Thread: Care and handling of fresh shrimp

Default Care and handling of fresh shrimp

After pulling up a fresh pot of our beautiful PWS shrimp comes the job of handling and preparing. Improper handling can result in some awful, even dangerous results. What is your recommended procedure for safe handling of shrimp to prevent loss or waste of fresh caught shrimp? What is practical, what do you not want to avoid? How about some do's and don'ts --

lots of ice

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yea, ice. I dump mine from the pots into a bucket, then into zip lock baggies and into the cooler with ice on bottom and top. Heads can come off before the tails go into the baggies, or later on. I think the main thing is to not let them get the least bit warm. I have noticed that overnight, the shrimp will turn a darker color. Don't really notice it until you set them next to fresh caught shrimp. Never had bad tasting shrimp, although I'd sure like to know why some are chalky/mushy.

How long will fresh shrimp last on ice alone. Are we talking 24 hours or more? Can you tell by visual inspection whether shrimp have spoiled?

Default How long do they last

When we go for a 2 or day weekend, we pop the heads and ice them on the boat, for the day, get back to the motor home and clean, eat (gorge) them and put the rest in the fridge until we get home. This could be 3-4 days in the firdge, so why not on ice for that long. But be sure to ice good, top and bottom. I have never noticed any spoilage or loss of flovor on ours.

Smile How long do they last

When we go for a 2 or day weekend, we pop the heads and ice them on the boat, for the day, get back to the motor home and clean, eat (gorge) them and put the rest in the fridge until we get home. This could be 3-4 days in the firdge, so why not on ice for that long. But be sure to ice good, top and bottom. I have never noticed any spoilage or loss of flovor on ours. Some times we don't pop the heads until back at camp though, still no problem if iced!
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 05-13-2007 at 18:30.

although I'd sure like to know why some are chalky/mushy
    ME TOO! I bought some shrimp from a street vendor about a month ago. Worst tasting shrimp I have ever eaten, chalky and mushy! Cocktail/salad shrimp tasted better than the ones I bought. I love shrimp but that really turned me away.

Default mushy shrimp and care

i was told the shrimp in early spring are mush because of food source. once salmon show up they are fed better. to me so far seems correct.

then for care; when i pop the heads off. I seperate the heads by grabbing the shrimp around the head and the other hand on the tail. bring your index fingers upward while pushing your pinkies toward each other. and at the same time pull hands away from each other. this way usually deturds them and might have to pull the rest of the poop chute out. then good to go. put in a gallon baggie then on ice. once home after two or three days out. rinse really good in cold water, get the slime off. then drain good and put in a large bowl, what is left over after gorging yourselves. put plastice wrap on top of shrimp and then fill up with ice on top of the plastic. will last the rest of week like that. keep them dry and cold. or freeze in a new clean baggie and fill with water and freeze. hope that helps. it does really good for me. learned the bowl thing from a professional chef from Orso's. good shrimping to all.

once cleaned we pack them in a zip lock bag and put them on ice. We have had them all weekend on ice and they were fine.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

seems to me like the mushy ones were caught later in the season and did anybody notice more shrimp with eggs on'em later in the season? I think they get mushy closer to the spawning time???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Mushy shrimp

The time of year does not matter on mushy shrimp. I might get 3-4 in a pull of 200-250 shrimp through out the year that are mushy. I think it has to do more with their life cycle of growing or their change of sex. Changing from a male to a female probably has some affects on their body besides the obvious.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We may be discussing two different issues. What I call mushy shrimp is what Dave is talking about. Once in awhile one will just be chalky and mushy while the rest are fine.

Default Freezing shrimp

I will rinse the shrimp tails in cold water, put enough for dinner (about 1-2 pounds) onto freezer paper and wrap them making sure that you get at least 2 wraps of paper around them, while folding the ends in. I then vacuum pack them, The paper stops there tails from puncturing the plastic. I eat them at least once a week, or more, for the whole winter. They are very close to being as good as fresh. Most people are surprised to find out that they are 5 months old. I'm down to about my last 15-20 packages. Thank goodness April 15 will be here soon! Good Fishen' to you!