Thread: Aircraft engines vs automotive engines

Default Aircraft engines vs automotive engines

When I worked for Ak Clean Seas on the slope we had balanced and blue printed 502's, I thought this is the only way to go. Then last week in Cordova I was on my buddies airboat w/ a Continental aircraft motor and we fueled it up w/ the infamous Shoreside petroleum Avgas and fired it up only to have it die and we couldn't re-start it. I noticed water coming out of the over flow from the injector pump. Low and behold we noticed the racor filter was full of water so we proceeded to purge 2 gallons of water out of the tank, thankyou Shoreside! What amazed me was after we changed the filter and purged the tank the engine fired right up and ran great. I know for a fact an automotive engine would not have fired until we pulled the plugs and blew the water out of the cylinders. Were we lucky or is this normal for aircraft engines?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Don't know anything about ac motors, but when I got my 383 wet, had to pull plugs and change oil and some other things. Most ac also require ac fuel, if you were running on pump gas you were doing good. Did shoreline take any responsibility for the water and getting the motor running. i do know some ac boats run pump gas. Were you duck hunting and how did you do if you were. Bud
    Wasilla

Maybe AKGRUMPY could chime in....I think he has an A/C motor that has seen the water before. If I recall he pulled the plugs and changed the oil multiple times to get it going again.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Don't know anything about ac motors, but when I got my 383 wet, had to pull plugs and change oil and some other things. Most ac also require ac fuel, if you were running on pump gas you were doing good. Did shoreline take any responsibility for the water and getting the motor running. i do know some ac boats run pump gas. Were you duck hunting and how did you do if you were. Bud
    We were using AVgas. We bought 13.00 worth of water at 6.40 per gallon.... No we were moose hunting and we got just one.

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Maybe AKGRUMPY could chime in....I think he has an A/C motor that has seen the water before. If I recall he pulled the plugs and changed the oil multiple times to get it going again.
    BK
    It blew me away how easy it was to start after that big of a slug of water. I'm thinking luck played a part

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    It blew me away how easy it was to start after that big of a slug of water. I'm thinking luck played a part
    I think that you are just a bad ass...a lucky bad ass. I pumped five gallons of water out of my tank courtesy of a peckerwood neighbor kid. It stopped my outboards real quick. I just cleared the racors and motors' fuel filters and we were back in the game. I cannot say the same about the old neighborhood peckerwood, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If an injected aircraft engine died because contaminated fuel reached the cylinders its hard to believe the fuel lines didn't hsve contaminated fuel in them. I'd say lucky. Airplanes are famous for frosting plugs in the winter. That's about the only time we get a chance to get plugs wet. It'll end your day. Airplane drivers are taught to be vigilant about keeping water out of gas. For a reason.

Carbureted airplane engines use updraft carbs. All airplane engines have two spark plugs per cylinder with redundant magnetos. Aside from that they're just basic air cooled engines.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    I don't think mine has ever been in water. I never seem to get it to run long enough to get bad fuel through it.. Then again as hot as it gets, any water would be gone before it made it to the cylinders. LOL