Thread: Black Bear at Bird Creek?

Default Black Bear at Bird Creek?

I'd like to do a Black Bear hunt and have been told Bird Creek is a good Black Bear area. Any thoughts?

Lots of browns

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have seen some black bears in there but usually higher up on the hillsides. But far more brownies.

My parents live in Indian and they have had black bears in there yard every day this week. There are alot of black bears in the Indian area, as well as browns

I would agree with the others. When I went black bear hunting up there I saw severals Browns, but now Blacks. After that I looker for a better spot.

Riding around at bird creek didn't see any blackies but did manage to get charged by a brownie. I agree more brownies there then black bears.

The black bears that are there are probably higher up. Did pass on a black bear on Indian side of bird ridge due to size.

Them black spot you see on the west ridge are brown bear that are very dark.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Remember, you have to be 1/2 mile from the Seward highway to discharge a firearm.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

hunted sheep up ship/bird area, saw one black in a weeks time. Lots of sign, nothing tried to eat my sheep meat while hangin. You should get above the tree line to glass.

Does that apply to the whole Seward or certain milepost sections?

It applies to the Seward Hwy only where it borders the Chugach State Park... So from Falls Creek'ish area down to Girdwood.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Remember, you have to be 1/2 mile from the Seward highway to discharge a firearm.
    I found no mention of this in the F & G regs. Is this regulated by the park system?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I found no mention of this in the F & G regs. Is this regulated by the park system?
    Never mind. Found it: here

Guns and other weapons may be carried for self protection. Target practice is forbidden in the park. During legal hunting seasons (limited seasons, limited areas), discharge of weapons is not allowed within one half mile of any campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility, or any roadway in the park including the Seward Highway. 11 AAC 20.010
    It sure would be nice if F & G would cross reference these types of things with the park. I know it is the hunter's responsibility and I am dreaming, but it would be nice.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.