Thread: DPMS Oracle 308 Review

Default DPMS Oracle 308 Review

Any personal reviews on the DPMS Oracle in 308. I ordered one on Friday and would like to get any positive or negative feedbacks on this rifle. Pricing was really good for this semi auto 308. It has a 16 barrel, a3 flat top and collapsable butt stock, forward assist, right ejection and dust cover. Total weight unloaded is 8.3 lbs which is not bad as I'll be using it mainly for hunting medium to large size game. Also what's the accuracy of this rifle at 100 or 200 yards. I've been told it should get 1moa.

Any information appreciated.
    Thanks

If it is the same rifle as the Remington R-25 ( which I assume it is, Because DPMS makes the R-25 for remington) I can say from personal experience with my R-25, and from reports in the shooting magazines that it should shoot at 1 moa with match ammo.
    The only problem I've had is that it has a weak hammer spring which may not fire (3 out of 4 for my rifle) military surplus 7.62 NATO ammo. The fix is a stonger hammer spring made by Wolf, found on DPMS' website. I have not installed mine yet, so have yet to see if it will work. I am optimistic. I saw a video on ytube demontrating the repalcement with this Wolf extra strong hammer spring. Theoretically this "fix" will cause the trigger pull to be heavier. Overall, I like the rifle.

after switching an AR 15 to a Timney drop in trigger I have a hard time imagining shooting one that wasn't so equipped. I am sure there are better triggers out there but it is super simple to drop in and made a world of difference in both my rifles. I have little doubt that the same would be true with their AR10 triggers and if there was a problem as Eastwoods mentions I would have a hard time not going that route. An AR10 of some sort is on my list of future purchases!

The DPMS will probably outshoot you, no offense intended but they shoot very well out of the box. I have the 16" .308 and it would shoot just under 1 m.o.a. right out of the box. My only complaint was the lawyer proof trigger. lots of companies make replacement triggers, single stage and two stage types. other than that it is a great weapon, and they have the best options for the money on the market right now.

Just picked up the rifle on Tuesday and it seems very rugged. Looks very nice too aside from the huge handguard. Although i did have a problem extracting ammo from the chamber. From what I hear, the bore is real tight so it's rather hard to do that. I was using 7.62 NATO round, but after testing(not firing) the 308 win rounds, it's seems to fit better. I have not yet fired the rifle but well do the break in during the weekend. I am carious to see the grouping. Though is it really necessary to do the break in per the manual? 1 round, then clean x5, then 5 round, then clean x5, then 10 rounds until 250 round. This procedure is rather time consuming and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee04 View Post
    I am carious to see the grouping.
    My LR-338 will shoot into one ragged hole with cold barrel if I take the same target back to the range day after day. Starting with a cold barrel my first five shots will go 3-4" at 100 yards, impact point move up and to the left as the barrel warms up. Once it is warm I get two inches at 100 yards, I am kinda finicky about my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee04
    Though is it really necessary to do the break in per the manual? 1 round, then clean x5, then 5 round, then clean x5, then 10 rounds until 250 round. This procedure is rather time consuming and expensive.
    I think it is probably more than absolutely required for most barrels, but represents the 95-99% ideal break in. I did that whole thing with my DPMS AR15, and I can shoot into 3/4" at 100 yards with it, but I have to seat the bullets too long to use the magazines. Two different smiths measured the leade as too short for 5.56, it gages as a .2263Rem chamber. I also repeated the same break-in rigamarole with my AR-10, group sizes above.

If you don't do it and have trouble staying inside three inches five years from now, whose fault is it? Take a cleaning rod and some patches to the range with you and get it over with is what I did. One patch, some oil, one pass, fire, repeat. You are just pulling out the charcoal and any large metal flakes between rounds is all, not polishing with the bronze brush and solvent.

FWIW Sako uses hammer forged barrells for many more $$$, the manual for those says no break in required.

Default Proper Barrel Break-In

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Lee04,

Look at your messages, I sent you a PM.

MyTime

I recently bought a DPMS Oracle in .308, and it functioned 100% first time out. I only shot 140 rounds. I used 150 and 165 gr ammo from three different manufacturers. I had expected only a 19-round capacity in the factory mags, based on what I had seen on the ErrorNet, but 20 rounds fit into my factory mags, and there were no malfs. Same with the Magpul PMags.

I did start the breakin procedure and I'm only about halfway through it. The coming weekend I'll shoot a few more mags worth and finish the breakin process.

The recoil is well beyond what my .223 AR-15 has, but that's expected.

The trigger isn't stellar (it's the typical 8.5 pounds as seen on other such rifles) but I look to my higher-end 1911s pistols for the sublime trigger experience. I don't find that a heavier trigger on a rifle affects my marksmanship the way it does on a pistol, but then I'm no master sniper or ninja rifleman, just your standard-issue ex Boy Scout and Army soldier who enjoys shooting. Maybe I'll spring for a Timney or Geiselle sometime down the road, but the factory trigger doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the rifle.

