Thread: Taking the kids out this weekend......

Default Taking the kids out this weekend......

Taking my kids out this weekend to do some fishing/camping. Any suggestions on a safe lake up in the Parks Highway country for the canoe. Will be our 1st time up there. I want them to get thier first grayling. We are going to try the streams up that way, but with the weather, I was thinking that the fish may have migrated out to the bigger rivers. Just trying to figure things out. My kids are 8 to 13 years old. Just want to give them a weekend to remember.......

If you want to catch Grayling, then Canoe Lake is a good spot. Long lake has decent catch and release Rainbow fishing in the Kepler Bradley Lakes area. Actually, all the lakes in this area is fun to fish from a canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Taking my kids out this weekend to do some fishing/camping. Any suggestions on a safe lake up in the Parks Highway country for the canoe. Will be our 1st time up there. I want them to get thier first grayling. We are going to try the streams up that way, but with the weather, I was thinking that the fish may have migrated out to the bigger rivers. Just trying to figure things out. My kids are 8 to 13 years old. Just want to give them a weekend to remember.......

Default Canoed and kids . .

outrider,

Some years ago I purchased a set of canoe outriggers from, I think, this outfit:
    http://www.castlecraft.org//stabilizers.htm
    but there are others available if you Google "canoe outriggers."

Had tried to buy the set advertised in Cabela's at the time, but they wouldn't ship to Alaska. As noted, ended up buying direct from the manufacturer. No problems. The outriggers, when installed, made the canoe virtually un-tippable and perfectly safe. Gave it to our daughter and son-in-law who have three little boys.

Good on you for taking the kids fishing . . some of my most poignant memories are of fishing with my dad over 60 years ago.

Have fun . . .

Attachment 53366

outrider
    Long time ago I took my then 10 year old daughter to a lake about mile 200 of the parks. It sits across the railroad tracks on the right side heading north. Great Grayling fishing and awesome views of McKinley. We trolled wet flies and had a ball.
    Enjoy the kids they grow up fast.