Thread: Cross-Over Boat

Default Cross-Over Boat

For the longest time I've been dead set on getting a boat that I could easily take out into PWS. Now, after more consideration and thought, I've come to the realization that I should be looking for something else next year when I go to get a boat.

To begin, I am located in Fairbanks. So, with that being said, I think the boat I really need is kind of a crossover boat that I can take on both rivers as well as get out into the salt a bit.

In particular, my uses would be to maybe do a bit of hunting inland, head out to Minto Flats for pike fishing/duck hunting and get out into the ocean a bit for whatever. I figure it should be big enough that I can get out into the sound a bit for some halibut and exploration.

With all of this being said, the boat that I have come up with is a 18-20 Hewescraft Sportsman that I can switch out the lower units between jet and prop.

Anybody have have thoughts on this? Is there other boats I might want to consider? I am really open to suggestions and want to hear thoughts on the subject. The only thing I am kind of holding fast to is having an outboard for a motor at this point. Thanks all.

Cheers,

PK

20 foot minimum IMO, 18 foot boat will get small in a hurry, I have a 20 footer I take to Homer, Minto flats, Salcha......I thought it would be big enough and its a darn good do it all rig, but am thinking bigger someday. Generally no disadvantages to bigger, maybe more fuel burned........?
    But a big motor turning less rpm can do well on fuel also........

The Sportsmans a neat boat had would work fine, the 66" wide bottom is a good choice, 72 would be better IMO.
    Swapping lower units is the way to go, a OB jet in the salt is a PITA, and the prop will save you some fuel, you will need (want) a lift to make the switch easier..

We have a lot of fun in Homer, I try to get out early and usally dont go out much more than 10-15 miles and that can be plenty far if the weather picks up and it can in a hurry, and really no reason to go that far just to catch fish. There is a lot to see and do in close.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default wooldridge sport 2000

recommend the 20ft wooldridge Sport or Sportstour
    I have the Sport and actually use it more on the ocean than the river (just cause there is better fishing)

there is a guy on the forums who runs his Sport to Montague using a prop

after probably about 20 ocean trips,...............only one time had a problem with seaweed in the intake,
    was able to get it out with my hands leaning over the back while my buddy held my leg...................

cavitates a little in bigger chop and have to slow down to 12 mph to keep from slamming the hull, b
    but slogs through it just fine up to a solid 2-1/2 steep faced chop.

whatever you get, most people recommend a windshield, self draining bow with large drain holes, bow rails, a motor splashwell or a 25" transom, place to keep at least 300 ft of primary rode with anchor and chain, and also a 150 ft "lunchhook" rode/anchor/chain for emergency.

the sport also goes through 5 or 6 inches in the rivers when on step, it draws about 10" at rest, and recommend 18 to 24 inches to get on step

I have the Hewes Sportsman with the 200 sportjet and it's been a great crossover boat. I've run it from Homer, Whittier, Seward to the Yetna, Deshka and Knik rivers. It works good in all those areas, but not great. I've run as skinny as I've ever needed to on the river, but I have to watch the weather in PWS as well. Good luck in your search as there is no perfect crossover boat out there. Two boats is what ya need.

My choice for the use you mention, this is my 22' FishRite Explorer inboard jet. Meets my expectations handily. I think you are on the right track, but as mentioned by others I would go 20' minimum up to 22'. A extended transom would be a nice bonus since you sound stuck on the outboard part of it. Be sure to choose carefully the days you put it on the salt, being mindful of the weather is of utmost importance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would look at inboard jets as well. The length of the boat is the variable you will need to use to decide on how much of a slant you want for the salt vs. the skinny rivers. The bigger the boat, the better it will perform in the salt and the worse it will be on the rivers (like when you get it stuck). Also, for the salt trim tabs make a marginal boat much more usable when the waves pick up.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    20 foot minimum IMO, 18 foot boat will get small in a hurry, I have a 20 footer I take to Homer, Minto flats, Salcha......I thought it would be big enough and its a darn good do it all rig, but am thinking bigger someday. Generally no disadvantages to bigger, maybe more fuel burned........?
    But a big motor turning less rpm can do well on fuel also........

The Sportsmans a neat boat had would work fine, the 66" wide bottom is a good choice, 72 would be better IMO.
    Swapping lower units is the way to go, a OB jet in the salt is a PITA, and the prop will save you some fuel, you will need (want) a lift to make the switch easier..

We have a lot of fun in Homer, I try to get out early and usally dont go out much more than 10-15 miles and that can be plenty far if the weather picks up and it can in a hurry, and really no reason to go that far just to catch fish. There is a lot to see and do in close.
    I agree 150% with Ak Gramps... Had an 18ft Hewes River Runner with twin 4 stk 40 Yamahaha's (props) and it took us anywhere we wanted to go, but always wished we had the 20ft when loaded up with gear and a moose... go for the 20 footer, with good electronics.. pay attention to the wx and you'll do fine....

maybe a klamath type semi v would work
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Default If you dont mind a drive this looks like a steal

I would love this boat but I already have to much money and time into mine.

http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/f...hp?f=39&t=7199