Thread: Hunting gear in AK

Default Hunting gear in AK

The wife and kids and I are looking into moving to Alaska next year. The current plan is to come do a looksy after tax time, look at the jobs on the ground ( I'm a unemployed CNC machinist and the wifes a CNA ) to see if there are jobs for us. I'm already looking at a used Remington 700 in .338 ( only had a few rounds ( 3 ) go through it, his hunting trip to Montana fell thru ). My question is about gear. Whats the best gear ? Is the prices reasonable there or bring it with me ? I like Juneau area but seems more jobs for me in Anchorage area so gear suggestions would be helpful. I live in Vermont so cold I know. I use a wood stove in winter but I see alot of homes with looks like space heaters on the wall. Any help would be great, my wifes cousin and her husband want to move to AK too and we'll all be coming tax refund season ( may ) depending on flights. My wife is from the Philippines so we know long flights. Brian

Tons of folks on this forum with a wealth of information on the outdoors, hunting, fishing and gear. If you posted more specific questions on what kind of gear you're referring to, I'm sure you'll get more detailed responses. Plenty of places to buy gear up there in Anchorage. In Juneau, I'm sure there's a place or two, but not as many as Anchorage.

Good luck on the move!

Hunting Gear in/for AK... Probably a lot of what you already have would work perfectly well in Alaska... There are several very good outlets in Anchorage that sell excellent hunting gear.. and there is always Cabela's and Bass Pro and ??? on the internet.. I'd guess the prices are reasonable... You can beat the local prices on the internet, but when you add on the shipping the local prices are usually a nickle or two better... Except when Cabela's and some of the others offer free shipping as they have been doing lately to stir up business... Good idea to do the looksy... Good luck in your ventures...

i suppose a lot of the gear your going to buy is going to depend on where your going to be at. Being in anc you'll have access to different weather than being isolated in juneau. Anc there will always be the chance to travel north so your location will dictate. some of the really great gear i've found up here is not readily available in the lower 48 so you may have a hard time finding certain things. I didn't really think the prices in anc were a whole lot different than lower 48 prices anyhow and it will cost more to move a bunch of stuff up here instead of buying it locally and not having to pay to ship it. It can be kind of hard moving up here (i did it a few years ago) but its a nice change for the pace of life down there. good luck. your gear can make all the difference up here so remember you usually get what you pay for.

Welcome to Alaska! There are a couple of sections on this forum... one for selling gear and another for firearms. I've picked up several good deals on hunting stuff right here from this forum. Check it out! Of course, there is Craigslist and other online sites to buy used stuff. Also, when you come up on your job recon, check out the sporting goods stores in Anchorage. I think, as has already been stated, you'll find that prices really aren't that high. Might be a good idea to wait until you get here permanently to pick up the exact things you'll need based on what you're hunting and where.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...a-Outdoor-Gear

Read back many pages and use the search function for specific questions.. If you can't find what you are looking for I'm sure a detailed post about boots, underwear earmuffs...etc.. will be a good thing.

Layers is my advise. Avoid cotton in wet weather. Sharp knives and clean guns...4 wheeler..propane heaters..non-thumb destroying come-a-longs..Whiskey for cold nights..Matches and Bic lighters..Lots more listed in the Outdoor gear section.

A good Rocky Patel and a bottle of Basil Haydens should be standard on every packing list.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Check out the Shooting Forum here for all things gun related. There's certainly nothing wrong a 700 in .338. I prefer stainless and no junk optics. Leopold and Zeiss are a good start. The Outdoor Gear forum towards the bottom will answer all your gear questions as others have said, from socks to back packs. Good luck.

junkak's suggestion of layers is spot-on, and I would add to that that your base layer should consist of merino wool (as should your socks). Your priority for outer layers should be water resistance, as Alaska can be wet, and being wet can kill. If your outermost layer is waterproof (and ideally semi-breathable) and your base layer is insulating (and ideally still insulating when wet), then you'll be golden. As for the rest (tents, boots, etc.) and the specifics (brands, etc.), check out the gear forum.