Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Charges Van at Work

Default Grizzly Charges Van at Work

So I'm driving on the Haul Rd. and at mile marker 58.5 just north of the Yukon River my foreman tells me, "Hey look a moose, No... its a bear!" (He's an out of stater) So, I look over and its a Grizzly with a massive head! Well he's stomping around, snarling, and bouncing his head. My foreman goes to get his camera and I have my eyes glued on this guy and HE CHARGES! Well, he false charged and only came up about 25-30 yards. Originally 50-60 yards away from us. Now I'm in a big van and very safe. Yet, my butt puckered up so hard when he charged and my adrenaline sky rocketed. Now this is in safe conditions I know.. what I'm saying here is I have a new found respect for anyone who has been outside safe elements and had seen what I seen. Anyway, the he goes back to where we originally saw him. Then I realize he is on a moose kill. My foreman goes to take a photo and..... his batteries are dead. Well we were on a deadline and let him be. Couple hours later we were heading south and passing by the place where we saw him and I got on the radio with a fellow work telling him, "Well this is where we say that..... no, no wait he's still here!" He was still there or came back and was still enjoying his meal. Anyhow, like I was saying earlier. New found respect for anyone who has gone thru that outside safety! Even if a bear falsed charged, that was intense. I am sure glad I bought my S&W .44 over the winter for this years hunting adventures. Though I didn't see any Yogi's during that time I am sure as hell not going to leave home with out it. Be safe my fellow hunters.....

WOW UR A GROUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DARN MAGPIES
    Thank god you didn't have a gun or else you would have gut shot it!!!

I bet that was quite a sight to see ! Too bad the batteries failed in the camera, pics would have been great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    WOW UR A GROUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DARN MAGPIES
    Thank god you didn't have a gun or else you would have gut shot it!!!
    Wow, really ?!?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have a inkling of what you mean.

We saw 3 BBs crossing the highway, A Sow and 2 beeg Cubs, and I honked at them before they were out of sight.

They way they jumped around, was a bit scary. They were clearly, ready to FIGHT.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Pretty cool, first bear to see charge, Pic's would have been cool, video even better. Maybe next time though

[QUOTE=.338WM;1013168]I bet that was quite a sight to see ! Too bad the batteries failed in the camera, pics would have been great to see.

Nice the only wild life we've seen this trip is a bunch of sheep me and ken stalked up to about 50yards from them. Some foxes and a dead moose a guy flew into the airstrip with here. It was a nice bull 6x7 browtines!

Inside Joke!

Default 44

Hope you have the sights filed off.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    Inside Joke!
    On the outdoors forum?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Did they hit it taxing or landing? Or was it dead already and a plane hit it? I hope not, they shouldn't be flying if they did that!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Nice the only wild life we've seen this trip is a bunch of sheep me and ken stalked up to about 50yards from them. Some foxes and a dead moose a guy flew into the airstrip with here. It was a nice bull 6x7 browtines!

Is that something your suggesting? Or am I missing something that is outside my radar?

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Hope you have the sights filed off.

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    Is that something your suggesting? Or am I missing something that is outside my radar?
    LOL, you're "missing something" alright...

Its a joke, think about it for a bit...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

They got it on a fly in hunt

I had my first experiance with a grizzly Sat. the 16th. while bird hunting. We were up on a summit and I was walking down a small trail hoping to find some ptarmigan and ran into a grizzly at about 40yrds. He had his nose to the ground and was heading straight at me. I tried the "hey bear" twice and he never even looked up. The wind was in my face. They must understand some english or this bear did; when I said "someone with a big F..... gun get up here" he looked up and simply turned and slowly ran off. The local friend I was with believes it was a boar and called him a silver tipped grizzly and guessed him around the 600lbs. What an awsome animal; I feel privlaged to be able to see an animal like this in the wild. Some thing I will never forget, made the trip to Alaska. I am glad it was a good experiance and not a bad one; but what an experiance. can't wait to come vist again!!

Well good, I've been raised around them most of my young life. But just seeing stuff out in the wild is an exciting experience. This state is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsand View Post
    I had my first experiance with a grizzly Sat. the 16th. while bird hunting. We were up on a summit and I was walking down a small trail hoping to find some ptarmigan and ran into a grizzly at about 40yrds. He had his nose to the ground and was heading straight at me. I tried the "hey bear" twice and he never even looked up. The wind was in my face. They must understand some english or this bear did; when I said "someone with a big F..... gun get up here" he looked up and simply turned and slowly ran off. The local friend I was with believes it was a boar and called him a silver tipped grizzly and guessed him around the 600lbs. What an awsome animal; I feel privlaged to be able to see an animal like this in the wild. Some thing I will never forget, made the trip to Alaska. I am glad it was a good experiance and not a bad one; but what an experiance. can't wait to come vist again!!

That makes a little more sense Hunter.

I agree spyguy. I hope some day my children can experiance the great state of Alaska also.

Regarding the "front site filed down" you forgot the part about dipping it in butter, atleast that is what the dealer told me when I bought my 44 Mag 12 years ago. I bit the line and asked "really?" to which he replied "That way it doesn't hurt so much when the bear inserts it where the sun don't shine!" Now I know. I still feel safer than being out with nothing.
    Steve

Default Blonde Moment

Yeah I picked up on that "filed down" part the next day. Hook, Line, and Sinker. But, If I dont want to lug around my shotgun then my .44 is my next best friend for bear protection. What grain are you packing? I went with a 305 for mine and a 240 for just shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Regarding the "front site filed down" you forgot the part about dipping it in butter, atleast that is what the dealer told me when I bought my 44 Mag 12 years ago. I bit the line and asked "really?" to which he replied "That way it doesn't hurt so much when the bear inserts it where the sun don't shine!" Now I know. I still feel safer than being out with nothing.
    Steve
    2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast