Thread: Last Minute calling question

Default Last Minute calling question

Hunted last three days, saw one bull and one cow. Bull was sublegal and came in "gloinking" at me when I cow called. I stumbled on his rutting pits later and he wouldn't leave. I moved to another area with lots of fresh pits and some scrapes. The tracks are bigger. I didn't call there yet. When I go back should I try a cow call from a short distance or try scraping/thrashing? This place had lots of pits last year also, but I thought it was bear sign, I'm learning.
    In some of the alder thickets there are pits over a foot deep, but old. Could moose also dig to lay in a cool spot?
    Cow call or scrape grunt by the pits??
    Thanks

Cow call from a short distance is my advice. When you hear a bull if he's coming your way give him one more so he can zero in. If he calls and doesn't come turn around and call toward your feet as if your leaving. If he still won't come out then try a grunt but remember if he's got some cows he may vacate the area if he thinks there's another bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I would thrash brush lightly in the pit area and see what happens. I would then move to a cow mewing then if that doesn't work cow call. I wouldn't leave the area if I knew it was freshly used. He won't be far.

Ran across 8 moose tonight out of wasilla. Had a bull and cow grazing on a power line and then I started thrashing an old moose horn. It was a small non legal three spike on each side. He stared in my direction for over 5 minutes but never came in my direction. I'm thinking that he didn't want to mess with a larger bull. Make your own decision on what to do. Maybe a cow thing would work? I don't know, I'm not a moose but I call every year and have them give me attention, at least. So I can't be so bad at it!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks, guys. I cow called a bit. I moved after an hour and stumbled on a fork horn and small paddle eating their way towards where I'd been calling. I ended up scaring three groups of cows where I could hear the bulls grunting to them. I'll go back there next year a little earlier, maybe before they have a bunch of cows with them. I didn't shoot the fork, should have. He was point blank and didn't know I was there.