Thread: Hunting with a new Dog

Default Hunting with a new Dog

Hey guys;

Looking for some help. I have a young dog that is is just learning the basics. She is ready for Marked retrieves but would feel uneasy with blinds especially if not in an area where I can go out and help. Here is the question.

Where can I go to get her some work. Thinking jump shooting is the best as it would be straight up marks and if she is unsuccessful I could go out and help her out. Spending some time reading and seems there is a slight problem with hunter courtesy. Just want a place to spend some time with my dog, get her some hunting experience, and heck maybe even kill a few. Thought about wanding down and just finding some areas but do not want to ruin a hunt ... time is precious and so are hunting days.

Thanks guys look forward to all the good discussion that takes place on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    Hey guys;

Looking for some help. I have a young dog that is is just learning the basics. She is ready for Marked retrieves but would feel uneasy with blinds especially if not in an area where I can go out and help. Here is the question.

Where can I go to get her some work. Thinking jump shooting is the best as it would be straight up marks and if she is unsuccessful I could go out and help her out. Spending some time reading and seems there is a slight problem with hunter courtesy. Just want a place to spend some time with my dog, get her some hunting experience, and heck maybe even kill a few. Thought about wanding down and just finding some areas but do not want to ruin a hunt ... time is precious and so are hunting days.

Thanks guys look forward to all the good discussion that takes place on this site.
    It would be easier to answer your question if you filled in your profile with your location. We don't know where you are located so our anwswers would not be very helpful.

MDH

Dont take this the wrong way brother...but issue with the dog needs to be handled first by applying the proper training program to establish that he knows exactly what you want from him and visa versa before you launch him out thinking you are doing blind work. Not sure what program you are using on your training tech..I would recommend you ensure he knows single marks, double marks, trips, The dog needs to know how to take a line before you start thinking of blinds...if he is past all this and is already taking whistle commands from you...(back,come,left and right..etc..casting at 50-100 yards etc) and will take a line after you send him out from Alaska to Texas before you stop him..then my bad..and sorry to waste your time....just wanted to make sure if you are serious about training and that the dog recieves the proper training before you expect him to know what he needs to know to respond to your request.

If you are looking for a place to hunt birds...I would recommend jump shooting the AWR, 20 mile or even the flats where you will be able to maybe see your dog once in awhile..
    have fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

In my reading between the lines, I don't think you have any idea about properly teaching blinds and handling. To do marks would be fine, but you need to start out in a park or ball field with dummies and a helper. The dog needs to be steady before you start in real hunt situations. A tragic way for a dog to die is being shot accidently because he jumped out in front of the gun in his excitement. None of us want that. When you are ready for birds, if you are now, I would start at Falcon Ridge Game Farm at Pt Mac. Go buy 5 phesants, live. Plant them as singles for your dog, then hunt the area with your dog. The birds will flush, and you shoot them. If the dog tries to chase, more important for you to keep the dog under control then to give him the reward of the bird, so the bird flys off. Expensive bird,but lesson learned. But live birds under a controlled situation are great for young dogs just learning. Keep a eye on the dog training forum, this spring, about Feb, they will announce free saturday seminars and training sessions, well worth while, put on by Alaska Working Ret Club, and Ret club of Alaska. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud, Great advice...seems our Waterfowling friend needs to get his hands on this book.

Water Dog by Richard Wolters.

This is the program we used for years to train with..great for the novice-expert trainer. Breaks everything down for him.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    In my reading between the lines, I don't think you have any idea about properly teaching blinds and handling. To do marks would be fine, but you need to start out in a park or ball field with dummies and a helper. The dog needs to be steady before you start in real hunt situations. A tragic way for a dog to die is being shot accidently because he jumped out in front of the gun in his excitement. None of us want that. When you are ready for birds, if you are now, I would start at Falcon Ridge Game Farm at Pt Mac. Go buy 5 phesants, live. Plant them as singles for your dog, then hunt the area with your dog. The birds will flush, and you shoot them. If the dog tries to chase, more important for you to keep the dog under control then to give him the reward of the bird, so the bird flys off. Expensive bird,but lesson learned. But live birds under a controlled situation are great for young dogs just learning. Keep a eye on the dog training forum, this spring, about Feb, they will announce free saturday seminars and training sessions, well worth while, put on by Alaska Working Ret Club, and Ret club of Alaska. Bud
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Sorry guys for the confusion, thought I made it clear that I would be uneasy with blinds in a hunting situation hence why I wanted to jump shoot some. She is very steady and has mark retrieves down pat. We are working on blind yard work and casting but just to early to put her in a hunt situation. I had her in the the yard the other day doing back, right left casting out to about 30-40 yards (that is as far as I feel comfortably with her at this time.) Just wanted her to get some work on marking down something other than already dead birds and dummies. Thanks for the advice and the areas to do some jump shooting. My main concern was being in an area where I would not be all over other hunters blind hunting and me messing that up jump shooting. The phesant idea is great , I will definately pay them a visit. As for the book got it -- first thing I purchased after purchasing the dog, actually have water dog and game dog... another of Wolters great reads. Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Also I am in the Anchorage/Eagle River area sorry about that.

Gary at falcon ridge,376 6714. He most likely still has and will sell birds and let you hunt. From what I hear he is trying to sell his land, subdeviding it and on market next year and will be no longer in business. He can show you how to plant the birds and make them dizy so as not to fly away until your dogs flushes them. Good luck, and sounds like your dog is well on his way to being a good, trained duck dog. Bud
    Wasilla

MH

Great job on book and training so far....I would honestly say it would not hurt him in any way to get him out in a hunting situation at this point. I think he would benefit from this. I know we would run started dogs in hunt test to help reinforce where they were at in the training program...as well as hunting situations....many of the dogs we worked with along with mine were always allowed to get out in a hunting situation as started dogs...I dont think it will hurt him or you... I understand your concern for being around other hunters..but dont see that being a problem here in Alaska..lol...great job, hit up the pheasant guy..might be fun.

Enjoy the book...make sure your buddy understands completely the level he is at before you move to the next...I would recommend going back a few steps to help reinforce it occasionally..

A very rewarding and satisfying experience to train them..have fun.