Thread: Late-September Homer Halibut Report

Default Late-September Homer Halibut Report

Went fishing out of Homer on Sunday 9/25. With the weather and marine forecast looking good we ran out towards Flat Island to fish for the morning. We had to work hard, but we caught our halibut. A lot of them were just pecking away at the bait, so I downsized to my old Muskie rod from back home and dropped a small (by halibut standards) hand-tied jig that I normally would use for rockfish down to see what was going on and finished my limit with a decent halibut that way. Was sure a lot more fun fighting the fish than the weight up from the bottom. Didn't see any other boats out fishing at all until we came around Pogi on the way back in.

After catching our Halibut we stopped on the way back for a couple of rockfish and did fine. Just wanted a couple to turn into lunch for today for my wife and me. Saw a big pod of killer whales and some dall porpoises while we were fishing there.

All in all, a great day was had on the water. Fish were there if we worked hard for them. Weather was great. Scenery was excellent. Hopefully this will help somebody out in the future if they are trying to decide whether or not a late-season trip can be productive. Now I just need to learn more about winter kings.

Sounds like a fun trip. I was pretty shocked last night on the news to see that a 339 lb. halibut was caught out of Homer on Sunday. (didn't get specifics) Saw the story on ktuu but can't find a link on their site. Here is a link to the Homer halibut derby site if you want to check it out. So close to the top and would have won many other years.
    http://www.homerhalibutderby.com/standings.htm

Thanks for the info...headed down Friday.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Great fishing out of Homer!! In the last week 339lb 270lb and 240lb halibut not be out done the kings are going nuts! king limits in under a hour! And I have to work

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Great fishing out of Homer!! In the last week 339lb 270lb and 240lb halibut not be out done the kings are going nuts! king limits in under a hour! And I have to work
    Good Gawd Man! I need to get myself to Homer! Now all I need is a friend w/ a boat

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I fish PWS, and I often catch a lot of my larger fish later in the year. Usually very productive.

We caught these flatties about 10 miles from the end of the Spit about a week and a half ago:
    catch o the day.jpg
    and the king on the way back in.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I fish PWS, and I often catch a lot of my larger fish later in the year. Usually very productive.
    Hey there ol' buddy, where ya catching these large butts? I'll divulge a secret in exchange

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov