Thread: Hardmouth, please help

Default Hardmouth, please help

I have a 10 year old chessie. Last year he developed hard mouth and my ducks are coming back to me with crushed bones. I have heard of wrapping his training bumpers with barbed wire so he has to hold them gingerly. Has this worked for anyone? Is there a better way to cure hard mouth. Honestly, he is slowing down and may not be hunting too much longer, but I would still enjoy being out with him. It would kill him to have him along and not get to retireve. Please lend advice.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

Definitely do not resort to the barbed wire deal you mentioned. Dog needs to go back to basics. Has he been force fetch trained?

Jim

Jim already asked, but was the dog ever force fetched and/or e-collar conditioned? What condition are his teeth in? Need more info, but have a now 8 year old rescue Chessie that started chomping birds last year. With Ben I went back & revisited "hold" and "fetch", first without the e-collar & then with it. He did not get nicked/nagged with the collar & timing the corrections right was effective. "Hold" mean just that -- not shaking or chomping on birds & he spit them out at times, but picked them up on "fetch". I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to pull the same crap down the road though!

Karen

he is e-collar conditioned but he has never been force fetched. I think this might have come about from the fact that the e-collar broke 2 years ago. I had one great year where he performed very well without it. Last year he figured out what he can get away with. Now I need to fix it. That is the collar and the hard mouth.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

Have you hunted this dog for the past ten years or is hunting for this dog fairly new. It would be odd for it all the sudden to pop up with a ten year positive hunting history. Not that it wouldn't.
    I'd have to ask about possible health issues just to eliminate it as a possibility. Dogs may clamp down when they aren't feeling well or are moody.
    Was this cold water related? This to can create clamping and freezing on a bird. I've seen a lot of this in goldens and chessies when over exposed to cold weather or water conditions.
    If none of the above...... Then a course of force fetch is way over due.

We are hunting southeast in December. He has hunted every year since he was 7 months old. Could be cold related, could be the new lack of an e-collar. All in all, I feel it is proabably due to the fact that he does not get hunted or worked nearly as much as he had been. Enough could, be...what he just needs is more time and more work.

Thanks all.

Please keep the forum posted, I am curious as to what you do to correct this, thanks!

There are lots of ifs and maybes that could have casued my dogs hard mouth. Now that I have had some time to think on it...he has a bit of a digging, rock carrying problem. This has whittled his teeth down to rounded stubbs. He may be having to clench birds hard to keep them in his mouth since his canines do not lock them in. I live in SE and the birds have not been plentiful just yet. We have been working in the yard with bumpers, but no real, soft birds for him to mouth. We will be in touch.

Thanks again for the helpful words.