Thread: Our families first moose.

Default Our families first moose.

July 2010; drove from Seattle to Alaska with family, wife and two sons.
    March 2011; discovered Outdoor Forum!
    March to June 2011; read threads; read books; talked with everyone about moose hunting.
    July and August 2011; 4 weekends with family making a trail up Johnson River for moose hunt.
    30 August; back to Johnson river, setup our camp and look forward to our long awaited moose hunt.
    1 September; in the morning 3 cows and 2 calves; afternoon 6 cow and one calf.
    2 September, no moose seen .
    3 September: 2 cows and one calf and ONE B ULL! 0930 bull down - thanks to great shot by my son made at ab out 75yards!
    SO BIG! The work now began. Looked like a small bull; a bout 35 inches, but so much meat.
    Still, if we took one load the three miles to our car each day we could be done in 4 days. Our family can really use the meat.
    1400; most of moose butchered and ready to be moved to our car out at the read. 1430 Jenny asked what is that? Looked with the binos and saw a guy limping, leading a horse followed by 4 donkeys. We didn’t know what a ‘sourdough” might look like but he sure looked sour. (Jenny later mentioned ‘dougnut’ not sour might be better). He changed his direction a little and when he saw the moose got a big smile and stopped. Asked about the moose and how we got to the river. Told him about making a trail during the summer. His smile got even bigger and made a comment about our being willing to work for our game.
    He asked where our trail was, I told him, he said there was a better trail and he was on way out and he would b e happy to show us. THE BEST PART! HE PUT ALL 466 POUNDS ON THOSE 4 DONKEYS! 2 hours latter our 1 son and I out at the road with all the meat.
    5 september returned home and worked on meat.
    Much of our success and enjouyment of from this hunt was made possible by all the information we got from this Forum. THANK YOU
    WES

Wes, that is an absolutely wonderful report! How cool that your family put in all of that work to make your first moose hunt a success, and how great that you met a great man in the wilderness that was willing to help out! That really is the best of what Alaska is about. I've got to admit that I'm a little jealous - I was born and raised here and most years (including this one) I can't find a moose to save my life, but still, you earned it and I'm super excited for you and your family. Congratulations, and I think I speak for most here in saying that we'd love to see some pictures.

(On a side note, a belated welcome to the forums...and don't be such a stranger! Post more often now that you've made your first one.)

Great first moose experience, luck to you in the future.

What fun!!! So sweet to read of family hunting trips. And donkeys; how exciting.
    Many congrats.
    Connie

That's quite a story - a great story ! Congrats to you and yours and thanks for sharing. Of course we all like to see pictures....

That there just makes me smile. Great adventure and you will remember that one forever I'm sure. Also welcome to the forum. Brians right although it seems so easy by so many write ups here.... moosin ain't easy, I hope your mighty proud of that one because you should be. Legal moose avoid me like the plague and are just about guaranteed safety when im in the woods.
    Cheers
    Jason

The man that helped you sounds like Joe Want and his Mules. One of the alltime great guides of our state and a man that knows more about hunting than any of the want to be's on this site and a realy nice guy!

Very nice story and successful hunt.

Congratulations ! That was one heck of a deal getting your moose packed out for you. You don't know what you missed out on .

Great post! Congrats on your families moose. Now the fun part. Moose steaks, Moose burgers, Lots of great eating!
    My hat is also off to the guy who helped pack it out. That shows some people have CLASS!!

Great story! Needs pics!

Well done for sure - your hard work to lay a trail paid off BIG dividends - very nice!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default thankyou

Thankyou for the many kind commnets. The moose is cut&packaged and delicious.

We got our 35mm slides back and will put up on AOD when we can get them changed. Our friend says the pack animals are mules and not donkies. The mans name was joe something but don't think he said his last name. I asked if we could pay but he said it national familly moose hunting day so he wouldn' take any money. but he had a b ig smile when he said it.

Cann't thank all the members of this sight the with there information helped us so much.

Wes&familly

Sounds like you met Joe Want in the field. What a neat experience...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like some good eating this winter.

Awesome post. Nice to see a newcomer posting about how they got it done vs. tell me how and where to do it.
    Congrats Wes....bet ya can't wait till next year!
    BK

Talk about a great family experience! Happy to hear you all were able to get a moose and even meet some experienced locals along the way.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your hunt.

This is my favorite hunting report of the year. Thanks!

Great job and thanks for the post.

I've read so many excellent hunt reports this year and, this my friend, this is my most appreciated post! Thanks for sharing!