Thread: NOAA weather report

Default NOAA weather report

NOAA weather has been a puzzler lately in PWS; they canít seem to get it together. Last weekend things looked good right up until Friday morning, this is understandable but then the weather seemed to moderate 24 hours later but too late for us.
    This weekend it was even more confusing in that their predictions changed course dramatically every 12 hours. Friday morning 2 foot seas until Sunday than building to 3 foot, we were ready to go. Friday night their prediction changed to 4 foot seas for Saturday and Sunday, same thing Saturday morning when we planned on going out. Today (Sunday) itís now 2 feet or less, what gives???

I have to wonder if NOAA just takes a brake or is short staffed this time of year because they really donít seem to have it together weather wise.
    I look at buoy data and web cams along with current NOAA weather; I just think they could do a better job given the current technology available.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Some times you just have to go look at it for your self! I have been working out here in the sound for the last two weeks and NOAA has hit it right most of the time. Only two or three days you could not have gone any where you wanted with your boat.The sea state changes have been fast Like from 2ft to 4ft plus in less than 2 hrs. Wish you the best of luck but, in the fall it is nine to be on a big heavy boat!

Today was epic, went about 80 miles goofing off and looking at places I had never been. Did the Esther Island passage and then over to Culross bay and back to Whittier. Slight beeeze in the around noon and coming out of the South end of the passage but after that.. .smooth like glass.

I know what your saying about the NOAA forecast.. I think this fall the weather has been really strange anyway. Seems to me lots of big wind and big waves
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think I figured it out a little this summer. Forecast said 4 ft seas. Head out and it's glass smooth but I see the sea lions rocking the crap out of the bouys. That made me wonder if they are the ones giving the false reports of higher seas..... Sort of makes sense right? Obviously if the weather front matches the seas, then it's gonna be close to true, but clear skies and bigger seas with no wind????? I say it's the sea lions playing with us more often than not.....

I've been impressed w/ the accuracy of the NOAA forecasts this season. Sometimes theres local conditions w/ tides/currents and squalls that are tough to predict but otherwise they've been accurate even the long term outlook.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I think I figured it out a little this summer. Forecast said 4 ft seas. Head out and it's glass smooth but I see the sea lions rocking the crap out of the bouys. That made me wonder if they are the ones giving the false reports of higher seas..... Sort of makes sense right? Obviously if the weather front matches the seas, then it's gonna be close to true, but clear skies and bigger seas with no wind????? I say it's the sea lions playing with us more often than not.....
    I would imagine that the way the buoys measure wave height is in an up-and-down motion, not side to side.

Smile

You would think that the Sea Lions would be better a predicting the weather since they are out in it all day!

Very true, but have you watched how much they move that bouy when they got on and off? Could be possible I guess.