Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was your year?

Default How was your year?

I had a great summer. Looking back i just cant wait to do it all over again. The Halibut we hit this year were a tad bit bigger than years past. We released one about 125 or so. The circle hook had her in the corner of the mouth and one quick push on the hook and she was free! We fish out of Homer. We missed the silvers in the salt but that was OK. We hit more cod that i thought existed in AK LOL. A first for us wound up being a triple. We hit 3 octopus this summer. They were about 6ft across. Cleaning them was a hoot. Kind of like cleaning a big bowl of snot lol. Reds on the Kenai were unreal. I dont think it could get any better ever. They were very nice sized this year. All in all it could not have gotten any better. How did you do? Lets hear it!

Didnt get a King, but killed it with Silvers this year!

Didn't even try for kings. They need all the help they can get, so I figure I don't need to kill any.

Got lots of halibut early...Mid-May and June. We killed them. Had a blast.

Lots of PU reds. Hit one of the epic days on the Kenai and we fished to our limits easily in one day.

Struck out on the local and valley silvers, but hit them pretty good on my second trip to Valdez, which made up for the very slow first trip to Valdez.

All in all, it was a good summer of fishing. Two full freezers. Enough halibut to maybe last all winter, which never happens.

Started out with me and my roommate together getting 50 pu reds during a supplemental period on the Chitna (canned some, vacume packed and froze the rest). Later me and my girlfriend went to Valdez for the 4th and got 27 pinks that we smoked and canned and finished off with 19 more silvers for me and my girl in Valdez on Labor day that we mostly canned.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Had a great catching and releasing season. Did good on size too...trolled up a 30# King in Seward, pulled a 130# halibut in PWS, and also a couple 50# lings from PWS. Overall, probably released 300+ halibut. Caught more cod than was needed...lots of rock fish too. Gonna hit Homer this coming weekend as the last salt run. Gonna be a long winter for me.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

One of the best king years I've seen. Crazy amount of kings.

This picture defines why this season on the salt was my best ever. We didn't spend more than two nights in a row at home all summer, and a bit of that time outdoors was spent with my family on the Sound. Helping my boy catch his first (and 2nd...and 3rd...etc) fish was more fun than I could have imagined.

Brian that's one of the best fishing photos of the year!

Disappointing in one aspect and good in another. I bought a new boat last year and sold my other boat this spring. Problem was the new boat was not ready for the water. I had to drop 2 engines in it. The good thing is, I got it done and the boat is running good. The bad part was, I was only able to make one fishing trip down to Homer, and the one day we went was pretty crappy, 2 seasick kids. However, next year is looking really promising, isn't it always?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Every weekend had been an adventure from Denali to Tok Covered some great country, pack rafted amazing rivers. 30+ days in a tent. Blessed with an amazing outdoor partner who's spirit is just as wild as mine. Filled the freezer with fish, back to back 40# kings, first Kenai kings for both of us.

Ready for Kodiak goats and 2012 float for moose.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

This year was a fun year, but I wish it I would have had a few more outings. Hunting Season blends right into good Silver and last minute shrimping, but hunting always seems to pull me in its direction. Hunting Season was a major !!! Did OK in shrimping this year but numbers were way low to last year. Since they were low, I only went out one, four day excursion during Memorial Day Weekend. We had an awesome rockfish and Yelloweye year. I found a hole by accident that produced 8 Yelloweye in the 14-25 pound range. The 25 pounder was weighed in about 9 hours after the catch and it had already spewed out over a quart of eggs. I had another that was 20 pounds. Didn't do so well with Lings this year as I would have liked. Mostly catch and release. All the big ones I caught were in mid June in which we had to release and by the time July went around, I got out later in the month and most of the holes I fish had been picked of the hogs. ( Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it). LOL Halibut was fun this year. The size was small, but I don't mind catching chickens. PU reds were amazing and Silvers in July was OK. I really wish I had spent more time on silvers but got blown off the water a few days I was planning to hit them. Did exceptionally well on Tanners but really only fished 2 days. Got my fill and turned loose way too many keepers that I wish could have come home with me. I really wanted some little necks this year, but weather (seas) prevented me from partaking on the only 3 days of minus tide days I had available. Over all, it was a successful year, but like I said, I wish I had more days to play on the water. I wish I could go out in October for a last minute Halibut attempt and drop a crab pot for King Crab in PWS in conjunction with a deer hunt, but I'm gonna make an east coast run and visit family instead which is long overdue.

