Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goin' to Alaska Gonna Shoot Alot of Mooses.

Default Goin' to Alaska Gonna Shoot Alot of Mooses.

Well, actually, I'll only shoot one if all goes well. I one hour I will leave my house for the airport, Atlanta, Seattle, Juneau, Petersburg and then Big John Bay. We canceled the inflatable as there were to many variables (time, tide, weather, etc.) to cause concern about getting stuck out. Still, moose, bear, wuffs and wefferines better look out. I'll be back in two weeks unless the tide and weather conspire against me.

Great! Somebody else who just wants to kill and take a hero picture. I have to be honest. Your post does not show much respect to the great state many of us call home or the animals we respect when we harvest them.

Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Great! Somebody else who just wants to kill and take a hero picture. I have to be honest. Your post does not show much respect to the great state many of us call home or the animals we respect when we harvest them.

Just my $.02
    I don't think he meant it in that regard myself, or thats not the way I read it. Seems more like a guy that is stoked to go on a hunt in Alaska and dreaming about the all possibilities. Can't fault a guy for that. I get excited before every hunt I go on!

Just my $.02
    I'm not reading it that way, either. I see a man who is at the point of making his dream a reality, a man that is leaving behind flat southern lands full of whitetails for snowcapped mountains and game of a variety that cannot be found elsewhere. Heck, I live here and when I pack my bag for a hunt I still get excited like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Taking an animal's life is serious business, but when I'm loading that last bag into the truck and turning the key I can't help having visions of wolves coming by within range while I am skinning a moose the day after I came out of the alpine with a ram on my back.

Ken - Good luck, sir, and let us know how you do.

Wow Brian I have those same visions! I read it as a guy pumped to go hunt as well. I hope he gets one of each and dreams of the experience for many years!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I don't think he meant it in that regard myself, or thats not the way I read it. Seems more like a guy that is stoked to go on a hunt in Alaska and dreaming about the all possibilities. Can't fault a guy for that. I get excited before every hunt I go on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm not reading it that way, either. I see a man who is at the point of making his dream a reality, a man that is leaving behind flat southern lands full of whitetails for snowcapped mountains and game of a variety that cannot be found elsewhere. Heck, I live here and when I pack my bag for a hunt I still get excited like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Taking an animal's life is serious business, but when I'm loading that last bag into the truck and turning the key I can't help having visions of wolves coming by within range while I am skinning a moose the day after I came out of the alpine with a ram on my back.

Ken - Good luck, sir, and let us know how you do.
    I read it the same way you two did. The only difference is you both used more tact than the knucklehead in Anchorage deserves. I'll follow your lead and and not diss the Birdseed....Kenmack I hope your dream comes true and you bag a dandy bull, several wolves and a wolverine. I'll expect to see the pics of you posing w/ the bounty, good luck sir!
    Last edited by fullbush; 09-27-2011 at 09:51. Reason: dang LuJon if I would have waited one more minute I could have quoted you as well

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Kenmack,
    It seems like on every hunt some things go right, and some things go wrong. I hope that you experience more RIGHTS than WRONGS. In addition to those tides, watch the windS and rainS, that are part of most every hunt in the great north. Hope you whack a moose or more. Regardless of your critter whacking success, check back in with the forum and let us know what you did, what you got, what you got "schooled" on, ect.
    Your thread-post reads to me as though you are doing a self-guided mission. Let us know what equipment worked, and what didn't.
    Have a great adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    Well, actually, I'll only shoot one if all goes well. I one hour I will leave my house for the airport, Atlanta, Seattle, Juneau, Petersburg and then Big John Bay. We canceled the inflatable as there were to many variables (time, tide, weather, etc.) to cause concern about getting stuck out. Still, moose, bear, wuffs and wefferines better look out. I'll be back in two weeks unless the tide and weather conspire against me.
    Hopefully you'll use a 12 gauge on the wefferine, at least that is what Napolean Dynamite used when he hunted wefferines in Alaska!

Maybe I misread it too? I have no doubt that he is excited to be leaving on his hunt, but in my opinion his post conveyed he wanted to shoot everything he legally could. If it's legal fine! My problem is with the possible ethics of taking max harvest. Would he be able to transport all of that back home and make use of what he harvested? I doubt it.

Regardless, I hope he has a great time and considers his hunt successful whether he's able to "Shoot Alot Of Mooses" or not.

My problem is with the possible ethics of taking max harvest. Would he be able to transport all of that back home and make use of what he harvested? I doubt it.
    That's not for you to decide or assume, without knowing anything about this hunter. Sounds like a moose hunt, but if possible taking a few extra opportunity critters if they arise. If he was already planning on bringing a moose pack to Alabama I'm thinking a wolf and wolverine hide wouldn't add to much to the shipping and handling.

Alaska Lanche you are correct. It's not for me to decide or impose my opinion on others nor am I trying to turn into the freezer police. I'll keep that opinion to myself from here on out. Hopefully he has a great time and posts a report of his trip.

Good luck on the hunt! If you are hunting on an island then I would strongly consider having that inflatable raft with a small outboard.

Ken,

Good luck on the trip, I wish I had seen earlier threads about your trip. Bring a fishing pole for sure. Big John get's a nice run of cohos. Plenty of Moose in the Kake area so have fun. You won't be bored out there, that's for sure.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

However you do, I need to curse you for getting "Peaches" stuck in my head all morning. I'm not sure if that's the play on words you were going for, but that song has been going round and round since I first opened this thread.

For Brian

Default Hunting culture

I think the sentiments getting played here arise from a hunting culture divide. Up here we gather influence and culture from Native Alaskans. Hunting culture for them has a high degree of revrence for the hunt and as many of you know, you don't say your going to shoot something. For those not familiar with that, it's used out of respect for the game. Your basically not demeaning the animals skills or drive to exist. You go for a walk, an ATV ride, take out your sled, camping. Of course bring your knife and gun too.

Hunting culture down south is highly comercialized and the bolder the better. Bright banners, camo trucks, ect........Size matters.
    One head doesn't do it......you need a dozen whitetail heads.

So I understand the distaste that boils to the top when you come on an AK board and say your gonna go shoot an animal outright like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    41 years ago my dad came from the flatland of North Dakota to hunt moose, he took one and fell in love with Alaska and we moved here six months later. Most of us came from somewhere else and most of us hunters enjoy hunting other states from time to time and I expect we all get pretty excited about it. Good luck to you.

I moved up here for a job opportunity. Two years prior to moving up, I worked here for the summer and shot a big moose that fall, which I trucked home to WA and ate. Since moving up, my focus apart from family and work has been to slay as many large-horned, well furred, male, meat-bearing critters as family and work commitments allow, for the purpose of eating them and looking with fondness upon their horns on my wall. ~1700lbs of trimmed, wrapped meat in four years and we've managed to consume it, my little family of two at the start and four now. Guess I'm not birdstrike's and bighorse's ideal "hunter".

I can't reconcile with folks on this board who would have you go hunt but not try to kill anything...or say a hunt is anything different than a hunt.

Also, the use of the word "harvest" offends me. We're not hunting oats or trees. I prefer "kill" as it's more accurate and to the point.

Oh, to the OP: give 'er hell, and post pics when done.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    I moved up here for a job opportunity. Two years prior to moving up, I worked here for the summer and shot a big moose that fall, which I trucked home to WA and ate. Since moving up, my focus apart from family and work has been to slay as many large-horned, well furred, male, meat-bearing critters as family and work commitments allow, for the purpose of eating them and looking with fondness upon their horns on my wall. ~1700lbs of trimmed, wrapped meat in four years and we've managed to consume it, my little family of two at the start and four now. Guess I'm not birdstrike's and bighorse's ideal "hunter".

I can't reconcile with folks on this board who would have you go hunt but not try to kill anything...or say a hunt is anything different than a hunt.

Also, the use of the word "harvest" offends me. We're not hunting oats or trees. I prefer "kill" as it's more accurate and to the point.
    Exactly!! I don't know too many folks who go into the field with guns in their hands and a tags in their pockets that don't intent to shoot and kill something. This is our culture. When hunting, I usually hike, occasionally camp, and sometimes go for an ATV ride, but make no mistake about it, my intention is to shoot something...whether or not I actually get the chance is another issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast