Thread: questions for kodiak goat hunters

Default questions for kodiak goat hunters

i'm in the very early stages of planning a goat hunt on kodiak next year and was looking for a little helpful advice. i'm not looking for anyones secret goat spots or anything just some general info. i'm trying to get a couple buddies of mine to all put in for one area hoping at least somebody draws and the rest fo us can deer hunt. I'm open to suggestions but i'm thinking DG475,DG477,or DG471. Anyone try one of these hunts? Is access tough? FLy out from kodiak or somewhere else? Expensive (prices)? These look like the more remote tougher places to go with higher goat populations and better drawing chances (probably for a reason). If anyone has some local knowledge that maybe wants to help on this hunt in return for some help hunting out of kotzebue maybe we can figure something out. Anyways looking forward to trying for a goat hopefully it all works out. Thanks
    Justin

I drew a tag out of Larson Bay several years back(not sure what GMU that is) and it was a tough area to get into. Lots of bad weather etc. but I guess that is kodaik....

I would recomend call a few air services to see what there recomendations are or at least what area's they like to drop people off at and then check those locations..Also check on the success/draw % for those area's...(typically the more people that apply to an area the better that area is.. I could be wrong on that)

The main thing to remember is be ready and prepaired to be delayed at either end of your trip...

good luck

thanks, ive crunched the numbers so far for the kodiak units. the north and south road systems are the worst odds of drawing but offer good chances of connecting (both draws about 7% chance of being drawn). Hunter success has varied in most units most likely due to weather and other factors. Were all three of us around thirty years old, pretty decent shape and not too afraid of hiking, however i'm not sure i want to whip out the ice screws,strap on the crampons and bust out ice axes. I guess we'll see I'd like to try to go as early as posible to keep as safe as possible weather wise but i'm not familiar with kodiaks weather. I read about rain/freezing rain/high winds are the norm. We all live in the arctic so cold weather and wind is really nothing new. I'm really looking forward to trying something new.

There are some registration hunts with high success. Just gonna work for it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The farther south you go the more it will cost on the bush flight, but the registration area on the south end holds a lot of goats & plenty of access. You should be able to find goats on any of the drawings. Sehawk air & Andrews both fly beavers & are comparable in price, so either one will be a good choice. Talk to the bio after the season & see what they say, the hardest part of your hunt will be the weather. If you have a few good days you will find goats.

thanks for the info guys.

I just got back. Flight costs depend on weight. Usually 800, 1200, 1500lbs limits. All depends. Look at $1400 round trip on the high end. Bring another friend (party hunt) and that will lower the costs. Those weights also include the persons. But on my hunt, we didn't go light and we still just made 800 lbs on the way in.

I will recommend the BEST tent you can afford. And still hope it holds up. Good mountaineering boots are mandatory as are trekking poles.

Be prepared for WET. There is no such thing as dry Kodiak, even when sunny. Lots of extra pairs of socks.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

AKMarmot is right weather and/or time is your biggest challenge. At the end of August I was lucky enough to go on a 480 hunt with a friend of mine. It was a great hunt and we got two really nice billies however, we got lucky with the weather. We only had a few days (because I took it on short notice) even though we had fog, wind and rain the weather was cooperative enough to get it done in two and half days but, it took another day and half to get back to Kodiak due to weather. As soon as I got back to Kodiak (Labor Day weekend)I helped a friend of mine from the Mat-Su Valley get a goat on South Road System. Once again, he had five days to get his goat and the weather was not cooperating. Fog, Fog, Fog and rain, rain, rain and then some more fog just to make it interesting. There were plenty of goats however, most of the time you could not see them. We would hike up to goat country and wait for the fog to clear and although we had goats around us everyday it was almost impossible to see them. He got his goat on the last day of his hunt. If we would have had good weather we would have probably been able to get one a little sooner.

South end goat hunts require around two hours of flight time (there and back twice) so they can get pretty expensive but, offer good access and good goats. All of the Kodiak hunts have pretty solid goat populations so you probably cannot go wrong if you draw. Over the next few weeks, I am going to help a buddy go on a RG 476 hunt so, fingers crossed for the hat trick. Since we both live in Kodiak we will go when the weather cooperates. I would recommend talking to John Crye from the ADF&G in the Kodiak office he has a wealth of information.

Sounds like you are in good shape, so if you spend the time/effort to get to goat country, you get some decent weather/gear you will have a good chance at getting your goat. They generally like to stay high so as usual the best optics that you can get your hands on will make sure that you get the billy that you are looking for and not spend your time chasing down a nanny as it can be tough to tell from a distance. Best of luck... PS Just got back from a great Caribou hunt in your neck of the woods up on the North Squirell.