Thread: Mid October Adak caribou hunt

Default Mid October Adak caribou hunt

I'm new to AK and I happen to have some spare time in mid/late Oct - so I am thinking about heading to Adak in mid Oct to see if I can can get some caribou meat. I've been reading some past threads on the forum to get as much info as possible. While I have lots of lower 48 midwest hunting experience, this will be my first outing in AK, so if anybody has hunting recently in Adak, would you mind sharing some intel on what I should expect and try to avoid? Is Oct even a good time to head out there?

I have a lab that is dying to retrieve some birds- would it be worthwhile to take him for ptarmigan or duck hunting? I will be going by myself, and based on what I have read, there are 4 wheelers and argos available so going alone should not be too problematic....right?

Any contemporary info is appreciated - thanks!

A friend of mine just got back from a trip to Adak hunting bou. They were successful at it taking a couple cows. It is a tough hunt. Be mentally prepared for a lot of hiking. They rented a wheeler for 150 a day and used it to get the meat out. I recall him mumbling something about good raingear. LOL Weather is the critical issue on Adak as the runway has a chain link windsock if this tells you anything. Be prepared and have a great trip !!!
    Pick A Spot

By mid-Oct the bou will be getting 'closer' to town, but the above statement is correct - good rain gear and be prepared to hike. Last year the mid-October folks were working areas about 2-4 miles south of the road system beyond Finger Bay and north of Slaughter Alley. Of course these animals move a lot so on any given day they can be right in front of you as well. Realize it's BIG country...238 square miles and the road system covers about 15% of that. As you say you are looking for meat - that's the right mentality out there. Although there are still a few - it's not the bull factory it used to be years ago.

Local waterfoul should be good -- Ptarmigan are usually plentiful. Most of the migratory stuff moves in and through between November and January...the more exotic stuff comes in later. I always recommend folks to bring out shotguns for birds in case the game is too far to get to.

Get a hold of the map put out by US Fish and Wildlife - the Homer office has them and will mail them. Become familiar with the refuge lands and rules if you need to venture south. Also stay off the military reservation up north - it's seems to have been well posted still. When you arrive, pick up your Native Corp land permit. The gal comes to the airport and it's 30 clams.

Be prepared to not be able to hunt due to weather and hunker down --- or not get in or out due to weather --- plan extra days. If you get in and all else fails - you can shoot rats at the dump.

Hey, thanks for the intel! - rat shooting at the dump, huh? I never thought AK hunting could include such exotics!

Ok - I got my plane tickets. Now I need some help with what items to take with me. I heard ETOH type refreshments are expensive, so I will make the necessary arrangements. I will probably take some food with me, too. But I do have a few questions questions:
    1-I was planning to take a cooler with me to bring the meat back - but I do not know what size to bring. So, how many or how big of coolers should I take? I plan on de-bone the meat the save space/weight. If the hunting gods are smiling on me and if I have enough luck and stamina, I might consider bringing two caribou back.
    2- Some folks told me instead of using coolers to transport the meat, to use wax-lined cardboard boxes. Do they work well? I would worry about blood leakage. Has anybody used them?
    3- I've seen some cloth type bags for packing meat out - are they worth it?
    4- What else do I need to make sure the meat is not tainted getting it back to anchorage?

Thanks for any info!

Yeah, bring some food.The wax boxes usually come with a heavy plastic bag to retain fluids. If not bring contractor bags from Alaska In dustrial Hardware. Good luck hunting.

Drop me a PM for some details that might help. Or email me at lostcreek@ak.net. Also you might check out the Adak Caribou Hunting page on this site. Needs some work and a few pics, but it contains some pretty solid advice.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Adak update is the environmental restoration information website. They have posted the old USFWS hiking map we used as kids out there in the 1980's. It comes in handy and shows really good terrain features.

http://www.adakupdate.com/hiking1.html

Mike you should add this map feature or link to your Adak page. Very nice job on that by the way.

Do not leave your meat in the field overnight, it will not be there when you return. The eagles will find it and eat it till nothing is left, do not ask me how I know. Take powdered nutritional mix to add to the water, drinks are a lot out there, there are 2 stores, but open at odd hours, last time I was there. Take any protein bars you want as there is not much choice in the stores. Everything costs a lot. Some of the bulls are as big as a small elk, so you can get a lot of meat off one. The meat is very good. Get it cooled down and in a cooler with Ice or frozen as soon as possible. Wind, did I say Strong Wind?? It blows hard and alot. Archery hunting at times is almost impossible. Go South on the Road system, it stops at a Quanset hut, there is a trail to the West
    Out that trail you will sometimes get into the Bou's Or go South over Huskey pass, lots of ground to scope out, but a longer pack out. Lots if water all over, take a purifier, I do not trust the water anywhere. Lots of Ptarmigan, you can hunt them off the road system to the north of town. Have fun, oh yea did I say it is Windy out there???

I can attest to wax boxxes working well, prior to moving to Alaska I used to come up fishing every summer. I'd fly up with 2 wax boxxes full of clothes, waders, ect... and fly home with 2 boxxes full of halibut/salmon fillets. I'd usually ship my clothes and stuff back USPS bulk rate. I 2nd the recommendation for contractor bags from AIH they're the ticket for preventing leakage, just get it as cold as possible before bagging to prevent spoilage. I hope to do an Adak trip in the next year or so and plan on using the same method again plus I belevie AK Airlines allows 3 carryons free of charge on in-state flights.

Good luck and we look forward to pic's.