Thread: GPS/Depth finder recommendations

Default GPS/Depth finder recommendations

It looks like I'll be getting my boat before too long. I'll need some kind of navigation electronics, as well as fish and depth finder. Any recommendation on a single uint that does it all? I want something with maps for the rivers and close-in saltwater. It'll be a SportJon, so I won't be going very far out into the salt.

Two caveats, if you get a combo unit, if it goes out, you loose everything and have a more expensive repair.

The other thought is I don't think the folks that make the best gps units make the best sonar, and vice versa.

My mindset is more towards salt applications, so I can't say which would be better geared towards the rivers.

I'm planning on a furuno color fish finder, lots of power to get through the silt, and great resolution. As a buddy said, a killer fish finder is worth it's weight in gold.

I like separate units as well and not having to slpit the screen. I have a Furuno color sounder that works extremely well in both salt and rivers. I have a Garmin color GPS map with the Blue Chart that I am very happy with as well.

I have a Raytheon E 120 at my helm and for my unit on the back deck a E 80 the both runoff of the same coputer and both have cpabilities for a four split screen. It has sounder,plotter, radar, and is connected to sea talk(my radio) and can play my dvd to my screen too. When I was looking for electronics I wanted to get the newest technology like 3d mapping and 3d sonar, but I had to have something that was easy enough for my father to use (not from the computer age). I used to have simrad on my old boat, but is very hard to use if you don't use it on a regular basis. I didn't like the garmin sounder or radar and I wanted a complete set of one brand. I agree with paul that one brand doesn't make the best of every unit. I would go to a store a try all of the possible brands and see wich one is the most user freindley and wich one has the options you want. Good luck and take your time it's expensive
    Boatless

Lets see, we are talking about a river boat that doesn't particularly have a large dash so anything that will split the screen 4 ways I would say is out. For my uses which are similar to what you will be looking for I would insure that your unit has a high speed transducer. I chose an Eagle 480DF http://www.eaglegps.com/Products/Sonar/FishMark480.htm in which has smaller windows on the side that display voltage,speed etc if you are lacking other gauges. Setting the depth alarm at 2' is nice in unfamiliar areas on the river. For GPS I went with the Garmin 176C and the Bluechart software. Its not huge but much nicer than a handheld and the color display is nice. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap176C/ Color on the depthfinder would have been nice but I didn't particularly think it was worth an extra $100 at the time.

Sorry used to raytheon now it's Ray marine @ www.raymarine.com
    Boatless

I just got the garmin 492 chartplotter and I got mapsource topo also. A buddy of mine has the same thing and loves it. I havent had a chance to try it yet. Mapsource is great Ive been playing around on the computer with it.