For now I'm using a 1x Bushnell optic that serves fine for the breakin period. Later I'll put on a Troy Gas Block front sight (the lower gas block-mounted mini-rail height is accounted for) and a rear sight. After zeroing in the irons, I'll get a scope that will facilitate longer range target shooting and hunting. And of course a sling is called for.

Seems like a terrific, versatile rifle for the money.

I have a DPMS LRT SASS. I have had major issues with the extractor breaking. Continually. Another guy I know runs a marksmanship training course for a company in the lower 48 and they bought 15 DPMS .308's and 8 of them had the same extractor issue as mine. DPMS has been replacing them but the problem still exists. I have been using hi quality ammo as well. My primary is Hornady Super Performance Match 168gr JHPBT and some Buffalo Bore Sniper Ammo 175gr. I also threw about 100 rds of the Hornady 155gr Match. I have had an extractor break using each of these ammo's. I would look into purchasing BCG from Armalite or the Enhanced BCG from DPMS. Other than that I easily shot Sub-MOA from 100 and a little over 2 MOA groups at 300m.

I also saw below that another member here was able to fit 20rds in the factory mags. They are 19 mags. They will fit 20 but arte made for 19. The magpul mags however are 20rd mags. Another tip is do not shoot any true 7.62x51mm ammo through it if your upper is not stamped for it. You see .308, shoot that only. Stay away from the German NATO 762.51mm. They are crap. I bought a battle pack of 200rds and 40-50 rounds were factory defects. Either the bullet itself was seated at a slight angle or the casings were heavily crimped at the throat right where the bullet sets. If you shoot 7.62 NATO out of it and its stamped for .308 DPMS will not fix anything. .308 are tested to SAAMI specifications which are for lower pressure tolerances and 7.62 NATO are not only a hotter load but the projectile itself is seated a few thousands more out of the casing than a conventional .308. You could end up with a lot of feeding issues. I had FTF's and double feeds routinely. Hope this helps.

British NATO 7.62x51 works fine in my Armalite AR-10 and shoots inside 2 MOA. I've heard of the same extractor problems on DPMS 308s but have had none on the real AR-10. I use mostly modified M-14 mags that will take 20 rounds with no problem. I haven't tried it yet but am tempted to build a .260 Rem upper but it would be awful heavy for a walk about gun so maybe that's a bad idea. Has anyone built one in .260 with a good quality barrel? Should make a great long range gun.

Good Luck with the DPMS .308!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAssasin View Post
    Another tip is do not shoot any true 7.62x51mm ammo through it if your upper is not stamped for it. You see .308, shoot that only.
    The guy who sold me the DPMS tried to hand me some 7.62x51mm ammo and I declined. I grabbed only .308.

[QUOTE=AKAssasin;1120530] Another tip is do not shoot any true 7.62x51mm ammo through it if your upper is not stamped for it. You see .308, shoot that only.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....... I installed the extra strength hammer spring and my Rem R-25 (DPMS) now goes bang with 7.62x51 ammo. Accuracy was around 2 MOA. I am pleased. I suppose I'll take your advise and won't make it a habit. Its just good to know it will work in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAssasin View Post
    I have a DPMS LRT SASS. I have had major issues with the extractor breaking. Continually. Another guy I know runs a marksmanship training course for a company in the lower 48 and they bought 15 DPMS .308's and 8 of them had the same extractor issue as mine. DPMS has been replacing them but the problem still exists. I have been using hi quality ammo as well. My primary is Hornady Super Performance Match 168gr JHPBT and some Buffalo Bore Sniper Ammo 175gr. I also threw about 100 rds of the Hornady 155gr Match. I have had an extractor break using each of these ammo's. I would look into purchasing BCG from Armalite or the Enhanced BCG from DPMS. Other than that I easily shot Sub-MOA from 100 and a little over 2 MOA groups at 300m.

I also saw below that another member here was able to fit 20rds in the factory mags. They are 19 mags. They will fit 20 but arte made for 19. The magpul mags however are 20rd mags. Another tip is do not shoot any true 7.62x51mm ammo through it if your upper is not stamped for it. You see .308, shoot that only. Stay away from the German NATO 762.51mm. They are crap. I bought a battle pack of 200rds and 40-50 rounds were factory defects. Either the bullet itself was seated at a slight angle or the casings were heavily crimped at the throat right where the bullet sets. If you shoot 7.62 NATO out of it and its stamped for .308 DPMS will not fix anything. .308 are tested to SAAMI specifications which are for lower pressure tolerances and 7.62 NATO are not only a hotter load but the projectile itself is seated a few thousands more out of the casing than a conventional .308. You could end up with a lot of feeding issues. I had FTF's and double feeds routinely. Hope this helps.
    308's are hotter than 7.62X 51's. The opposite is true with 223 Remington and 5.56mm. How would DPMS know that you shot 7.62X 51 through your gun? The German DAG ammo are very good ammo, just do a Google search and see the reviews. My 308 Bushmaster will shoot that German stuff close to MOA.