Right after a June 4 wedding, I got to spend four days north of Dillingham on a one-person honeymoon, lots of grayling, some bows, and still a few big pike in some of my favorite holes. Had great weather and camping and hardly a soul around. Kings on the Nushagak started slow but then rolled hard for nearly three weeks. Took the wife out and she boated 10+ a day on several days and she likely broke 20 on the second to last day we went....I just drank beer and netted fish, she was unstoppable. Nice thing on the kings was the average size toward the end was waaay up. We caught several fish that taped at 44 inches which for the Nush is a pretty darn nice fish, and even better when there were 6 of them in the same day. July found me in Juneau meeting my new boss (we fly out to move for good on Friday) who took us out for halibut and crab on a gorgeous day. Silvers were short-lived but intense here in DLG but had some fun. Snuck in a moose hunt and got a 53 incher and on our last trip before putting up the boat my wife dry flied at least ten grayling and rainbows in less than an hour during a trip this Saturday. A whirlwind of a year but a good one when i take the time to remember. Looking forward to next year and all the new things to do in SE. (and maybe a little deer hunting this fall...but freezer is kinda full)

One of my best years EVER! I have lived pretty much in Alaska since 1971 so its a GREAT year when I can say "first time" or "most", etc after being a fihsing nut for so many years here in Alaska.

The reasons:

Started open water season earliest ever (March 27, kayaking for rockfish in Whittier).
    First ever shrimp pulled from my own vessel (kayak April 15, 5 dozen)
    2 saltwater Kings from a Yak.
    A Kenai River King the only time I tried with a charter.
    More halibut than ever from my personal boat/yak though size was small.
    Great Halibut Ling charter that filled my freezers.
    Over 50 silvers landed and 30 kept from a Yak.
    Kenai Reds were INSANE!
    First time fishing out of Valdez!

I LOST 35 POUNDS!!!!!!

And perhaps the best part...I am STILL FISHING! Year is hopefully nowhere near over...even the open water variety!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    One of my best years EVER! I have lived pretty much in Alaska since 1971 so its a GREAT year when I can say "first time" or "most", etc after being a fihsing nut for so many years here in Alaska.

The reasons:

Started open water season earliest ever (March 27, kayaking for rockfish in Whittier).
    First ever shrimp pulled from my own vessel (kayak April 15, 5 dozen)
    2 saltwater Kings from a Yak.
    A Kenai River King the only time I tried with a charter.
    More halibut than ever from my personal boat/yak though size was small.
    Great Halibut Ling charter that filled my freezers.
    Over 50 silvers landed and 30 kept from a Yak.
    Kenai Reds were INSANE!
    First time fishing out of Valdez!

I LOST 35 POUNDS!!!!!!

And perhaps the best part...I am STILL FISHING! Year is hopefully nowhere near over...even the open water variety!
    Really enjoyed following your write-ups. You must have fished about every weekend. Maybe we`ll see ya in Homer this weekend.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

IMG_4349.jpgNO MECHANICAL!! Boat ran like a top all year! Silvers in Seward and PWS. More than last year but spotty. My buddy landed a 15# coho off my boat, and my brother had on our first saltwater King. Enough shrimp for once a week all winter!! Hope everyone was smiling as big as me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Really enjoyed following your write-ups. You must have fished about every weekend. Maybe we`ll see ya in Homer this weekend.
    Thanks! I think I came close! It used to be that way if you look back at my old fishing logs. Now it is again due to some serious overhauling of my life the past few years. I can't believe how ridiculously blessed I am at having the knack/luck/whatever for turning lemons into lemonade. The Stones once sang something along the lines of : "You can't always get what ya want...but if ya try sometime, you just might find...you get what ya need!" Ain't THAT the TRUTH!

NE 15kts 3ft in Homer Sat! That's inviting for sure! Off to Seattle tomorrow, should be back in time for a trip out!

Fantastic Summer. This is the first year I have had my own boat and I enjoyed it to the max. We have about 30 lbs of shrimp in the freezer, 100 lbs of slivers and 20 lbs of Halibut (but have access to much more). Both my little boys caught slivers this year, with a little help from Mom and Dad. The best part is just like Kardinal_84, I am not done. I don't plan to put my boat away this fall. Still going to try my hand at deer hunting in PWS (I am a rookie deer and large game hunter, wish me luck) and I want to spend a couple nights in PWS this winter just goofing off. Then come March I hope to do the winter King Tourney in Homer.

The bad, my boat was down for a month this summer, self inflicted error on my part and it will not happen again. I also missed fishing in the small rivers (Deep Creek, Ninilchik) for Kings and Silvers. First time since I can remember that I have not at least caught one fish in those rivers.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Brian that's one of the best fishing photos of the year!
    You should submit that pic for the sportfish regulation cover contest.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    You should submit that pic for the sportfish regulation cover contest.
    Absolutely! That is perfect!

I submitted one Last year for the cover and they are going to put it on the annual survey. Kids are super excited which makes it worthwhile.

Default 2011... Excellent!

The year went great for my wife and I fishing in PWS thanks to your friends who take us out often. We actually did so well we had to add a freezer for all the halibut, shrimps, silvers, and reds. Dip netting went well and got a lot of reds for smoking, steaks, jerky (thanks to our friends), fillets. Some pictures of a successful and amazing summer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast