Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose, who else got skunked??

Default Moose, who else got skunked??

Hunted locally here in the valley. Even though I saw about ten moose every time I went out, not one legal one appeared before my sights. Saw a lot of small bulls and a lot of cows but nothing where I could pull the trigger.
    How many others out there did this happen to? I guess misery loves company when it comes to putting meat in the freezer!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I loved being outdoors and seeing any animals but it sure would have been nice to show something for it besides memories!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I went to Petersville. It was way overhunted. Didnt even see any bears, cows or even signs of them. Hell some guys in a military track vehicle got skunked.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Right there with ya whop. While it's easy to rationalize that "just being out there is reward enough", after a while, that saying just doesn't mean as much.

Petersville was void of wildlife last I saw on 9/24 except a few grouse. I got skunked on the Denali highway although only hunted one day due to swamping one of the wheelers in a river crossing. 7 years and counting although this is our first year with the ATV's

I have heard of 6 moose taken out of about 40 hunters. I almost got one the second day of opening but was beaten out by another hunter within minutes literally. Killed some small game to feed the hunger.

Went 0-fer this year too. Found two big boys Aug. 31, but they were GONE Sept. 1! Saw other bulls, they weren't legal. We did get a caribou though.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Petersville was void of wildlife last I saw on 9/24 except a few grouse. I got skunked on the Denali highway although only hunted one day due to swamping one of the wheelers in a river crossing. 7 years and counting although this is our first year with the ATV's
    I hear ya. Haven't pulled the trigger on a big game critter for 4 years...and haven't killed a moose for 9 years, but not for lack of trying.

Skunked so far, but with my wife's cow hunt coming up I hope to turn my luck around. Certainly down from the 4-5 moose average I have been in on the past 4 years. Hope to atleast get in on two moose kills this year yet....we'll see. Too much time playing in the mountains and not enough time where the moose hangout, but you can't be everywhere at once.

I was skunked on moose - only saw one lone cow in 4 days afield - but I'll admit I wasn't trying very hard. I certainly expected to see more than I did, but after putting a caribou and two deer in the freezer early in the season, I wasn't feeling too pressured to put a moose down as well. I've got some ideas for next year, but didn't make the time to give it a real go this year. The moose spots I chose were primarily picked due to their multi-species potential, so that would in part explain my lack of sightings. I guess being at 4,000'+ doesn't increase my chances of scoring on a moose. What can I say? I prefer the mountains.

Im also getting real tired of hearing of households taking 2-3 moose and giving away most of the meat. I wish the regs would go to one moose per household

Saw 7 cows Friday night in an area I know houses lots of moose. My only loss over the past few years has been the ability to commit a week or so in the field at one time. Too many adult-like responsibilities around the house.

I spent last weekend in Petersville and shared almost 12 miles of trail with no one until Sunday when a group of hunters came in to a regular spot. Had 2 bulls grunting but refused to show themselves.

Next year will be different that's for sure, weekend warrior status is gettin deleted!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by AKmuscle49 View Post
    Im also getting real tired of hearing of households taking 2-3 moose and giving away most of the meat. I wish the regs would go to one moose per household
    That doesn't bother me...unless they are hunting the same area as I do!

We hunted the Denali for caribou, so I personally hunted there for moose as well. I was totally unfamiliar with that country and regret not having done more research re: moose hunting there. We saw no moose in unit 13 that were harvestable, so I went up on the Steese with my son-in-law for as his packer. We saw no moose at all there, even though we had heard good reports and we hunted morning noon and night. We camped in one pull-out and a guy drove up to brag on the big bull that he had gotten right there by our camp just the day before. Hmph...

I didn't even offer myself as gutter/packer down here on the peninsula.

No moose again this year. I spent a week in the valley during the bow season and saw several cows and one fork bull. Unfortunately, I was back at camp after having hunted that morning and was cooking breakfast. Needless to say, he spotted me before I spotted him, and even more unfortunately, he was the most skittish of the moose I saw and high-tailed it outta there pretty quick. I also spent the last three days of the season this past weekend out in the same area. Had a cow at about 100 yards, and another at about 60 yards. I had two more moose coming to calls before shooting light. I could see them at about 350-400 yards, but could not tell whether there was a bull there or not because I did not have enough light yet. They were coming in along the trees, then at some point started picking up the pace. Then they just started running - and unfortunately, headed the other direction. I couldn't tell if they picked up my scent or what happened. Then, less than a minute later, two atv's were coming up the trail near where they were. Duh!!!

Other than the final day of the season - yesterday - I think I saw at least one moose every single day I was out, multiple moose on many of those days. But that forkie was the only legal one I saw.

Now the predicament - to put in for the guaranteed Tier caribou tag for next year, or go for the low odd, valley cow draw tags?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I too was skunked this year. I put in plenty of time and tried quite a few different places (Petersville, Talkeetna, Big Lake, Pt. Mackenzie, Little Su) trying to get my first moose but not much luck. I saw lots of cows and calves (maybe a good sign for years to come) but nothing as far as bulls. I did hear some bull grunting and thrashing in one area but he never showed himself; otherwise, the calling didn't show much success.

Looks like I need to start doing some more research for next year and scouting out different areas. I definitely enjoy the moose hunting experience but want that overall prize so bad. Does anybody go out and practice their calling a few weeks after hunting season when the rut starts to peak?

I spent all my vacation chasing sheep so not much effort on moose this year. I went out a few times and had some fun but no legal bulls. Thinking next year I may do a short Sheep trip close to home and save the vacation for a real go at moose.

God knows we tried! Could have put the hurt on one big ole monster...problem was getting him back to camp 3+ miles by foot through some nasty nasty stuff out in the middle of absolutely nowhere.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Nothing here either. Didn't hunt real hard until yesterday out in Pt. Mac area. Got in the tree stand at 8am and started calling. I told myself at 6:30 I'm gonna pack up the stand and call it a season (you know how you start talking to yourself after being alone for awhile) when I finally got some replies to my calling. The prospective moose and I started talking a little and then I didn't hear anything until about 6:15. It sounded like a bulldozer coming through the trees. He came in from behind me in pretty thick black spruce. I was pretty excited and couldn't hear or see him, so I started glassing between the small spaces in the trees and finally saw some antlers pass by about 75 feet away. I'm not a very patient person so when I saw him I jumped out of the stand and was about to go after him, but I couldn't see for sh*t. So, I ran back up the stand and threw out some calls. I heard him leaving through the trees and had to chase. I skirted the trees and let out a couple cow calls, but he was gone. He came in on me down wind, so I'm thinking that must be why he didn't respond to anymore calls and hauled ass. It was definitely fun and very exciting. I never did see how big he was, but the piece of antler I caught a glimpse of was thick looking. This was my first time calling from a stand and now I'm a big believer in late season calling.

Word from a local taxi is that the moose have been rolling in this year, at least the trophy quality seems to be there, not sure about numbers. As for me, skunked after 5 days afield in the heart of 13 and only seeing 1 cow. All tactics tried, countless hours of glassing and miles on foot, not for a lack of effort! The vast expanses of spruce flats really didn't help, not the greatest of habitat. A good long scouting trip would have paid dividends but do you take A/L to scout in the summer and therefore cut your hunt shorter in the fall or put all your eggs in that fall hunting basket??? No complaints here though, in my first year as a resident I've been blessed with other animals and opportunities than just moose.

TD, doesn't that just kill you?? I remember hunting above Minto and seeing massive bulls but they were in such horrible places to put one down in and miles away. You could see their massive antlers from 3 miles away!!! It is at least nice to know that I'm not the only one who misses having moose in the freezer. Might have to form a co-op and get on the roadkill list. Anybody want in from the valley??
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast