Thread: Valley Moose recovery list

Default Valley Moose recovery list

If someone out there has the info I'm looking for, or someone you can put me in contact with about getting called to pick up a Moose kill here in the Valley this upcoming winter? Wasilla PD told me to call the F&G trooper ... he's not returning voicemails (feel free to use the PM option) Thanx

Go to the nearest Trooper post...either Palmer or the one out off Pittman Rd. They will have a packet with the info you need. They are no longer doing a list for individuals, only for groups. It doesn't have to be a non-profit group and you can form your own group with others. The info will be in the packet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Do the Troopers deal with moose in the Anchorage/Eagle River area as well? I've been bouncing around the idea of starting a roadkill club at the school I teach at where students would learn to butcher a moose and then the meat would be donated to families in our school or in our community. As an added bonus, my forensic science students could do a necropsy on the animal to determine cause of death. (Yes...I know it would be killed by a car...but looking for specific organ damage/failure, etc.) I haven't approached the administration about this idea yet, but if it would work via the Troopers, then I'd love to move forward with it.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-24-2011 at 22:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Do the Troopers deal with moose in the Anchorage/Eagle River area as well? I've been bouncing around the idea of starting a roadkill club at the school I teach at where students would learn to butcher a moose and then the meat would be donated to families in our school or in our community. As an added bonus, my forensic science students could do a necropsy on the animal to determine cause of death. [i](Yes...I know it would be killed by a car...but looking for specific organ damage/failure, etc.) I haven't approached the administration about this idea yet, but if it would work via the Troopers, then I'd love to move forward with it.
    Heck I am in Eagle River and would love to come out and learn how to butcher a moose as well. Been involved in one but there where 4 of us so I did not get much knife time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Brian, check with the Trooper post on Tudor. I'm not sure but I think the city went with the "moose kill recovery business/group" to recover the carcass and deliver it to the next on the list or to a butcher. The trooper post out of Soldotna is in charge of the area around Girdwood - south, including Portage valley/Whittier. To get on the list with them just give them a call and they will fax you the info and application. Read it over, fill out app, and fax it back. I was called twice last year (both for road killed bears - missed out on a moose). They will call in order of the list but they set the lists up by response zones. Good luck!

Brian- Our highschool has started exactly what you are proposing. The shop class just finished up a butchering building to process the moose.

I was talking to my wife and she said she remember that in the Anchorage area they have set up a truck to recover the moose and then deliver them to ?? The idea was that it was too dangerous for a group of people to be parked on the side of the Glen butchering a moose with all the traffic.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Brian- Our highschool has started exactly what you are proposing. The shop class just finished up a butchering building to process the moose.
    Good to know. I have a friend who teaches there, so I'll bend his ear and see what he can tell me or who I need to talk to. I doubt this is going to happen this year, but I want to start laying the groundwork.

I'm headed over at 3:00 to drag the "moose shed" out of the shop with my backhoe. One more step closer

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I believe your friend is the individual that spearheaded the entire effort-- I'm the principal there and our PE teacher is leading the charge through grants and donations. I just picked up a donated battery today that will operate the trailer winch this winter. Fantastic opportunity for young people to learn a great skill that will last them a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Do the Troopers deal with moose in the Anchorage/Eagle River area as well? I've been bouncing around the idea of starting a roadkill club at the school I teach at where students would learn to butcher a moose and then the meat would be donated to families in our school or in our community. As an added bonus, my forensic science students could do a necropsy on the animal to determine cause of death. (Yes...I know it would be killed by a car...but looking for specific organ damage/failure, etc.) I haven't approached the administration about this idea yet, but if it would work via the Troopers, then I'd love to move forward with it.
    This is why I love America..... please dont take no for an answer.... our kids need these kind of programs for sure....

god bless and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I believe your friend is the individual that spearheaded the entire effort-- I'm the principal there and our PE teacher is leading the charge through grants and donations. I just picked up a donated battery today that will operate the trailer winch this winter. Fantastic opportunity for young people to learn a great skill that will last them a lifetime.
    Fantastic! I'll have to give Steve a call sometime this winter and bend his ear about how he went about getting this going.

Didn't know my kid's principal was on here. I'd better be careful

Anyhow...one word describes our efforts this afternoon...Fail... I'll be back tomorrow to try again. Something to do with a building being too wide for the door (by a tiny bit) combined with not having enough room to pull straight with the backhoe.

Default I ... will ... not ... laugh ...

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Anyhow...one word describes our efforts this afternoon...Fail... I'll be back tomorrow to try again. Something to do with a building being too wide for the door (by a tiny bit) combined with not having enough room to pull straight with the backhoe.
    I'm sorry, but this is a classic.

Actually the classic is building a boat indoors that is too big to fit through the door, but you're close enough.

This is especially funny to me, because I DID build a boat indoors (a million years ago), and without fail, the very first comment everyone ever said when they heard is "Will it fit through the door when you're done?"

Not: "Oh, that's a great project for a 13 year old to do by himself."

Not: "Oh, that's weird that you're building a sailboat and you've never been on one."

No. Every darned comment was about my door.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Funny stuff, good thing we're all professionals.

LMAO- You'd think the shop teacher would have measured better ... No harm, no foul. They removed the roof steel that overhung a bit and we pulled it out this afternoon. My son and his buddy stuck around to help put the metal back on. We'll put it in place on Thursday.

Back when I was in college my roomate was an architecture major. He'd never built a thing in his life and he had to build a scale model of a house. The one thing he didn't measure was the door. Everyday, I'd walk into our room and watch that thing grow. Eventually the day came to take it to class and whammo...three inches too big

Brian, call Steve. He'll give you the lowdown on the whole opperation.