Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spike/Fork paddle bulls?

Default Spike/Fork paddle bulls?

In another thread we were having a discussion on whether paddle bulls were legal or not under the spike/fork regulation. I put a PM in with the 'Ask the Alaska Widlife Trooper' section here and haven't heard anything back. Since I haven't, I'll see what the masses think.

On page 34 of the regs, it states:

'A bull is legal if it has one antler on either side the is a SPIKE (2 point) or a FORK (2 points). The antler on the other side can be any configuration. Bulls with palmated antlers (paddles) seldom are legal under the "spike or fork" requirement.'

The last sentence in that quote is what is in question. Because the sentence is there in the first place, it means that palmated bulls ARE legal sometimes as spike/forks.

Here's the question:

Say you see a small bull that has one point that appears to be a brow tine and then a thin paddle with no points accompanying that 'brow tine'. Do you shoot?

Remember, on page 33 of the regs, it says "A point or tine is an antler projection at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide, with the width measured one inch or more from the tip."

Reading that sentence, the thin palm (antler projection) is a second 'point' because it is A) over an inch long, and B) longer than it is wide.

BOOM....is my thoughts...

Convince me I'm wrong and I'll give you five bucks...

The whole complicated thing is just freakin ridiculous. Who would ever have thought, even 20 years ago, that hunting moose in Alaska would become so restrictive and convoluted.

Sorry. I just find it so vexing.

Ok, I'll bite.

I just go by the illustration, which just shows the two point fork. But he only needs the fork on one side to be legal.

Boom, you are correct.....meat in the freezer!

I took this picture at fish and game

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Mike, did the bull on the top left have 3 tines on his left side?

I also wonder if the right antler (as we look at it) of that moose has more than 2 points that are over 1" long and longer than they are wide. In this pic it appears to only have 2 points though both are somewhat palmated.

FYI, If you watch the "is this bull legal" video you will have confirmation of you suspicion regarding the paddle bull you describe. If there are no points off of it then the paddle itself "is" the point. If there is one single countable point protruding from the paddle it is time to keep looking.

One single countable point that meets both criteria of a point...correct...

By definition I understand it would be a legal animal, I have some doubt that I would recall that in time to pull the trigger before he walked away.

I had an experience with this a couple years back. Our group saw a bull just like the one you're describing. I was the only one in the group that said it was legal. I was able to quote verbatum the rules on what a point is, what defines a fork, etc... Long story short, nobody listened to "the kid" so we went back to camp. I pulled out the regs once back at camp and showed them why it was legal. A lot of heads dropped low and a few grumblings were muttered. I think they realized they had just missed out on some good eatin'.... If that situation happens again, I'll just go ahead and shoot. More meat for me!

Legal or not???

This was a pickup shed.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Legal or not???

This was a pickup shed.
    I would say yes it is legal. Two distinct points with no paddle which by definition is a forked antler. As to the original question on to pull the trigger on the single brow tine with the small paddle, no. My understanding is it is not legal. If the opposite side was a spike or a forked antler having only two points, then yes. Sticking one finger up is a rough idea of what a spike would look like. Stick two fingers up in a peace sign and think of that on top of your single finger is a forked antler. Anything more than those are illegal as I understand it. Sorry for the dumbed down explanation, just a easy way I can visualize the two.

AZinAK

wow that is a scary picture... I would have pulled the trigger on this....There is no way that small point would be visible at any distance without scalping him first...

yikes

Legal or not???

This was a pickup shed.
    I'd shoot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I'd say as long as the bull has a clear paddle that's not palmated ie growing upwards with a clear set of separated brow tines.

A paddle in developing stages with points (by definition) longer than wider, I'd call that a shooter.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Legal or not???

This was a pickup shed.
    My eyes tell me yes, but my gut says I'm falling into a trap. I say 'legal'
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

How about this one??? He was hanging around the house when I got back from moose hunting ;-) https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1552761594319
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for starting this thread. My cousin and i had a disagreement on this subject. I found a full body skeleton of a young bull this year that had been shot in a previous year. I brought the skull out so that i could figue out if it was a legal bull in a spike/fork area? This was the rules in the area i found it. So someone either shot and couldn't find him or left him lay because they thought he was illegal. My cousin and i have differing opions. Just so you know i brought it to fish & game and to a trooper to get their input, so i have an answer from them and it was the same by allAttachment 53315Attachment 53316. How would you call it?

How about this one??? He was hanging around the house when I got back from moose hunting ;-) https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1552761594319

Nice! I wouldn't even consider it. Wouldn't want to explain the broken antler.
    Last edited by akpappy; 09-24-2011 at 14:58. Reason: to clearify

Legal or not???

This was a pickup shed.
    I wouldn't think very hard on this from what i can see. Full freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast