Thread: Help! New Scope WAAAAY too low....

Default Help! New Scope WAAAAY too low....

I just bought a new Bushnell scope and mounted it on my .300 Win Mag (I was replacing a Leupold, which was dead-on at 100 yards at the time). The rifle shot great before changing the scope. I went to sight in yesterday, and the rifle was way to low (like 12" low at 25 yards). I was able to adjust it as high as it would go, but I'm still about 5" low at 100 yards. I'm not sure if it's the scope or something that happened on the mounts. Both mount were in good shape, and the mounts were not adjusted between scope mounts. What kinds of things should I be looking for in fixing this problem.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks guys,

Put the other scope back on?

First make sure the front bell of the scope isn't touching the barrel. What generally is the case when a scope runs out of upward adjustment is that instead of being parallel to the bore the scope is sitting on the rifle at an upward sloping angle. If that all makes any sense to you, I just got up. If everything is installed and mounted correctly then you are going to have to shim either your base or your scope tube, up in the rear will bring POI up, and it doesn't take alot of material to move it quite abit.

Btw I would be happy to take the old Leupold of your hands, wouldn't want it to gather any dust in your closet

The other two have been hinting around at this so I will just come out and ask.

Why in the world did you take a perfectly good and well sighted in Leupold off your rifle and replace it with a Bushnell?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    the other two have been hinting around at this so i will just come out and ask.

Why in the world did you take a perfectly good and well sighted in leupold off your rifle and replace it with a bushnell?
    +1 gulp!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    The other two have been hinting around at this so I will just come out and ask.

Why in the world did you take a perfectly good and well sighted in Leupold off your rifle and replace it with a Bushnell?
    Because using a Bushnell makes it more fair to the animals...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1Cor15:19 - now that really was funny - and probably true!!!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    First post nails it.

Default Big fan of the Bushnell Rainguard

Everybody loves their Leupolds, but I'm actually happier with my Bushnell on a different rifle than I am with the Leupold. I hunt Southeast in the thick fog, rain and sleet, and the Leupolds don't resist fogging as well as the Bushnell with Rainguard in my experience. Side by side in those conditions I can see far better and clearer through my Bushnell, so I ordered another one to replace it.

I went back to the range, and the new Bushnell was all over the board 5" high, then 4" low. I would think it was mounted poorly, so re-mounted it all over again, same problem.

Back to the drawing board...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Me too. I love my Bushnell rifle scopes.

They're cheaper and clearer, and have better features, than any Leupold I've tried. (VX IIs)

2 Trophys, 2 Legends, and 1 Elite 3200, with the Rainguard.

Shimming under the scope base, isn't always a good idea. That can leave a space to collect debri.

I suggest you take it to Stan Jackson. He machined the bases for me to correct a problem similar to yours.

I was using Weaver Style bases and mounts. Now, I can, and have mounted other scopes with Weaver Style rings.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I did not ask my question to push the Leupold brand, even though I own a bunch of them, or run down the Bushnell brand. I was genuinely curious as to why the change was made. Or not made back after the problems.

To expound on what Smitty just said, I am disappointed with the Leupold VX-3 line. I have two of them, a 2.5-8 and a 1.75-6, and neither is as bright or clear as the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 line. My old VX-2 and Vari-x 2 are far clearer and brighter than the new model.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

+1 THERE.
    Just turn the Bushnell upside down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post

HHHHAAAAA, thats funny stuff green sourdough.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Shimming under the scope base, isn't always a good idea. That can leave a space to collect debri.
    Good point, but even un-shimmed water can work under a base mount and start the rusting, especially saltwater. Easy fix for me is to warm some beeswax and smear it around where the bases meet the action. Looks like heck, but works great and cleans off later.

Because of that habit, I've never worried about shims. I use the base for a pattern and mark them out on a sheet cut from aluminum pop cans. Used to use brass, but the aluminum works as well, is easier to find, and is sure a lot easier to work with.

Machining is a more "elegant" solution and looks better, but at extra cost. I'd still beeswax those bases if you're going to be around the salt, though.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good info BB:

As usual.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Shimming a scope mount is rather easy if you have shim material. I had to do it but have several times. It is generally because of dimensional problems with the gun, not so much with the scope. Sometimes the mounts. Putting a coating of oil or a rust preventative wax on the bases and shims is a good idea.

This is an odd case with old proven mounts not working with new scope, but 12" @ 25 is gross. I'd return the scope if you know the old bases and rings are solid and don't have any issues.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?