DM766 hunt November
Anyone else draw this tag for a muzzleloader hunt in November? I had this tag a few years ago and got a small bull in 2008. Anyways, the boudary for this hunt in now out past the Wood River. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with where to cross the Tanana down by Birch/Lost lake and if this is even possible in November with a snowmachine.
Or...if anyone who has this tag is looking for a partner to split a fly-in hunt. Anyways, you can PM me if you don't want to reply to this post.
I have the same tag.
Access is the biggest issue I see. Hope for snow and cold so we can cross the Tanana and use the snogos. Although I've never used it and am not certain EXACTLY where it is, there is a xing on the Tanana near Birch Lake. I think I know where it is, just never used it so I can't say for sure. I may be going solo and haven't ruled out flying in. We could chat sometime - good luck.
Have the samepermit:
Looking for access information as well. I've sledded in late November from theParks Highway to about three miles of the Wood River before, thatís thefurthest Iíve been from that direction. Notsure what to expect at the Wood River ďEarly or Late NovemberĒ. I'm told by a reliable guide itís too deep tocross early November.
Tried ferrying my UTV across the Tanana last year near Birch lake during anearlier hunt. Interesting experience. Decided to give it up, no hunt worth that kindof effort. Not saying that I wouldn't try it again under better conditions.
Birch Lake early November:
Have a coupleof Caterafts that should be able to ferry an ATV or snow-go early November atthe river crossing near Birch Lake providing water levels are lower than what Iexperienced last year.
Iíve also heard if waterlevel is low enough one may be able to drive their ATV or UTV across Tanana, near Birch Lake?? Notsure if thatís crazy idea or not even if it could be done.. Backup plan makes since???
Also concerned about getting dumped on with snow should I try to hunt theearlier November with ATV or UTV.
Late Novemberfridged cold conditions with snow-go makes most since this hunt I suppose..
If I make it home in time, I will be going no matter what. Will be borrowing/renting a sled since I lost the lower end in my widetrack 2 days before I left for work. Also keeping the option open for taking a wheeler. Hope not though! Hopefully will have a new tent too. Probably be kinda crowded with me, myself, and I. Good luck to those of you who make an effort on this one this year. Wish I've seen more of this area but it won't stop me from going. Cross your fingers for -40 and a foot of snow!!
Hunt Boundary Change - yahoo