Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Kenai on Saturday

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Default Kenai on Saturday

    Hey I just read the post about advice for new fishermen, some good stuff there!
    I've fly fished for small trout around here and am just getting to the point where I'm not intimidated by having people around watching me. I used to enjoy going out and just spending time on the water, I never caught fish because I had nobody to tell me what I was doing wrong. After a lot of research and asking for a little advice Ive actually started catching fish the last couple summers, havent been skunked in a long time, but I dont go out all that much either. I've picked up a couple books on reading streams but I honestly dont have much experience on streams and havent figured it out yet.

    I'm coming to AK on Thursday for a week, gonna pick up a sled dog in Fairbanks, but I'm flying into Anchorage and will thumb a ride down to Cooper Landing and camp Friday and Saturday nite. I booked a trip with Troutfitters on Sunday because I'm addicted to rainbows and dont have time to figure it out on my own. Saturday I'd like to go out and catch a couple silvers to take home with me. I may buy a spinning rod as I'm real comfortable with that, but Id REALLY like to experience a silver on a fly rod. I have an 8 wt rig I may bring, and I can search the forum to see what flys or beads to use, but Id sure like a little advice on a decent spot to give it a try.
    And I would not have considered asking this before reading the above mentioned post, but I'd definitely supply the beer if someone was willing to share their fishing spot with me.

  2. #2
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    We've done well just above last chance island with silvers. You can walk in to it. Park at jims landing and follow the trail through the woods to the east of the parking lot. It should take you out to an island just upstream of a rock face on the north bank of the river. Can't remember the name of the island. I've seen a lot of silvers in there in years past while chasing bows. There were a lot of silver in the middle a couple weeks ago to. You could also stop at some of the pull outs along side of the highway and check out some of those gravel bars. Water is high right now so some of the islands and rock bars are swamped but the water is dropping quickly.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  3. #3

    Default

    Rooster, walk in right across from the fuller lakes trailhead on the Kenai. You will get to a spot called the Cottonwood hole. If the water isn't to high you can cross over to the island on the top side of the island. Walk down to the bottom end of the island and fish the soft water on river right. Black and purple Egg sucking leeches, black leeches, something with some flash, articulating is good, go bigger flies but go smaller if you don't get any hits. If spinning throw #4 pixes and blue fox. Hopefully that helps. Troutfitters is great, they can definitely point you in the right direction as well if you go into the shop. Good luck

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I know exactly where the Fuller Lake lot is, Ive hiked in there for grayling, I will try that area.
    With salmon, do I want to see them in an area before I fish it, or will they be all over the river?

  5. #5

    Default

    You will see them. But I wouldn't worry fish that hole, short fast strips of your fly line, you shouldn't have a problem hooking cohos. Probably see lots of reds but the silver will be tight to the bank under the leaning tree.

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  6. #6
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Rooster, walk in right across from the fuller lakes trailhead on the Kenai. You will get to a spot called the Cottonwood hole. If the water isn't to high you can cross over to the island on the top side of the island. Walk down to the bottom end of the island and fish the soft water on river right. Black and purple Egg sucking leeches, black leeches, something with some flash, articulating is good, go bigger flies but go smaller if you don't get any hits. If spinning throw #4 pixes and blue fox. Hopefully that helps. Troutfitters is great, they can definitely point you in the right direction as well if you go into the shop. Good luck

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    That's the island I was trying to explain. You'll see them cruising by.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Default

    How deep will the water be in the area I have to wade across? I assume it's not fast moving water?

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs up Swiftwater . .

    Go to Swiftwater Park in Soldotna, drive down to the boat launch and park, walk down the boardwalk to the end, and get off. The run right in front of you and downstream a bit is a good spot for silvers. Word on the street is that the Kenai is hot for silvers right now.

    Good luck . . .

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Go to Swiftwater Park in Soldotna, drive down to the boat launch and park, walk down the boardwalk to the end, and get off. The run right in front of you and downstream a bit is a good spot for silvers. Word on the street is that the Kenai is hot for silvers right now.

    Good luck . . .
    Marcus, you forgot. He doesn't have a car!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Unhappy

    Thats right, no car.
    That means I'm gonna have to walk down the boat ramp.
    Glad to hear the silvers showed up, maybe even I'll be able to catch a couple!

  11. #11
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    It's none of my business but why are you not renting a car? It seems to me you will be spending more time trying to get some place than fishing. Remember the longer your fly is in the water the more chance you have to catching.Down along the river I don't think twice to thumb a ride from Jims back up to Sportsmans when moving the truck for floating. Other fisherman are good about giving rides. Getting from Anchorage Airport down to the Kenai river, than getting from place to place on the river might be another story.
    When I have broke down along the hwy I have found that most people don't pick up Hitch hikers.
    A rental car for a couple days can't break the bank, and if it does you have cut this adventure a little tight.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Power Drifter, of course its your business, this forum is here to offer opinions, no problem!
    I'm catching a ride down with a friend on her way to Kasilof, so I'll get dropped off somewhere down near Cooper Landing. I really enjoy hitchhiking in your state, AK is rated tops in several different categories related to hitchhiking, number one in safety. I hiked to Valdez a couple years ago for May Day fly-in and had 5 different rides and the longest I had to wait was about 20 minutes. My first ride I had a buddy drop me in Eagle River near the on ramp, I didnt even get to the bottom of the ramp and I had a ride. People are friendly and I enjoy that.
    Money for a rental car is absolutely no issue. I do it because I enjoy the people I meet. Half the fun is getting there, the other half is fishing once I get there. I totally understand what youre saying about being on the water, and maybe if I spent more time on the water than on the road, I'd be a better fisherman, but I'm really happy where I'm at, and I guess that's what's important.
    And on Monday I will be thumbing my way to Fairbanks, yeah, I know its probably gonna be cold and I'm ready for it, and looking forward to the journey. Is it crazy? maybe so. My wife isnt crazy about me doing it, I do it because you guys are great people and I enjoy getting to know you, one at a time.
    Again, the price of a rental car has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for your point of view!

  13. #13
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Rooster
    That makes total sense now.Good for you as its always nice to meet new friends. I had a friend I grew up with that thumbed his way all over America.
    With Troutfitters you will do great I have no doubt. Fall is still hanging on so enjoy this great state and Fish-on!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Rooster,
    I admire your sense of adventure. Please don't try to live in a bus and eat berries off the Rex trail. I hope you didn't burn your money either. I'll be down fishing Kenai River this weekend. If you can catch me with an open seat, I'll take you down the river.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Power Drifter, of course its your business, this forum is here to offer opinions, no problem!
    I'm catching a ride down with a friend on her way to Kasilof, so I'll get dropped off somewhere down near Cooper Landing. I really enjoy hitchhiking in your state, AK is rated tops in several different categories related to hitchhiking, number one in safety. I hiked to Valdez a couple years ago for May Day fly-in and had 5 different rides and the longest I had to wait was about 20 minutes. My first ride I had a buddy drop me in Eagle River near the on ramp, I didnt even get to the bottom of the ramp and I had a ride. People are friendly and I enjoy that.
    Money for a rental car is absolutely no issue. I do it because I enjoy the people I meet. Half the fun is getting there, the other half is fishing once I get there. I totally understand what youre saying about being on the water, and maybe if I spent more time on the water than on the road, I'd be a better fisherman, but I'm really happy where I'm at, and I guess that's what's important.
    And on Monday I will be thumbing my way to Fairbanks, yeah, I know its probably gonna be cold and I'm ready for it, and looking forward to the journey. Is it crazy? maybe so. My wife isnt crazy about me doing it, I do it because you guys are great people and I enjoy getting to know you, one at a time.
    Again, the price of a rental car has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for your point of view!
    Sounds like fun to me bud! Have fun my man and be safe! You seem like a cool dude and wish I wasn't at work the next 3 weeks!

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Dakota/Talkeetna
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Thanks you guys, dont worry, I wont burn my money, worked too hard for it, and the magic bus...not this trip!
    Ive been up there enough working for my buddy at the Wiggy's store while he hunts, volunteering at Iditarod checkpoints, hunting trips a few years ago, I've seen a lot at 60 miles an hour. I just prefer a different vantage point when I've got enough time.
    Watch for a nitwit with a royal blue coat and a backpack!
    I'll be there in 12 hours!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •