Thread: Nowitna River Hunt

Default Nowitna River Hunt

Just returned from my first Nowitna River Hunt running the 21' Phantom 60/40 Sportjon with HPE190 Diesel and AT203 on a tunnel. We traveled 365 gps miles one way from Nenanna down the Tananna to the Yukon then down the Yukon to the Nowitna and then 90 miles up to the Little mud then 25 miles up the mud skipping log jams along the way. The 60/40 or forward console design like the Avenger made for great hunting platform. Pulling the pedestal seats out allowed us to sleep under the canvas comfortably so we utilized to boat to camp out of while we drifted and hunted back down the Little mud. The large bow deck made a great platform up front while the swim deck and engine compartment made for one on the back. With 145 gallons of fuel on board, two passengers and WAY too much gear we had over 2000lbs on board on the way down and on the way back we brought back a nice bull. Our round trip fuel consumption was 225 gallons over the 730 miles traveled. Diesel was readily available in Tananna although not via a hose at the waters edge. The folks at the Tananna commercial store graciously provided a truck to carry our 15 gallon drums to the water edge. Great folks! They even offered a free hot dinner, warm bunk and breakfast on our trip back up river. I was really amazed at the hospitality. Fuel was only $5.49 which was only $0.20 more then diesel in Cantwell and Nenana and it was $1 cheaper then gas. We only had to purchase 105 gallons on the river and returned back in Nenana not needing to utilize the 15 gal drum we stashed between Nenana and Tananna. Although the fuel economy was good, the wider 76" or 78" bottom sportjon model with the Hamilton and HPE190 or HPE250 would have been much better at 4+mpg. The only drawback may have been how it handled hitting some of the sandbars we skipped across on the way down and back. The AT203 on the tunnel did great keeping us moving forward while scrapping bottom. Time to go butcher up some quarters.

Fishing off the front deck.

Using rachet straps from the rails across the engine compartment provided a great platform for moose quarters to stay cool and off the floor. Provided for extra storage underneath as well.

Back bone, ribs, and neck under the tarp on the bow along with the remaining antlers after they had to be chopped at the check station.

Sounds like it was a great trip. I'd love to do it one day.

Congrats. Nice fuel economy. I just returned from the Koyukuk myself. What a great trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Congrats. Nice fuel economy. I just returned from the Koyukuk myself. What a great trip!!
    It was a great hunt and definitely a fun experience. I'm going to put in for the KCU next year and possibly hunt up there again. The last time was in the late 90's. If I don't get drawn, I may hunt the Nowitna, but I don't think the moose population was what it use to be. It's definitely one shorter now but according to F&G it needs a little predator control. Calf to cow survival has been down over the past few years and is key to abundant moose.

For anyone thinking about doing this trip here's some things to know.

Nenanna has a great boat lunch and trailer/truck parking facility. Take west 10th Ave just before the Tesoro gas station.
    It's 103 river miles to Manley. The launch at Manley was pretty sketchy!
    168 river miles to Tananna
    248 miles to the Nowitna Check Station
    338 Miles to the Little Mud.

how was the fishing that far up,,,,,,, this late in the year?
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    how was the fishing that far up,,,,,,, this late in the year?
    We didn't have any luck but really didn't try to hard either. Probably could use some pointers on pike fishing. Talk with someone who caught a 42" Pike near the lost river.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    It was a great hunt and definitely a fun experience. I'm going to put in for the KCU next year and possibly hunt up there again. The last time was in the late 90's. If I don't get drawn, I may hunt the Nowitna, but I don't think the moose population was what it use to be. It's definitely one shorter now but according to F&G it needs a little predator control. Calf to cow survival has been down over the past few years and is key to abundant moose.

For anyone thinking about doing this trip here's some things to know.

Nenanna has a great boat lunch and trailer/truck parking facility. Take west 10th Ave just before the Tesoro gas station.
    It's 103 river miles to Manley. The launch at Manley was pretty sketchy!
    168 river miles to Tananna
    248 miles to the Nowitna Check Station
    338 Miles to the Little Mud.
    Was the river miles a cumulative from the start ie, (103+65=168)? or 168 from Manley to Tananna.

Nice Pic's and post HG

Did you guys take any video?

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Was the river miles a cumulative from the start ie, (103+65=168)? or 168 from Manley to Tananna.

Nice Pic's and post HG
    The miles are cumulative from Nenanna. So it was 168 miles from Nenanna to Tananna according to the Garmin Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Yes, I have a bunch of Go Pro video from the hunt. I'll try to post some soon.

Eli, here's a link to some video I took. The sound doesn't appear to be working so I may have to reload.

Time permitting I'll post more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10ppVS9EUs

Got a new computer and software for editing the video and having some fun. Here's a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg66e...2VesPGZPiMUfDE

Halibutgrove man that sounds like it was alot of fun.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

How was the trip down the Tananna compared to starting at the haul rd bridge on the Yukon? We decided to drive the extra miles and put a few extra miles on the boats in favor of kinder boating, especially heavy. We are still considering the trip down the Tananna though. I am also interested in how many camps you may have seen on the mud. I can't imagine too many folks making that kind of trip with a prop, or most jet boats for that matter. Maybe we will see you down that way this year. Oh yea, we learned the packing too much lesson too. I keep learning that one actually.

Got a new computer and software for editing the video and having some fun. Here's a trailer.

Great trip. Thanks for posting.
    Neat trailer. Which editing software? Great result. You put a lot of time into it looks like?

Too bad you couldn't have had Cameron Diaz in there for a co-star billing eh?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Macs are pretty cool, eh? Nice trailer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Great trip. Thanks for posting.
    Neat trailer. Which editing software? Great result. You put a lot of time into it looks like?
    Using standard Imovie software on a PowerBook. They have built in trailers that you just add the clips to. Doesn't take long to create.