Thread: Wooldridge Alaskan XL Winter Cover Ideas

Default Wooldridge Alaskan XL Winter Cover Ideas

Ok folks its that time of year...how does everyone cover their boats

Looking for ideas of what is best to spend my money on...

I can't see a reason to cover your boat unless you store it in a coastal town that is capable of getting huge dumps of snow one time. I live in the valley and will shovel of the boat if there is a foot or more of snow, just to keep the weight off the trailer. An open skiff like a Wooldridge, you may want to cover your upholstery just to keep the sun from damaging it. My opinion of course, maybe someone will give reasons I'm not aware of to cover the boat.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

On my XL I built a simple tripod out of 2x4 about windshield height and placed it in the stern, ran a pair of 16' 2x4 as a ridge beam between it and the windshield, bungee the front of it to the vertical OSG, and draped a 16x20 tarp over it all and ratchet strap underneath the whole shebang. If you leave the tail out long enough over the outboard it'll keep it covered as well. I've used this system for 3 years now and works great - best thing is with it being open in the back, you can send the kids into the tent in Feb to find your GPS, tools, etc w/o having to unwrap it all =)

XL

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    My opinion of course, maybe someone will give reasons I'm not aware of to cover the boat.
    I would cover any boat that was not self bailing. I would be concerned with the freezing and thawing causing damage below the deck when it expands. I suppose leaving the plug out would solve this issue, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Here's the set-up that came with my boat when I bought it last winter from Snowwolfe. Similar to Alaskan XL's description...but just flat plywood bases for the two uprights (only one visible in this pic). It's very stable with the ratchet straps and the cording tied every few feet helps give the tarp a little extra support and prevents sagging. It doesn't really accumulate much of a snow load, and the little that does build up slides right off with a few taps on the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images