Thread: Deshka water level?

Default Deshka water level?

So, how low is the water on the Deshka. Thinking about going next week on a recon mission. Maybe thursday/friday. Hopefully there is enough water to get through the rock garden unscathed...
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Water is not that bad really! The lower the better on the desh. the channels are forced full now and most all rocks are exposed all the way to Neil was good..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks! I was up there the end of September last year, so Im expecting some low water. Ive never seen the rock garden quite as bad as the photo Toshiro posted in July...I guess there is only one way to find out...

If you can get past the first 5 or 6 miles than you should be able to run a ways. Pretty skinny on the lower end as of Friday night. Rock garden will be the least of your worries as those are exposed and easy to avoid....it's the big ones an inch below the surface that "suprise" you 'cause the waters slow and they barely make a ripple on the surface to indicate what lies below.
    BK

Cool...I shouldn't have any issues then...If I do....it will probably be on video

c-bolt,

Did you end up making a run up the Deshka? Curious about what you found.

Thanks

Must of been a pretty easy trip with no video being posted... I'll have a report on Saturday night I'll be running up past the Rock garden a few miles Friday afternoon. Than up the yentna for Saturday and Sunday...

Water was coming up last night...first couple miles were skinny, then it gets better.
    Didn't see anyone all weekend come up the deshka though....
    BK

Well, we went up just fine...but coming down into the sun was a different story. There is plenty of water...when you can see the channel, its just those moments of blindness that really get you into trouble

Ive got it on video, but it will take a bit to edit. Im not very good at that part of it.

I will say, the boat is pretty heavy when it sits in an inch of water. There was one good samaritan that helped us. Thank god for him.
    You sure cant go very far with a high lift. The bottom was soft enough that the rope-a-long didn't really help that much. Ive got to get a snatch block and a pull pal for sure...maybe a winch too...

Forget the pull pal. Get a 5" tunnel 16 footer with a 40hp Yamaha four stroke for the low water times. Works real good. You can go by yourself and the most you have to carry is a couple of lenghts of small PVC pipe and your acing it! Of course theres no roof over your head but hey, fall air is good for ya!

I always love it when you can step out of the boat and not even cover your shoes! We all suffer from that blind in the direct sun effect from tine to time..... ..... Don't feel bad I pulled a similar move last weekend and there was not a drop of water anywhere but about 15' behind the boat! Did not get any pictures though had forgot the camera and phone at the cabin

Check out the Portawinch at A.I.H its the only way to go! Little bit on the expensive side but worth it.. It will yard my 21' with a 1500 load and full fuel "100 gal" around like it's a john boat even on super suction silt.

[QUOTE=Yentna_rat;1016740]Check out the Portawinch at A.I.H its the only way to go! Little bit on the expensive side but worth it.. It will yard my 21' with a 1500 load and full fuel "100 gal" around like it's a john boat even on super suction silt.

Any idea in terms of feet per minute on that portawinch?

not sure...but I bet its better than a hi-lift jack!...hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Well, we went up just fine...but coming down into the sun was a different story. There is plenty of water...when you can see the channel, its just those moments of blindness that really get you into trouble

Ive got it on video, but it will take a bit to edit. Im not very good at that part of it.

I will say, the boat is pretty heavy when it sits in an inch of water. There was one good samaritan that helped us. Thank god for him.
    You sure cant go very far with a high lift. The bottom was soft enough that the rope-a-long didn't really help that much. Ive got to get a snatch block and a pull pal for sure...maybe a winch too...
    I watched HCL pull his boat to deeper water on the Alexander using this Honda winch made by Simpson winch ( a company out of Oregon) I bought one as soon as they could ship it. Seeing the winch in action convinced me I needed to spend da money (http://www.capstanropewinch.com/ )

hondawinch.jpg

[QUOTE=Garyak;1018426]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yentna_rat View Post
    Check out the Portawinch at A.I.H its the only way to go! Little bit on the expensive side but worth it.. It will yard my 21' with a 1500 load and full fuel "100 gal" around like it's a john boat even on super suction silt.

Any idea in terms of feet per minute on that portawinch?
    As far as feet per minute that all depends on how heavy of a boat your pulling and if your double or triple blocked .. I would say with mine it is around 10' a minute on gravel now on silt it's prolly around half that. It all depends on the stuck situation your in but even if it's a foot every 10 minutes it's better than a rope-along or pushing or any other method I have found

Does anyone have a report on the Deshka landing boat launch. Planning on heading out tomorrow. Is it ice free

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    Does anyone have a report on the Deshka landing boat launch. Planning on heading out tomorrow. Is it ice free
    according to their web site it's still do-able with about 12" of water...