to put it on to make it more visable..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Like the other posters have stated. If you take it, it's yours and you can/will be cited. If you leave it some marsh creature willl make good use of it. Nothing really goes to waste in the wild. Case in point. 2 years ago I was hunting the ACWR the day after the opener. My dog got birdy and I walked over to see what was up wondering why she had not brought it to heal. It was a mallard with the breast eaten out by a raptor sitting right next to a very nice Simms wading jacket. The carcasss stayed and I felt obligated to remove the very expensive wading jacket so it didn't litter the marsh. Long story short, the jacket belonged to a highschool aged kid who had been hunting with his buddy the day prior and they had lost their way back to their gear and bird. The jacket was returned along with the cellphone in the pocket. After only one day the bird had been put to good use by the marsh.

If you are under your limit it doesn't hurt to let your dog hunt on the way out. Your dog will be very proud of whatever it finds. I bet I could sleep in for the opener and simply go walk 20 mile late in the morning and limit out within 2 hours. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    If you are under your limit it doesn't hurt to let your dog hunt on the way out. Your dog will be very proud of whatever it finds. I bet I could sleep in for the opener and simply go walk 20 mile late in the morning and limit out within 2 hours. Sad but true.
    But if your a responsible hunter, have taken your limit, and are ready to pack up, consider loading up your dog at this point (or ask him to heal, or leash him, etc.). Your dog has already had a good day and will not be offended by being asked to stop hunting, and you eliminate the risk of exceeding your limit identified by the OP.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    But if your a responsible hunter, have taken your limit, and are ready to pack up, consider loading up your dog at this point (or ask him to heal, or leash him, etc.). Your dog has already had a good day and will not be offended by being asked to stop hunting, and you eliminate the risk of exceeding your limit identified by the OP.
    Haha you dont know my dog. he would rather have his nuts cut off. he doesn't stop hunting even when we get to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    Haha you dont know my dog. he would rather have his nuts cut off. he doesn't stop hunting even when we get to the house.
    Well, I don't know what to tell ya Grif. I could ask "well, who's in charge of who?", but that would be a rhetorical question I guess. Best of luck!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lol, thats one good reason to nbe bad at duck hunting, I never have to worry about getting more than my limit, and If I see a crippled duck along the way I'll kill it and eat it no questions asked (unless, of course, I seesomebody else looking for it, then I'll till them where it is)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

if you really wanted that duck you could probably call the troopers and ask if you can have it and they would probably let you. is it worth the hassle for 2 little pieces of meat not really.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.