Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The bull I let walk...

Question The bull I let walk...

I called this bull out of the timber and he held up at just over 100 yds. He had 4 cows who reluctantly followed. I was hunting on the southern Kenai Peninsula, where the new regs. call for 4 brow tines or 50 inches. He had 3 brow tines on his left antler and 2 on his right. I looked him over for about 15 min. and decided not to pull the trigger. I took a lot of photos of him, but as he disappeared back into the timber, I thought that I was letting a legal bull walk. What’s your estimate on the antler width?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got any photos from the front?

49 inches.

He's close but I think you were right to let him walk...

If that is the only view to judge, I let him walk also.

This bull is similar to the one I shot this year except mine had a bit larger paddles and it was a 47".....4 brows on one side...

I'm no expert here but I would have let him go as well... good call....

Also the ones we let go no matter what are always under 50"....lol

You made the right call. I would put him in the high forties, but doubt he is over fifty.

He's close but I would have let him walk as well.

I don't like the way the beams rise up from the skull. Usually 50"+ bulls lay flat or dip down a little. He looks like high 40's to me.

hard for me to get a good estimate with his head turned slightly the way it is. He has the look of a moose in the mid-high 40's though. Pretty frustrating huh?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

when in doubt, let 'em walk

You made a good call, he may have been either way- but you know you did not break the law and give us hunters another blackeye.

As tough as it is- good job!

Chris

From that angle, I just cant do the math to come up to 50+ inches. With a bull moose of this questionable size, I need a straightaway front or rear view to make a 50 inch SHOOT or NO-SHOOT decision.
    So, for now, it appears you made the correct decision for letting him walk off.
    But if I were you, I may hunt the same spot-area next year. Many of these rutting bulls are patterned and habituated to certain traditional rutting areas and will return to the same area next year during the rut!

During some of my moose observation research in a prior zoology and wildlife biology class, I sometimes judged that racks of certain moose to be "sub-legal". As we got within 15-20 yds. of some of the bulls, it allllllllll changed. The size of their antlers went from a 47" guess to far beyond that. I learned that to accurately judge a moose's antlers, it's best to close that gap and get as close as possible. That bull is over 50. Taking the measurements of three known dimensions from that picture, averaging them, I was then able to make a scale that when applied to his spread (even at the angle) I got 52"

I think it was his lucky day... hard to tell from that angle but he's getting up there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

at least you called one in, thats better than me this year....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Not claiming to be an expert here but I agree with the consensus. I think he is 46-48" wide based on this photo. That one point on the right side is throwing me a bit though and would add some width. I remember a few years ago, Northriver21 and I were looking at a very similar sized bull. From the front, we were both 100% convinced that he was not 50" wide. Every time he started to walk away, we would both say, now wait a minute, that's a big moose. Since that time I have paid close attention to the front and back view and determined that in most cases, I would size the moose differently. Wider from the rear view and a bit more accurate from the front. Just my 2 cents worth. Very nice moose though and a very hard call. Got a front shot for us to look at?

Nothing wrong with erring on the conservative side, but looking at the way those palms flare out at such a shallow angle....I'd put him for sure over 50 and probably a few inches to spare. A head on look would be nice though.

As an example of how mass means squat and antler angle is very important, his year we got two bulls, a 53 and a 50. The 53 was mine, had really nice mass, two brows on each side (any bull area) and taped at 53, but his tines curled in....had they flared out, he would have gone 58 (still a nice bull and I'm all peaches and cream about it.) However, the 50 incher was really spindly, but the outside tines flared way out, making what should in all estimations of mass be one or two years younger than mine, and at a distance I'd peg it at a 44-45 incher. Looking at the shallow slope and long pointy tines on this one....I'd put this guy over 50.

But, I wasn't there, you were, and you made a call and no one is gonna fault you for it. Must have been exciting to watch him for that long....more pics please.

Acoording to my calculations 2A width - 48x2.5y length/grainy content + 37.8 points / hang time x cell matter = 62.5 inches. Yea he was a shooter. At least next year he will be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by faithnhim View Post
    Not claiming to be an expert here but I agree with the consensus. I think he is 46-48" wide based on this photo. That one point on the right side is throwing me a bit though and would add some width.
    Don't sell yourself short there, you are pretty well spot on with your judgments. Remember all those years when our area first went to S/F 50" so we judged and then taped every single rack we could put a tape on???

I remember one time putting you on my shoulders to tape a rack in a local mall. Do you remember that? We carried a tape measure everywhere back then.

As for this bull, my gut is telling me he's a shooter, but that is pure gut without seeing a different view. The OP said he took lots of photos of this moose, so I'm wondering when he will release the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by faithnhim View Post
    I remember a few years ago, Northriver21 and I were looking at a very similar sized bull. From the front, we were both 100% convinced that he was not 50" wide. Every time he started to walk away, we would both say, now wait a minute, that's a big moose. Since that time I have paid close attention to the front and back view and determined that in most cases, I would size the moose differently. Wider from the rear view and a bit more accurate from the front. Just my 2 cents worth. Very nice moose though and a very hard call. Got a front shot for us to look at?
    Ah yes I remember that moose. I wore my saftey out on that bull off and on off and on. Talk about making a tough decision. Let him walk, probably better off though.... I cant remember if we ended up taking bulls that year or not. I know thats the one we left my very young son unattended while we played cat and mouse with that bull. That was scary, I thought he was with you the whole time.

I really appreciate all the collective knowledge of you forum members, and have learned a lot over the years from you all. I purposely posted the rear view photo only, because I've seen that this will make the antlers look wider than they do look from a frontal view. Just a little post-season test for us all. I've have some buddies think he was a monster from the rear view, but when I showed them the front shots, they were surprised it was the same animal. Pat yourselves on the back, 'cause most everyone was in the ball park on his size.
    I did the math on this bull many times, trying the several known methods for judging antler width, and it was too close to call for me. I tried Alaska True Adventures field judging tips that he had shared in earlier posts, and I found this to be most accurate. Here's a few more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast