Thread: What do you receive for a fly-out from Happy Valley (North Slope)?

Default What do you receive for a fly-out from Happy Valley (North Slope)?

I visited the Happy Valley airstrip and asked about their airfares for hunters. I was told the current price was $750 (round-trip) for two hunters and their equipment. I did not hear how many caribou were included in this price. I understand there was concern about keeping your equipment weight to the minimum. I imagine you could bring out multiple caribou but there would be an additional cost. Does anyone know how many caribou are included with the base price? Thanks.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I would have gotten on the plane right then. Last i heard it was much, much more expensive then that. what air carrier did you get that quote from?

Yeah that's a smoking deal even if you had to pay 750 each for two more flights to haul meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

TRM: I would guess this is a short trip out in the 70*N Helio and with light gear and two reasonable sized guys you may be able to take two caribou out in one trip. This is based on a trip a buddy and I did in a Helio out of Aniak a few years back. But you could call Mike and check on his weight limits.

Mike charges $750 an hour so it depends how far you fly and how many trips in and out it takes.

Weight limit on 70 North's helio is right around 700 lbs (passengers plus gear) though they prefer it to be a bit lower than that.

Not to get off the subject but for Info. purpose: Helios are much more expensive to operate and maintain, if used commercially for business the overhaul hours are much less than a cessna 206, its like 1400 hours ( from what I was told).... not only that, parts are getting harder to come by for them. they say if you you plan on buying a helio, get two....so you can use the other for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Not to get off the subject but for Info. purpose: Helios are much more expensive to operate and maintain, if used commercially for business the overhaul hours are much less than a cessna 206, its like 1400 hours ( from what I was told).... not only that, parts are getting harder to come by for them. they say if you you plan on buying a helio, get two....so you can use the other for parts.
    Now, if only it wasn't illegal to use a helo for transporting to hunt....
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

From Bushplanes.com:The Helio Courier was produced in several different versions from 1954. In modern times the Courier has been produced in limited batches and is reputedly currently close to being produced again. Very few planes offered the STOL performance of the Helio Courier and the only practical alternative for those seeking better STOL performance are helicopters. Helios comfortably seat four adults, though some models featured seating for six.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lure View Post
    From Bushplanes.com:The Helio Courier was produced in several different versions from 1954. In modern times the Courier has been produced in limited batches and is reputedly currently close to being produced again. Very few planes offered the STOL performance of the Helio Courier and the only practical alternative for those seeking better STOL performance are helicopters. Helios comfortably seat four adults, though some models featured seating for six.
    If and When they re-introduce the helio Courier again......It won't be cheap !!!
    Go check out the new "Supercub on Steroids" the "Sherpa" it sort of resembles the helio (IMO) Its in the testing stages and going thru stringent certifications, they are building them in Oregon (I think) and a price tag around $800K ............Ouch!!!